It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reflex Gauge Glass Drawing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:13 pm 

Does anyone out there have drawings for any kind of vintage (1960's and under) Reflex Water Gauge body and lid? The head of the steam department (and my boss) wants to manufacture two new Reflex Water Gauges out of bronze to replace tube glass gauges that are currently fitted to the current locomotive in the shop (see below).

He is an engineer by career who has worked with pressure vessels and will safely make any modifications necessary to accommodate for material differences.

The locomotive has been through three different versions of water gauges; Swedish (original), German, and now Danish, so yet another change is not really an issue. He wants to create something that looks similar to these:
https://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk ... auges.html
but without the associated cost of these units.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
unspecified.jpg
unspecified.jpg [ 319.99 KiB | Viewed 5613 times ]

Veterantoget.dk

Post subject: Re: Reflex Gauge Glass Drawing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:32 pm 

Ernst still sells them new and certified.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:45 pm 

Hey Dave,

Great lead and definitely a link im saving for the future, but unfortunately I didnt see any bronze body reflex gauges. My boss really wants to have a set either bought or made in bronze so it looks older and more in the idea that its not a modification. I know what you're thinking because I thought it too... Why bother spending the effort and time making it instead of buying a finished product with certification!? Unfortunately at the end of the day he says "jump" and I say "how high?".

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:26 pm 

I'll check my old Cyclopedias and see if I have something useful. Maybe just paint the Ernst gauge with bronze paint?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:16 pm 

I don't understand why anyone would go to the expense and effort to reinvent something and get it certified, that is still available new off-the-shelf.

If it was something that just could not be found or doesn't exist, it would make at least a little sense.

More than one locomotive person has done this on various parts, usually to his chagrin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:05 am 

Stewi, I have some simple line drawings without much detail or dimensions for a couple variations of reflex assemblies. I'm certain you would be better informed by measuring a remaining example on another preserved locomotive for duplication. Perhaps somebody with a better collection than mine can do more to help you out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:33 am 

Steamtown has a large collection of materials from Nathan. In fact, when I was exchanging emails with one of the staff a couple of years ago he said they even have some patterns. At that time I think they were still cataloging the collection and their resources for doing the cataloging were limited. They provided me with several items from the collection on injectors and other accessories, but all were parts diagram for ordering replacement parts and instruction manuals, not shop drawings that could be used for machining an item. I suspect they may also have shop drawings but that they hadn't yet been cataloged.

I have an Excel list of the paper holdings of their Nathan drawings which includes about 2600 items, but it's at least a couple of years old. It includes a number of drawings that include "reflex" in the description and appear to be gauges or gauge parts. Send me your email via PM and I'll send you a copy.