It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Diesel Locomotive Repainted, May Be Preserved
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
wilkinsd wrote:
You should read above, this was news in Trains in JANUARY and the offending threads here were deleted in the last week or so, in MARCH.

As someone who would have instantly detoured this locally-relevant news to his NRHS Chapter's newsletter editor, I can say that not only do I not remember seeing it then, but I can't find it in a search of the website's news archives, which has pulled up stories from over a decade ago....
You sure 'bout dat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm 

If the story was that sensitive, why not ask Trains to kindly remove that initial report? Similar information was supplied to me around the same time, but I was not able to get confirmation from LSRM, so I deferred on running the story in R&R.

Either way, I'd like to know more about why this railroad did a cool thing, as I never thought we would see a Chessie restoration by CSX in the year 2017! It's a pretty awesome thing, and I can't wait to travel to LSRM this summer to see it.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:33 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
wilkinsd wrote:
You should read above, this was news in Trains in JANUARY and the offending threads here were deleted in the last week or so, in MARCH.

As someone who would have instantly detoured this locally-relevant news to his NRHS Chapter's newsletter editor, I can say that not only do I not remember seeing it then, but I can't find it in a search of the website's news archives, which has pulled up stories from over a decade ago....
You sure 'bout dat?

I mis-spoke. The January story was about the C&O SD40 being restored by CSX for Clifton Forge.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Otto Vondrak wrote:
Either way, I'd like to know more about why this railroad did a cool thing

DON'T ASK "WHY."

If you are the Lake Shore Museum, just smile broadly, say "THANK YOU!!!!!", shake their hands, pose for the pictures of them donating it, accept the donation gratefully, take reasonably good care of it, and say "THANK YOU!!!!" again. And send out press releases and newsletters promoting their good deed. Maybe hand them an honorary membership, to boot.

Did I mention you should thank them? Just making sure.

To everybody else:
Your/our job is not to badger railroads and corporations and people into donating stuff. Your/our job is to make our operations worthy of deserving such donations, to the best of our abilities and resources. Lake Shore has done so, several times over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:22 pm 

As another author of one of the deleted posts about this (very touchy) subject, I asked for it to be taken down personally due to the majority opinion within it being that:

1. It was wrong for the Employee to leak the information in the way that they did
2. It was wrong of the community to go with the information without any official word from either CSXT or LSRM.

I, of course, still hold that being "hush-hush" on stuff isn't the best thing, but to many, it isn't the worst either. I think some middle ground needs to be found regarding touchy topics such as this, as I have a feeling some people on both sides of the argument may get a bit more toxic if things don't go right when/if an opportunity presents itself in the future.

I would like to end by saying at no time did I feel pressured by the moderators of this forum to retract/delete any statements I have made. Its not their problem to be held accountable for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:21 am 

PICTURE TAKEN ON RAILROAD PROPERTY!!!

I have a question.

As an amateur in everything regarding trains and railroads, I am wondering if there ever was a picture taken of a train or locomotive where the subject was not on railroad property?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:15 am 

Of course.

The short list of locations from which I have shot publication-quality photos includes: from a hillside across the highway, from the side of a roadway, from a parking garage, from a rooftop, from the top of my car parked along the highway, from a fire escape, up a tree, up a telephone pole, waist-deep in a creek/river.........

need I go on? >;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 am 

wm303 wrote:
PICTURE TAKEN ON RAILROAD PROPERTY!!!

I have a question.

As an amateur in everything regarding trains and railroads, I am wondering if there ever was a picture taken of a train or locomotive where the subject was not on railroad property?

The intent of the above statement was to point out trespassing to take the picture. MOST photos of railroad equipment are taken with the equipment on private property, but the photographer in a publicly accessible location. Basically, if I can see it from public access, it's fair game... this policy even worked with the nefarious North Western Steel & Wire.

But when someone goes into the railroad shop and takes a photo without permission, that has the potential for not making friends. The railroad, or recipient group, may have wanted to make a big publicity splash at the acceptance ceremony. Or, conversely, certain people in the management hierarchy may have wanted the work done quietly, and the donation to simply disappear off the books. Either way, attempts to "scoop" the PR people tend to leave a bad taste.

