It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hartwell Railroad turntable
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:37 pm 

Hi,

It has been over 15 years since I was last up in Hartwell GA. The Hartwell Railroad had a short mainline (under 10 miles). The interchange with Southern Ry (originally Elberton Air Line) was a typical wye. Near the textile mill in Hartwell, there was a turntable.

IIRC, the turntable had most of the ties rotted out and some loblolly pine trees in the 10-12 year old pines growing in the pit. I was wondering if anyone knew if the turntable was still there.

At one time on of the locomotives from the Reader (a 2-6-2 maybe) was being restored to run there.

Thanks.

Doug vV

Post subject: Re: Hartwell Railroad turntable
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:06 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
http://railga.com/oddend/turntables.html

http://www.archwaypartnership.uga.edu/w ... 013red.pdf

http://www.921wlhr.com/hartwell-railroa ... alization/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 am 

Hi,

Thanks for the updates.

One article says about a rails to trail direction. I hope they do not intend or pulling up the rails.

Another article says "The street is lined with long abandoned buildings, train tracks and old freight cars, as well as an old silo pad where the engine could be turned around."

I'd never heard of a turntable pit being called a "silo pad."

The latest photos I saw there show that the turntable has had the crud (small trees and brush) has been removed since I last visited. Great Job.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 pm 

It wasn't successfully used to turn the lil prairie #11. The first test of the installed turn table resulted in a piece of equipment getting stuck on account of the pit-rail on one side sinking under the weight of what was rolled onto it. Legend is that it was the #11 but I'm not so sure about that. This is a tail from 1983.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:02 pm 

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.351475, ... 56!6m1!1e1 This is a July 2015 Google maps street view. Even back then it seem pretty clear that the NIMBY's had their hearts set upon a trail. As for the article claiming that there are old freight cars near the station site, that allegation is entirely false, the nearest rolling stock of any type being a couple of blocks away in the form of a caboose and a DL&W MU.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 am 

Hi,

"Near" is a word that has no quantifiable meaning.

The Moon is near the Earth when discussing the solar system. It is 238,855 miles away.
How far away is that? That’s 30 Earth diameters.

Wikipedia:
"
The diameter of the nucleus is in the range of 1.75 fm (1.75×10−15 m) for hydrogen (the diameter of a single proton)[7] to about 15 fm for the heaviest atoms, such as uranium. These dimensions are much smaller than the diameter of the atom itself (nucleus + electron cloud), by a factor of about 23,000 (uranium) to about 145,000 (hydrogen)
"

The term fm is a mutiplier of 1 divided by 1-million-billion.

So a hydrogen atom has its electrons relatively far from the nucleus.

Conclusion:

When using "near" you need to use the additional modifier "With Respect To" (WRT) or misunderstandings result.

I believe that "near" as defined by rails to trails is in the 1/4 mile distance or 10 city blocks whereas some may see "near" as being a few hundred feet - say 1-2 city blocks.

In my opinion, the rails to trails "near" is bogus and only used to sway politicians by sounding like they know what they are talking about and have done their research.

FWIW

Doug vV

Last edited by Dougvv on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:48 pm 

Quote:
Railroad St. is located behind historic Depot St. in the heart of downtown Hartwell.

The street is lined with long abandoned buildings, train tracks and old freight cars, as well as an old silo pad where the engine could be turned around.

Pulled directly from the article. I agree entirely with your interpretation as the use of "near." In this case, "near" is implying along Railroad Street, where no rolling stock, much less freight cars, can be found.