It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dumped -abandoned steam locomotive
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:35 pm 

Would like information on obtaining by buying or by filing the correct papers in ownings one or more
Of these steam locomotive that are abandoned /dumped by people , companys that are looking to remove them three property ,

Starting with where to start fiNing the are information .

Post subject: Re: Dumped -abandoned steam locomotive
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:35 pm 

It depends a lot on where you are talking about. Who owns the property where the locomotive is located? Is it under water? Privet, Fed or State?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:36 pm 

Unowned? Really no such thing in the US at least. They are all owned with known owners, a few might be in contention but that means there is already more then one party claiming they own it. If you did have a candidate, your first place to start would be with the land owner, they would have first claim. In any case the way to go about claiming one would be the same as any other unclaimed property.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:50 pm 

That brings up a good question. Of those steamers on land that are abandoned which ones would make sense to recover? Of course someone would need a reason. The ones in that remote area of the north east come to mind. Is there a survivor of a similar classes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:47 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Attachment:
UMMMMMM2.jpg
UMMMMMM2.jpg [ 9.71 KiB | Viewed 13036 times ]

Okay, let's vaguely attempt to be serious here.

If you can find a steam locomotive ANYWHERE on the North American continent that can be in ANY way be considered "abandoned," then it's NOT going to be cost-effective to move said loco anywhere, not even for scrap. That's why it's "abandoned," see?

Even the most derelict, "abandoned" hulks in Cuba and Mexico will quickly have someone coming out to assert ownership--rightfully or not--if you show up intent on removing it. Perhaps even with a pointed gun (ask me how I know).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
JayZee wrote:
Of those steamers on land that are abandoned which ones would make sense to recover?

None.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:30 pm 

I would also add that any derelict locomotives or cars on federal land (Forest Service, BLM, NPS, etc.) are historical artifacts protected by the Antiquities Act. Disturbing or removing them without permission is a federal offense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:05 am 

There is a Pennsylvania Railroad 0-6-0 in the bottom of a quarry in Pennsylvania that might be considered abandoned. PM me. I'll give you the contact info if a Mr. Shaner, who can help you locate it.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:22 am 

wilkinsd wrote:
There is a Pennsylvania Railroad 0-6-0 in the bottom of a quarry in Pennsylvania that might be considered abandoned. PM me. I'll give you the contact info if a Mr. Shaner, who can help you locate it.

You're just plain evil..... :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:12 am 

There may be a locomotive buried in the muck west of Fort Wayne that derailed early and fell into it, there was no attempt to recover it, I don't remember if it was Wabash, NKP or Pennsy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 am 

I think he's talking about a former MEC 2-6-6-2 in a New Hampshire lake, miles from track, intact, and in perfect condition. The ex-Rutland and NYC 2-8-0 and 4-6-0 in the Maine woods are owned by the Maine forest service. They are also a porcupine sanctuary.
I want to know more about the quarry locomotive from Mr. Wilkins!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:17 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I want to know more about the quarry locomotive from Mr. Wilkins!

Mr. Wilkins was making a tongue in cheek kind of post about a fairly well known foamer named Len Shaner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:37 pm 

Even though in reality there is no such thing as abandoned---SOMEONE owns it--there was that fellow in Hoosierstan who stole a bridge and apparently thus far has gotten away with grand theft other than some trivial issue about water pollution.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:21 pm 

There's an "abandoned" C&O American 4-4-0 locomotive in a collapsed tunnel in Richmond, VA (and possibly the bodies of two missing workers). You can read about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Hill_Tunnel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:50 pm 

There are two Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel 0-4-0s in Woodsfield, OH formerly owned by the County Sheriff, Tinker Sulzberger. When he died years ago these locomotives became completely without care and current ownership remains murky. Steaminfo may know additional information about this particular situation. They're not too far gone in my opinion but unless you like doing extensive metalwork it would be an expensive restoration process.

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1793