It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Many PRR N6 Are Preserved
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 pm 

This list http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/Fan/cabin_cars.html seems to show five, but it lists two, possibly the same, at Gettysburg or Knox & Kane. That seems like an old list to me.

There's one at Whippany Railway Museum: http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/exhibits/equipment/cabooses/penn-n6b-cabin-car

This list http://www.prrh.org/equipment/PRR_cabooses.html shows eight. It lists one that was in Pemberton, which has long been just the underframe and trucks, now in Ringoes at the BR&W. I think they use it as a stage in the picnic area.

Unfortunately neither list has a currency date.

The one in Terre Haute looks beautiful as reported on RYPN: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35605

Are there just two left?

-Mark

Post subject: Re: How Many PRR N6 Are Preserved
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 pm 

Well, if we assume the one at Haley tower is still around, I can think of a total of four off the top of my head. PRR 980894 is at Williams Grove, PRR 981741 at Haley tower, PRR 980016 in Harrisburg, and of course that abomination found in New Jersey on Ebay. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40464

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:51 pm 

N-5s for the list and modified members of the class.
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcabooseroster.htm

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 pm 

I have added a lengthy comment to the item on the N6b on ebay (see Classifieds). The comment is relevant to the discussion of N6b preservation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:12 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I've still not been able to come up with any identification whatsoever for the New Jersey eBay wreck.

But in addition to the three mentioned so far, I've got records of:

PRR 980720 in Merritt, Michigan, owned/formerly owned by a member of this august forum who also owned other cabooses, save for a certain quirk I'm not going to discuss here.......

The one Gettysburg/Knox & Kane car was IDed as PRR 980854. I'm not sure where (or whether) it is now. Supposedly Gettysburg had a second one with an offset cupola. Did one burn along with the K&K enginehouse?

981505 was reported as being along McCormick Road along Yellow Breeches Creek in/near Grantham, Pa. I don't have time tonight to send the Google Earth Pro aerial drone looking for it.

Haley Tower's 981741 and Williams Grove's 980894--check.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 am 

There's one up in Warren, NJ apparently and fairly intact. Based on the above comments, I come up with about 10 or so that are around in one shape or another. That's out of 1200 or so that were built. Of this ten or so, a hand full might be in decent condition, the rest in rough condition or missing the body totally.

We picked the coldest day of the year to look at the darn thing today. It may be a quick visit.

The bigger question might be, is it worth trying to save? Its a fairly complete “kit” of sorts, just add wood. There’s enough there to take measurements from and the castings used at the key body joints would make reassembly that much easier. It looks to have been designed to be easy and quick to build in a production sort of way. This assumes also that the steel frame is useable as well.

With the body removed on site, moving the rolling chassis should be straight forward, assuming the caboose sits someplace on the property that makes this possible. We will find out today how hard it may be to move it.

But, then where does one move it to? So far I have not heard anyone really step forward in that regard.

A lot of assumptions here, some of which will be sorted out today. Hopefully a number is still visible on the frame.

J.R.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:22 pm 

Craigslist listing - is this an N6?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/atq/6020281907.html
looks to be in Mt Holly, NJ

looks to need a fair amount of work, may have come from the old train display in the area that was booted out of the park.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:57 pm 

This is the same one as shown in the RyPN classifieds that I posted. A group of us looked at it today. Its been behind a house for at least 30 years or so.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:17 pm 

While not an expert on PRR cabooses, I am aware of at least two in private ownership in Pennsylvania that appear to be class N6b. One that I last saw five years ago was under cover and receiving considerable TLC from its owner. The second I was shown a picture of two years ago when it was reportedly for sale; it was in fair (probably restorable) condition and appeared to be someone's backyard cabin, guest house or play house. Both were center-cupola style.

At one time Sloan Cornell had several of these; he employed at least two on his Penn View Mountain Railroad and recycled trucks and frames from a couple more for use under other cars.

Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

PRR 980720 in Merritt, Michigan, owned/formerly owned by a member of this august forum who also owned other cabooses, save for a certain quirk I'm not going to discuss here.......

I mentioned in the CLASSIFIEDS entry for the PRR N6 caboose, that many, many years ago I had seen an N6 behind a supermarket in Kalamazoo, Michigan, later gone. Merritt is a ways from Kalamazoo but not an impossibility. I'm going to think that the caboose there in Merritt is the caboose from Kalamazoo. At least until proved wrong. Thanks for the info.

Les