RyPM is NOTa magazine. It does not do investigative reporting... and people should bear in mind that investigative reporting is by its very nature adversarial. I don't think it does us, as preservationists, one bit of good to foster adversarial relationships with the railroads.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 am 

The sad news has reached me, through other channels, that apparently there WERE serious ramifications for the unauthorized posting of photos in several venues. The photos shared were reportedly in direct violation of written, posted policy regarding employee conduct and property access. You can guess the rest.

Now, are we, who reposted the "open secret" and/or shared the photos, responsible? Only to a small degree. Ultimately, this comes down to the power of Facebook/"social media"/the internet to spread the impact of serious mistakes, and potentially damage reputations or agreements.

It's my prediction that it's unlikely that this specific donation will be refused at this late stage in the game, but also that it is now increasingly unlikely that future potential donations or even what little token cooperation there was (repainting, reduced/donated shipping, access for inspection, etc.) will be forthcoming from CSX--especially from the local level of shops, yardmasters, etc. I actually predict more of a "scorched earth" policy with regards to old buildings, rolling stock, and more, unless someone on top develops an approach that encourages friendliness, a la Stanley Crane, the Claytors, Moorman, etc. But that's not what the "new sheriff in town" rode in for. And that will be most unfortunate for places like the B&O Railroad Museum, which used to have a good working relationship with the railroad that remains the descendant of its reason for existence.

And the sadder part yet is that apparently a steep price is being paid by people who were apparently simply (and justifiably) proud of their workplace, their employer, their handiwork, and their company's heritage and good deeds. If there's a more devastating way to destroy employee morale, I don't want to think about it.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am 

And the sadder part yet is that apparently a steep price is being paid by people who were apparently simply (and justifiably) proud of their workplace, their employer, their handiwork, and their company's heritage and good deeds. If there's a more devastating way to destroy employee morale, I don't want to think about it.

This is the real tragedy of the entire episode. These guys were proud of their work and wanted to share it with the world.

I have learned, starting my 20th year with a Class 1 railroad this week, that you have to be very, very careful what you share. My employer just completed an outstanding rebuild of a classic locomotive, something they are very proud of. Still, I asked for permission before sending a photo to a national publication.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 pm 

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Either way, I'd like to know more about why this railroad did a cool thing

DON'T ASK "WHY."

If you are the Lake Shore Museum, just smile broadly, say "THANK YOU!!!!!", shake their hands, pose for the pictures of them donating it, accept the donation gratefully, take reasonably good care of it, and say "THANK YOU!!!!" again. And send out press releases and newsletters promoting their good deed. Maybe hand them an honorary membership, to boot.

Did I mention you should thank them? Just making sure.

To everybody else:
Your/our job is not to badger railroads and corporations and people into donating stuff. Your/our job is to make our operations worthy of deserving such donations, to the best of our abilities and resources. Lake Shore has done so, several times over.

You may have misunderstood what I was saying. My questions of "why?" are journalistic in nature. The folks who put the hard work in deserve to be recognized. Great projects like this don't just happen magically. Lots of hard work on display here, from many parties.

-otto-

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:13 am 

Perhaps the greatest company benefit for a project such as this, is the pride that it could instill in a few of its workers that are involved and get excited about something past the scope of their normal everyday tasks.

So it's a real shame if someone higher up has frowned upon the pictures that got out, since it surely wasn't done to wreck some previously laid plan that had to be carried out with military style secrecy.

Like Alexander D. Mitchell IV said, it happened since the project had its desired effect, and a proud employee that may have not even known about it being the CSX version of a black project, just wanted to show it off.

I hope if feathers indeed were ruffled, that they realize the error in their thinking after they've cooled a bit (Although with the new regime coming in, I doubt historic equipment donations would be something we'll see much more of for a long time anyways).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 am 

So is this thing operational or able to be made operational at a later date?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 am 

I say we don't talk about it until it's on a siding at North East. Gift (iron) horse, looking in mouth, and all that.

But that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:46 am 

Deleted Comment! ....

Last edited by YeOldeEnjine on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.