It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm 

I am seeking an article or anyone who happens to have knowledge of the construction of NCRY 17 YORK , this is for my own personal collection and use! I once resided in CANANDAUGUA, NY and was given the book. I was long aware of the Original NORTHERN CENTRAL Railway due to my Grandfather's Grandfather .

Thank You,
Mr. Starr

Attachments:
NORTHERN CENTRAL RR No.17 copy.png
NORTHERN CENTRAL RR No.17 copy.png [ 333.3 KiB | Viewed 10150 times ]
NC Ry Book.jpg
NC Ry Book.jpg [ 128.51 KiB | Viewed 10186 times ]

Post subject: Re: NC Ry 4-4-0 No. 17 -YORK information needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm 

She's the newest steam locomotive in America, delivered from the Kloke Locomotive Works in 2013.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35418

While there is still plenty of material available on Kloke Locomotive Works and the projects that have come from it, all the links you used to be able to see about the Kloke company itself seem to have disappeared. I hope the firm is still holding on somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34553&p=190924

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:17 pm 

If this locomotive is based on the locomotives at Promontory, Utah, as was stated in a prior threads, a mostly complete set of drawings for is available on the Internet. They were commissioned by the National Park Service and are in the public domain. Find them at http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... ocomotives.

I wouldn't describe these locomotives as replicas. They apparently used a new design and modern (30 years ago) fabrication techniques. Many parts that would have been cast or forged in the prototype are fabrications. The design is probably more closely related to very large live steam locomotive than to a historic replica.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:58 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
She's the newest steam locomotive in America, delivered from the Kloke Locomotive Works in 2013.

While there is still plenty of material available on Kloke Locomotive Works and the projects that have come from it, all the links you used to be able to see about the Kloke company itself seem to have disappeared. I hope the firm is still holding on somehow.

"Involuntary dissolution", which I think means no. https://www.bizapedia.com/il/kloke-loco ... s-llc.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:56 am 

PMC wrote:
J3a-614 wrote:

"Involuntary dissolution", which I think means no. https://www.bizapedia.com/il/kloke-loco ... s-llc.html

I did a search for them on Facebook and found a few photos of Kloke employees working on a steam traction engine boiler dated as May 2016 but that was the most recent thing I could find besides a photo from 2015 of the VT Lyon boiler. Makes me wonder what happened to the Leviathan. I haven't been able to find any pictures of it newer than late 2015 anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:58 am 

http://www.thosetrainpeople.com/

The Lincoln funeral train car is up in minnesota, where the Leviathon went from there my best guess into storage, I would have to assume it would be winterized for now, but what Kloke is up to now dunno but I don't think he would be dissappearing for too long.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3286344952

but maybe someone can shoot him an email...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 am 

The Lincoln Funeral Car was in the Duluth railroad museum last fall when I was there, on exhibit and open to the public to walk through. If it is still in Duluth I expect it is still there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 pm 

Dick_Morris wrote:
If this locomotive is based on the locomotives at Promontory, Utah, as was stated in a prior threads, a mostly complete set of drawings for is available on the Internet. They were commissioned by the National Park Service and are in the public domain. Find them at http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... ocomotives.

I wouldn't describe these locomotives as replicas. They apparently used a new design and modern (30 years ago) fabrication techniques. Many parts that would have been cast or forged in the prototype are fabrications. The design is probably more closely related to very large live steam locomotive than to a historic replica.

Thank you Mr Morris for providing that link, it's fascinating stuff. Unfortunately the files do not seem to include the boiler drawings which is what I was interested in seeing. The drawings did show the engines equipped with Laidlaw - Drew style oil burners (centrally located swirl type burners), anyone know if the engines are still so equipped?
Pat Hosford

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:06 am 

E&N6004 wrote:
Unfortunately the files do not seem to include the boiler drawings which is what I was interested in seeing.

O'Connor contracted the NPS locomotive boiler construction to Mr. Dixon at Dixon Boiler Works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 am 

E&N6004 wrote:
Thank you Mr Morris for providing that link, it's fascinating stuff. Unfortunately the files do not seem to include the boiler drawings which is what I was interested in seeing. The drawings did show the engines equipped with Laidlaw - Drew style oil burners (centrally located swirl type burners), anyone know if the engines are still so equipped?
Pat Hosford

Both engines were converted years ago; one burns wood and the other burns coal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:00 am 

Lincoln Penn wrote:
Both engines were converted years ago; one burns wood and the other burns coal.
Just like the original UP #119 (coal) and the original CP #60 "Jupiter" (wood).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 am 

Both Kloke locomotives have new 2" Von Boden oil burners. They are a thing of beauty.

CCdW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:09 pm 

I would think the documentation on the boiler was provided to the NPS and would have been retained by them as these are operating steam locomotives. Since NPS is "us," the drawings may be available through a records request.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 am 

My understanding from a recent conversation is that Leviathan is available for purchase, along with all of it's support equipment - tractor trailers, etc.