It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caboose Kit Project 981775
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:10 pm 

We've had our second and third work days this past weekend. Working on Saturday was JR May, John Shaw, Karl Smith, and Mark Trebing. Sunday was Ed Rizzo and Mark Trebing. Christian Bently is an important part of the project, but he couldn't make it this weekend.

Two weeks ago, I did not expect to be working on a caboose kit project, but with everybody volunteering it has become possible.
Attachment:
File comment: Karl Smith at the Cupola
Karl Smith at the Cupola 33.jpg
Karl Smith at the Cupola 33.jpg [ 157.3 KiB | Viewed 12038 times ]

We're down to about 1/3 of a side and one end left to demolish. We're going to try to save the whole end for a rebuilding reference. The near wall section in the picture and the cupola have been completely disassembled. We've saved the doors and windows. All the removable iron work is safely stored. We're taking lots of pictures.

We've saved wood for reference and patterns. Unfortunately very little wood is salvageable for reuse. You look at what looks like a good piece of wood, and then notice that the other end is rotted away, and/or split. Some of the wood looks good on the outside, but it's been hollowed out. Most of the wood could be torn out just using leather gloves. The bugs must have been holding hands. Birds had a field day in the dumpster, eating the bugs.

Hopefully we'll have the under carriage ready to move after one more work day.

The car has been accepted for donation by a 501(c)3 with an operating railroad. They accepted it with the understanding that we will continue to restore the caboose. It will be up to us to fund raise for transport and new materials. I will let them announce their new acquisition when they are ready, probably after it arrives.

I want to thank everyone for coming out and helping. I'm grateful to the owner, Bob, who has allowed us to use the bathroom, power, and the dumpster. I feel Bob has been extraordinarily generous in providing facilities, being patient and donating the caboose.

-Mark

Post subject: Re: Caboose Kit Project 981775
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 pm 

Can you give us more history please, and why you couldnt get a better donor ?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:10 pm 

Look in the classified section at the PRR caboose. Much more photos and info.

car57 wrote:

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 pm 

Here is the link to the original Classifieds posting regarding this car that was moved to the Interchange. Unfortunately, it appears the original thread was split when it was moved. If the mods can merge these three threads into one it would clean up the narrative. This is a great preservation story.

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40540&sid=e138ebb1f2a5e1a0ee779446adfb2cf7

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40541&sid=e138ebb1f2a5e1a0ee779446adfb2cf7

Last edited by Scranton Yard on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:05 pm 

car57 wrote:

What did you mean by a "better donor"?

The man donating the car bought the house at a sheriffs sale. He's a builder who refurbishes homes and resells them. We didn't pick him. He has graciously cooperated with us to save the caboose.

We didn't exactly pick the caboose either. The caboose is located 10 minutes from my house. In the twenty years I've lived here, I never knew that there was a caboose in that neighborhood. After JR and I saw it, our friends volunteered to help save it. The project just came together.

We have a lead to follow up for pictures of the caboose being delivered. We've spoken with a neighbor who remembers going into the caboose as a child about 35 years ago. He said it was very nice then.

-Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 am 

What I found interesting with this cabin car was that it was what I like to call a time capsule. It was essentially untouched since the day it was moved in there, perhaps 30+ years ago. It was last serviced by the PRR Hawthorne shops in 1965 and looks to have been untouched since then. By the looks of it, it was never painted, the interior really never touched, the closets and such never cleaned out. Its possible the owner started a residing effort on the side closest to the house, but this was never completed. It is about as complete as any item of its kind can be, except of course for any solid wood. We did save all the iron bocks that hold the N6b together, all the detail parts from the interior, all the details from the exterior to include windows, doors, hinges, locks, you name it. It truly is a kit. Plus Ed Rizzo just happens to have a full bill of materials for the lumber that is needed to rebuild the body. Its that time capsule element that attracted me to the effort.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 am 

Great that you guys were able to take this one.

And a shame the former owner, while well intentioned, did not have a plan for the car after he / she could no longer take care of it. Kind of one of the scary parts of having a caboose or some other large lawn ornament that costs big money to move.

I have a older friend that owns a home near me, with a caboose in the back yard. Their kids are totally disinterested in trains and don't live in the area. I have told my friend numerous times, when they decide to sell, I am hoping to be in a position to buy the home and caboose. Otherwise I can see it getting scrapped too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:35 pm 

I meant couldnt you find a better example, not knowing what caboose it is or road name or any history i was wondering how rare it is. I just found another 3 UP cabooses on a site in Colorado and the oldest yet discovered dating from 1880 to 1901. Just interested thats all.

Mike

Attachments:
UP caboose 1.jpg
UP caboose 1.jpg [ 98.16 KiB | Viewed 11175 times ]
UP caboose 3.jpg
UP caboose 3.jpg [ 128.55 KiB | Viewed 11175 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 am 

Mike:
Of the 1200 or so N6b cabin cars built, it sounds like perhaps 3 or so are in fully restored condition or close to it. At least two additional N6b cab’s exist as stripped to bare frames examples, both being here in NJ at the moment. There’s a couple of others kicking around.

As Mark said, since this one was close to home and in need of a some folks who care, it was just something that happened. If all goes according to plan, there is a home for it, it will be moved shortly, and the parts/data has been assembled to rebuild it to a proper operable N6b.

In truth, I am not aware of any other N6b’s that are actually in active operable use. Perhaps someone can correct me on that.

J.R.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:45 am 

I believe this guy counts....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3476041

While visiting family in the area a few years ago, we went and rode. The Caboose was an extra charge and only poked my head in there; it appeared nicely restored and decked out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 am 

Mark: If you have the people and materials to restore the caboose, more power to you. Sometimes, preservation is where you find it, and you replace what is shot, repair what you can. If you do it well, you've done something worthwhile. If you go down in flames, at least you made the effort and didn't let it rot any further. You stepped up to the challenge, and that's most important.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:06 pm 

Some information we've gathered in our work.

The caboose has been in the neighborhood since AT LEAST 1971, as confirmed by a neighbor. The markings suggest it last saw service the the mid-60's, possibly never reaching PC Era operations.

It was last used as a MoW cabin, as evident by some remaining siding I'm yellow paint.

The caboose is 100% PRR original, with the exception of a missing stove. The bunker still has coal in it.

It has a standard AB brake system, still in good condition.

The metal parts have been placed in a safe, barb wired fence sureounded, monitored property.

-

We are pleased that the railway in question welcomed the cabin to their operation and hope to build a strong working relationship with them as time goes on. We are funding the move ourselves and providing as much work as possible in the next year so we can hopefully have it operating soon. Unfortunately, we are a small group of men who lead average working lives. Stripping the caboose to the frame and essentially building it back up elsewhere cuts down on shipping costs and permits, and removes the danger of low passes on the roads. I can think of one group who had such a disaster moving a PRR caboose to their operation where the truck hit a bridge and essentially destroyed the caboose and nearly killed the motorist following. This hazard is removed...

We have a dedicated group of people working on this cabin. We've all saved multiple pieces of equipment in our lives and can do it again.

As to the comment about why we couldn't find a better example... this cabin had a home, was accessible, and has a group willing to help. The only other example of such a project in our immediate area that could have used help was scrapped as it couldn't find a home and was impossible to remove. Preservation isn't always about choice, it's about doing and setting an example. If it needs saving and you can do it, so be it. The tools are there, the people are there, and the confidence is there. I can weld, JR can do wood work, Ed has the knowledge, and Mark has the will, and Karl has the tools. Between all of us, we can build a team to save this cabin. If all goes wrong, we have exchanged alternatives between hundreds of emails.

I was not a huge believer at first, but we now have a team of experienced preservationist who have worked together before to save other items. If anyone is interested in helping, information will be provided as the time comes. Until then, continue bashing your face into the keyboard.

- Christian B.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:54 am 

Cjbdiesel wrote:
If anyone is interested in helping, information will be provided as the time comes. Until then, continue bashing your face into the keyboard.

Is this passage intended to encourage or discourage other people from pitching in and helping out?

Being unfamiliar with PRR cabin cars, what make/manufacturer stove would be era correct? Anyone have a photo of an era-correct stove?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Remember that the PRR had the resources to do their own foundry work.

I have seen plenty of PRR caboose stoves with either PRR-style casting numbers, a keystone on the top plate, or both. Whether this is accurate for the earlier caboose class being discussed here, however, is another issue for the PRR geeks to determine.

Of course, I can check out the one in Harrisburg next time I get a chance to get on board--which might be never.......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:42 am 

Scranton Yard wrote:
Cjbdiesel wrote:
If anyone is interested in helping, information will be provided as the time comes. Until then, continue bashing your face into the keyboard.

Is this passage intended to encourage or discourage other people from pitching in and helping out?

Being unfamiliar with PRR cabin cars, what make/manufacturer stove would be era correct? Anyone have a photo of an era-correct stove?

It's intended to get people to come out and help instead of sitting in RYPN telling us what we can and can't do, which is all too common and almost cost the life of a coach now being restored halfway across the country.

The stove was probably PRR cast. The stack was newer, which probably indicated a new stove.

- Christian B.