It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for repro EMD Early 50's builders plate in vinyl.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:13 am 

Closing in on the final stages of a locomotive rebuild and I would like to either find a vinyl Reproduction plate or the JPEG file of one we could have numbered correctly and printed. From a distance a vinyl plate looks authentic, but when targeted for theft aren't worth the effort. The locomotive is a GP9 built in 1954. If it looks good enough and cheap enough it would be nice to do to the whole fleet in time. Even a good digital picture would work that we can edit.

Thanks,

Andrew Hershman

Post subject: Re: Looking for repro EMD Early 50's builders plate in vinyl
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:23 pm 

Andrew -

I don't know if you're going to find what you are looking for, but I wonder if this isn't something that other museums might also be interested in? Perhaps if enough expressed an interest to put on plates that are missing from their EMD diesels, maybe someone might be willing to run some of these. BTW, I'm assuming you are looking for the "oval" or "hot dog" style plate, rather than the rectangular ones.

Is there any other interest out there?

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

We could use a pair for UP 844 (the yellow one)... the originals are held in a known collection and have been offered at a cost which we would not consider...

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:05 pm 

Andrew,

I think this is what you are looking for, in vinyl.

Pro-Sign & Screen Printing
Sign shop in Omaha, Nebraska
Address: 8704 Washington Cir, Ralston, NE 68127
Phone: (402) 592-1473

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:48 pm 

Scott,

Yes, I believe that is the correct plate for the vintage of that locomotive. Our GM ran a sign business for a while on the side and can print vinyl if we get a good file to edit our info onto. Any idea what the length of these were? I can get a close idea by the screw holes left on the frame, but that is it. I suppose that would be plenty close anyway... It's not necessary by any means to put them back on, but we took a considerable amount of effort and pride bringing this unit back from the parts bin of history. Kind of nice to send it out complete again.

Since this locomotive is going back into daily service with the rest it will be parked any number of locations where someone could steal anything not secured. I don't suppose anyone had an attempted theft of a vinyl decal?

Andrew Hershmab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 pm 

I read on a site that sells these things Andy, that the dimensions are 4-1/8" x 15". I'm assuming that they had them right, as they had an awful lot of EMD plates for sale.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:04 pm 

Andrew,
There are sign makers out there that can custom cut and print on 1/8" thick aluminum. One I found online is http://www.thesignchef.com/custom-signs/aluminum-signs. I've never used them and I don't know how long the printing lasts - I've only checked out their offerings. You might be able to get by for a minimum of $150 + S&H for both if all you need is quick & dirty.

Alternatively, if you know anyone with access to a CNC router or water jet, you can get blanks made out of aluminum and stick vinyl decals to that. Instead of printing on silver vinyl, you can print on clear vinyl and let the aluminum show through. Keep in mind that the vinyl will last maybe seven years or so out in the sun even with a UV laminate. Then heat it with a hair dryer, peel the old one off and stick on a new one.

If you get stuck for artwork, PM me and we could possibly work something out. I'd need the dimensions between the bolt hole centers and I could take it from there. I can measure the ones on our GP7 (if they're still there) though measuring might take me a while as we're shut down for the winter. I've done artwork for vinyl lettering, heralds, paint masks and signage, etc.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:12 pm 

AFH, which EMD unit are you referring to? Original railroad owner and current owner/location, please. A pic would be most welcome also.

Thanks,

Howard P.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 pm 

Thanks Les and Eric, wasn't aware of that site and we will check into it for sure especially if our GM isn't interested in reproducing them. The dimensions are appreciated as well.

... I was wondering if someone was curious about the unit itself haha! It was one of three dead parts engines belonging to the Indiana Northeastern and currently sits in the barn until warmer weather lets us shoot paint. It was built in 54' for the Cleveland Union Terminal numbered 5903. One of 4 equipped with Vapor steam heat and torpedo tube air tanks. NYC 5903/PC 5903/ CR 7303 then sold to Hillsdale County and renumbered as 1603. It ran until 2001 I believe when it suffered a thrown rod on the #9 cylinder and did considerable damage to the block. At the time the prices for motive power was cheaper and the IN didn't have the facilities we do today to do the necessary prime mover repair so it became the parts source for the other first gen. EMDs. I was offered a job in September of 2014, left a good job on the CFER with the interest of rebuilding a dead loco and helping out the only other regularly staffed mechanical employee. We began in April of 2015 and stripped it to a frame and electrical cabinet. Maintaining 7 other locos in the meantime, the 03 was our lull time project. With heavier trains we needed a little more power and the used locomotive market is high. We have also added 2 Alston rebuild SD-40-2s as well last year. I am gracious we were allowed to take as much pride and time with the project as we needed to do the job right. I can go into more detail on the rebuild, but maybe I should start another thread... I need to shrink the photo size down so it will upload.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm 

Howard P. wrote:
AFH, which EMD unit are you referring to? Original railroad owner and current owner/location, please. A pic would be most welcome also.

Thanks,

Howard P.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1004547
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1476922
http://www.railroadmichigan.com/ine1603d.jpg

Haven't been able to find any from when it was a CUT unit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 pm 

Oh, very cool!! The CUT unit! A builder's photo of the CUT Geep is in the NYC Diesels book; when I get back to home base in a few days, I'll scan and post it.

Please start a thread about the loco and your restoration work on it.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 pm 

I would love to see another photo of it in the CUT colors. I have a copy of it in Dayton in action, but when I try to upload anything it comes up as an invalid attachment. I have a slide of it in Cleveland in 1965 as a NYC unit. Plenty of rebuild shots as well. Once I get this upload thing resolved I will start a thread maybe early next week. We asked permission for a heritage scheme, but were told it needed to be back in the IN colors with the number change back to 5903 as the compromise. No problem with that here. Would be neat though...

Andrew Hershman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 pm 

Did CUT units have any sort of sublettering, or were they painted the same as NYC units when delivered? Peoria & Eastern (NYC) GP9s had their own lettering for example.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:46 pm 

Here is the website with the photo, it is number 38:

http://www.railphoto-art.org/collection ... group-one/

They were delivered in CLEVELAND UNION TERMINAL across the top of the long hood. It is still visible through the paint today.

Andrew Hershman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 am 

afh7911 wrote:
Here is the website with the photo, it is number 38:

http://www.railphoto-art.org/collection ... group-one/

They were delivered in CLEVELAND UNION TERMINAL across the top of the long hood. It is still visible through the paint today.

Andrew Hershman

Yep there it is, thanks for that. You can actually see it coming though the Conrail/ PC patch paint job in the link I posted too. I wonder if your unit is the only CUT unit left.