It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm 

Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 am
Posts: 72
I am seeking an article or anyone who happens to have knowledge of the construction of NCRY 17 YORK , this is for my own personal collection and use! I once resided in CANANDAUGUA, NY and was given the book. I was long aware of the Original NORTHERN CENTRAL Railway due to my Grandfather's Grandfather .

Thank You,
Mr. Starr


Attachments:
NORTHERN CENTRAL RR No.17 copy.png
NORTHERN CENTRAL RR No.17 copy.png [ 333.3 KiB | Viewed 2545 times ]
NC Ry Book.jpg
NC Ry Book.jpg [ 128.51 KiB | Viewed 2581 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 3032
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
She's the newest steam locomotive in America, delivered from the Kloke Locomotive Works in 2013.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35418

While there is still plenty of material available on Kloke Locomotive Works and the projects that have come from it, all the links you used to be able to see about the Kloke company itself seem to have disappeared. I hope the firm is still holding on somehow.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 3032
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34553&p=190924


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:17 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am
Posts: 220
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
If this locomotive is based on the locomotives at Promontory, Utah, as was stated in a prior threads, a mostly complete set of drawings for is available on the Internet. They were commissioned by the National Park Service and are in the public domain. Find them at http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... ocomotives.

I wouldn't describe these locomotives as replicas. They apparently used a new design and modern (30 years ago) fabrication techniques. Many parts that would have been cast or forged in the prototype are fabrications. The design is probably more closely related to very large live steam locomotive than to a historic replica.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:58 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 329
J3a-614 wrote:
She's the newest steam locomotive in America, delivered from the Kloke Locomotive Works in 2013.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35418

While there is still plenty of material available on Kloke Locomotive Works and the projects that have come from it, all the links you used to be able to see about the Kloke company itself seem to have disappeared. I hope the firm is still holding on somehow.


"Involuntary dissolution", which I think means no. https://www.bizapedia.com/il/kloke-loco ... s-llc.html


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:56 am 

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 96
PMC wrote:
J3a-614 wrote:
She's the newest steam locomotive in America, delivered from the Kloke Locomotive Works in 2013.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35418

While there is still plenty of material available on Kloke Locomotive Works and the projects that have come from it, all the links you used to be able to see about the Kloke company itself seem to have disappeared. I hope the firm is still holding on somehow.


"Involuntary dissolution", which I think means no. https://www.bizapedia.com/il/kloke-loco ... s-llc.html

I did a search for them on Facebook and found a few photos of Kloke employees working on a steam traction engine boiler dated as May 2016 but that was the most recent thing I could find besides a photo from 2015 of the VT Lyon boiler. Makes me wonder what happened to the Leviathan. I haven't been able to find any pictures of it newer than late 2015 anywhere.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:58 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2076
http://www.thosetrainpeople.com/

The Lincoln funeral train car is up in minnesota, where the Leviathon went from there my best guess into storage, I would have to assume it would be winterized for now, but what Kloke is up to now dunno but I don't think he would be dissappearing for too long.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3286344952

but maybe someone can shoot him an email...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:46 pm
Posts: 537
Location: St. Louis, MO
The Lincoln Funeral Car was in the Duluth railroad museum last fall when I was there, on exhibit and open to the public to walk through. If it is still in Duluth I expect it is still there.

_________________
Ron Goldfeder
St. Louis


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 pm 

Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Vancouver Island
Dick_Morris wrote:
If this locomotive is based on the locomotives at Promontory, Utah, as was stated in a prior threads, a mostly complete set of drawings for is available on the Internet. They were commissioned by the National Park Service and are in the public domain. Find them at http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... ocomotives.

I wouldn't describe these locomotives as replicas. They apparently used a new design and modern (30 years ago) fabrication techniques. Many parts that would have been cast or forged in the prototype are fabrications. The design is probably more closely related to very large live steam locomotive than to a historic replica.


Thank you Mr Morris for providing that link, it's fascinating stuff. Unfortunately the files do not seem to include the boiler drawings which is what I was interested in seeing. The drawings did show the engines equipped with Laidlaw - Drew style oil burners (centrally located swirl type burners), anyone know if the engines are still so equipped?
Pat Hosford


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:06 am 

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:05 am
Posts: 399
E&N6004 wrote:
Unfortunately the files do not seem to include the boiler drawings which is what I was interested in seeing.

O'Connor contracted the NPS locomotive boiler construction to Mr. Dixon at Dixon Boiler Works.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 am 

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 pm
Posts: 710
E&N6004 wrote:
Thank you Mr Morris for providing that link, it's fascinating stuff. Unfortunately the files do not seem to include the boiler drawings which is what I was interested in seeing. The drawings did show the engines equipped with Laidlaw - Drew style oil burners (centrally located swirl type burners), anyone know if the engines are still so equipped?
Pat Hosford


Both engines were converted years ago; one burns wood and the other burns coal.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:00 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:51 pm
Posts: 1483
Location: Southern California
Lincoln Penn wrote:
Both engines were converted years ago; one burns wood and the other burns coal.
Just like the original UP #119 (coal) and the original CP #60 "Jupiter" (wood).

_________________
Brian Norden


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 pm
Posts: 130
Both Kloke locomotives have new 2" Von Boden oil burners. They are a thing of beauty.

CCdW


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:09 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am
Posts: 220
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
I would think the documentation on the boiler was provided to the NPS and would have been retained by them as these are operating steam locomotives. Since NPS is "us," the drawings may be available through a records request.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 am 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:02 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Back in NE Ohio
My understanding from a recent conversation is that Leviathan is available for purchase, along with all of it's support equipment - tractor trailers, etc.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], kevin kohls, Yahoo [Bot] and 55 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: