It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SP 9010 lives!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm 

SP9010 back among the living! https://www.facebook.com/Southern-Pacific-9010-186409164738195/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Post subject: Re: SP 9010 lives!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:13 pm 

There's also a YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLe1zBxkag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:55 pm 

This is one of the greatest stories in Diesel preservation i know exactly how you felt.......and yet we have only one reply ..mine makes 2......shows how important and useful facebook is.

Congratulations guys

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:55 pm 

Glückwünsche!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 pm 

Nice work. Congratulations!

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 pm 

I understand how it feels to spend years working on a long dead machine and then experience that feeling of victory when it comes back to life. The Maybach runs so well, idles smooth, accelerates great, that it's hard to believe it slept for over 50 years.
Congratulations Team, you've done a great job!
Alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:03 am 

HOORAY!! This is an incredibly wonderful achievement for Howard Wise and everyone in his crew!! Huge congratulations to all of them! She is the only survivor of SP's first order of high-horsepower diesels. She sure sounds GOOD in the video!!

It is truly awesome what people can do when they work together for a common goal.

Never say, "Never"!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:48 am 

Wow, bravo! Simply awesome! I agree, this is a tremendous achievement, you guys should definitely be proud of!

I sure hope I have an opportunity to see this locomotive first hand some day!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 pm 

Congratulations to all of the PLA volunteers for accomplishing what was once thought to be impossible!

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:27 am 

Folks,
What you are seeing here is the lack of interest among American preservationist, in what is basically foreign railroad equipment. Although it was owned by the Southern Pacific Railroad.

I was impressed that they could bring trucks back from France or Germany.

ted66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:50 am 

ted66 wrote:
Folks,
What you are seeing here is the lack of interest among American preservationist, in what is basically foreign railroad equipment. Although it was owned by the Southern Pacific Railroad.

I was impressed that they could bring trucks back from France or Germany.

ted66

I would say its lack of interest based off of being a diesel in general. I've brought it up before in other threads, but the sad fact is most "preservationists" don't seem to care about diesels. They are too new, or unexciting. Why hear a burble from an engine, when you could hear the chug and see the puffs of a steamer?

1967 was 50 years ago folks, stuff such as diesels aren't as young as you wish to believe they are. Alcos have been out of production for 48 years, EMD 567 Diesels for 52, The first U25B is almost 60, etc.

Lets nevermind the fact that the 9010 is a 53 year old locomotive, and the only survivor of its kind. I'm glad to see the Niles Canyon Railway get her to where she is. Its come a long way from the hulk she was just 9 years ago. The restoration to me is just as important as say the restoration of UP 4014 or the likes. Possibly even more important given the 9010's place in history, and sole survivor status. If I ever can get across the country to California, this will be on the bucket list of things to see!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 am 

Quote:
What you are seeing here is the lack of interest among American preservationist,

I have been following this from the beginning and I think it's one of the most amazing restoration stories I have ever seen. The fact that it was a foreign piece of equipment makes it even more amazing. The PLA folks made a fantastic effort to locate the needed pieces from around the world and bring them back to be used in the restoration. That does not happen often (if at all!) I always wished but never thought I'd see the engine run. GREAT JOB! Now waiting on the video of 9010 moving under her own power!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:59 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Since apparently some people here aren't going to be satisfied until practically every last registered user of this forum chimes in with fawning adoration:

This restoration is, quite possibly, THE most ambitious technical rail restoration project ever undertaken, rivaled possibly only by the restoration of a formerly sunken/buried New Zealand steam locomotive to operation.

Now, if someone were only to find a second engine.......,. or maybe these guys will build one from scratch.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:57 am 

Thanks to all for your support for the project and kind comments. Starting the one remaining complete Maybach was a thrill for us all and having it run so smoothly was remarkable. We still have a long ways to go before it might move under its own power but, we are headed that direction.

Howard Wise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 pm 

cood101 wrote:
I would say its lack of interest based off of being a diesel in general. I've brought it up before in other threads, but the sad fact is most "preservationists" don't seem to care about diesels. They are too new, or unexciting. Why hear a burble from an engine, when you could hear the chug and see the puffs of a steamer?

This observation might have been true in the mid-1960s, but this is 2017. In case you have not noticed, there are plenty of preserved diesels out there: witness both "Streamliners" events (Spencer and Goldburn). Witness the fact that even F40s are now in museum collections, as are SD40s and SD45s. Witness the thread on this board about AT&SF 108 being restored for service at OERM. The list goes on.

Preservationists don't care about diesels? What are you smoking?