It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nevada Northern Shout-Out on CBS' "Big Bang Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:39 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
For the second time since the show started ten-some years ago, the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory has highlighted starring character Sheldon Cooper's love of trains by drawing attention to real-life railroad preservation experiences within reach of the show's setting in Pasadena, California.

This time, it involves an actual "engineer for a weekend" experience offered by the Nevada Northern Railway (which, as a perusal of the line's website shows, really is offered, albeit a bit cheaper than the supposed "$4,000" it cost the other character on the show......

CBS promo for the episode, which aired tonight; a "rebroadcast" should be available via the CBS website starting Friday the 10th, at least in the United States:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theor ... ng-theory/

I won't spoil it for anyone, but one glaring boo-boo creeps into the last part of the show.

The previous occasion was a trip on the Napa Valley Wine Train, with exquisite accuracy on far too many details.

Post subject: Re: Nevada Northern Shout-Out on CBS' "Big Bang Theory"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:10 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I won't spoil it for anyone, but one glaring boo-boo creeps into the last part of the show.

I will admit that I was a little disappointed when I first saw the "glaring boo-boo", but once the whole last part of the show had played through, I was a little more OK with it since it made more sense then.

Still, I wish they had gone with the real thing. That would have been amazing!

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:36 am 

In as much as the show projects idiot savants living insular lives, who can do tensor analysis but are unable to talk to women (in one case, at all, absent alcohol) unable to effectively socialize with others, afflicted with disabling peculiarities and obsessions, and the Sheldon Cooper character is the ne plus ultra of these characters; do you consider this a positive thing?

Or is it just a matter of there is no such thing as bad publicity? If there's been an uptick in comic book sales, then the affections of these characters might be a good thing, rather than a marginalizing obsession.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:36 am 

I was stuck on the phone during that part of the episode, but one thing I saw that bothered me was Sheldon "Pumping" the throttle. The lack of a fireman in the cab, and that it obviously wasn't a coal burner, which the NN is, would probably not bother the general public. It was a funny dream scene though!
I don't know if the way the writers treat railroad enthusiasts helps or hurts us, it certainly does "paint" us as oddballs.
US??? ODD????
Oh well, my other hobbies are not considered "mainstream" either (Player Pianos & model Ts and As).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:39 pm 

Well the hype was all for the Nevada Northern, but the engineer Sheldon dream scene was shot at Travel Town.

Greg

Travel Town Railroad Museum
Nevada Southern Railroad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:03 pm 

Well, let's see, Hollywood is at the bottom of Griffith Park, Travel Town is on the North end--in the "hood." Nevada Northern is hundreds of miles away. Per Diem for crew on two-to three day trip vs afternoon nearby. Five-minute segment of episode. Number of viewers that would know the difference. Hmm, I think I can see the budget decision from here!
:)
I got a kick out of the "locomotive engine" Sheldon was welding on. . I'm guessing he read a book on wire welding??? Oh, and then the locomotive he "runs" is a steam engine. . .
Well, it IS Hollywood. . .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 pm 

David Dewey wrote:
I got a kick out of the "locomotive engine" Sheldon was welding on. . I'm guessing he read a book on wire welding??? Oh, and then the locomotive he "runs" is a steam engine. . .
Well, it IS Hollywood. . .

So did any railroad locomotive actually use a V6-71 Detroit diesel as a prime mover?

The EMC Model 40 uses an inline 6-71, but it is an oddball, half truck/half locomotive. :-)

Travel Town Railroad Museum
Nevada Southern Railroad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:27 am 

I really laughed when they showed him welding on that engine. I mumbled something like "They should try to get an 16-cyl ALCO 251C up the stairs". My wife looked over and said what ?

SixAxleAlco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:46 am 

There is no downside - anything that provides a positive image to the general public is good for us all, accuracy be damned. If it brings just a few interested people closer to us it's all for the good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:09 am 

superheater wrote:
In as much as the show projects idiot savants living insular lives, who can do tensor analysis but are unable to talk to women (in one case, at all, absent alcohol) unable to effectively socialize with others, afflicted with disabling peculiarities and obsessions, and the Sheldon Cooper character is the ne plus ultra of these characters; do you consider this a positive thing?

Or is it just a matter of there is no such thing as bad publicity? If there's been an uptick in comic book sales, then the affections of these characters might be a good thing, rather than a marginalizing obsession.

To all of you who are finding fault with this subject I will remind you that this is a TV Show, a comedy and is meant to be entertainment not a documentary. By they remarks of "Superheater" I hope this is not how you treat people who are not of your kind. The tone of your remarks make me feel you have all the answers and know what is best. I don't appreciate the fact that you post behind a nick name and dont have the courage to use your real name and face the world. I hope that what ever museum or restoration project your involved in you dont treat the public or you fellow workers this way but I would bet a dollar you do. It is this kind of attitude that drives people away from from this board. You have a comment about everything that you dont agree with. I am sorry this is a rant and if it is deleted by a moderator I understand. But you need to lighten up "Francis".

I work with three different individuals in a museum restoration setting all have varying degrees of OCD, Attention Deficit Issues and other social issues. They are intelligent human beings and I can see some Sheldon, Raja, and Howard in all of them but it does not make them any less and they have skills, knowledge and enthusiasm that overshadow the other issues. I also might add one of them is somewhat a savant when it comes to modern diesel locomotive engines. It is this attitude of yours that has caused many to stop posting on this board.

John Deck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:45 pm 

Wow John, I thought Superheater's comments were somewhat valid, although a bit dated (I assume he hasn't followed the show as Raja now talks to women and has had girlfriends), and academical. The characters have evolved into somewhat believable people, although, for comedy's sake still a bit "over the top." If anything, I think it has made Nerds (I'm probably one) more acceptable in society. I can't imagine this show being popular in the 1960s, can you?
What I did notice is that Sheldon did not look like Sheldon in the dream sequence, although since it was Amy's dream, maybe that's how she sees him! Hmm, that would explain a few things. . . :)
Now as for the glaring error at the end of the show, I missed it. Oh well, there's re-runs. There's a few errors for those familiar with the Nevada Northern. One, their engine are coal burners, that was filmed in an oil burner. Two, they don't have an engine number 29.
But now I'm sounding like Sheldon! Well, I will admit that in a few cab rides, I was allowed to blow the whistle! I love the sound of a well-quilled steam whistle in the cold morning air. . .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:53 pm 

And this has what to do with preservation?

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:14 pm 

Popularity+perception=money=preservation

Maybe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A big heapin' dose of free publicity to the concept that "engineer for an hour/day/weekend experiences" really DO exist at many excursion railroads.

Just like the earlier episode on the Napa Valley Wine Train might have exposed many to the idea that there really are some fine dining experiences to be had aboard trains. (Though, hopefully, not with either extreme geekery or a boisterously loud group of women aboard during your intended-to-be-romantic ride....)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:53 pm 

Sheldon likes trains. BFD. Please move it to the railfan board moderators. If a discussion of a significant grade crossing accident can be moved there why not this?

Robby Peartree