It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dumped -abandoned steam locomotive
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:24 pm 

Hi
Also there is Boston & Maine pacific # 3666 in Portsmouth ,New Hampshire she fell through the river bridge into the Piscataqua River Oct 10th 1939 , never recovered .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 pm 

Here is what 3666 looked like circa 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNb8FvbdfDE

As of 5 months ago, it was uncertain whether the locomotive was still at that location. In the video is a contact number for a local dive shop, where they might have more information.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:57 pm 

There was a brand new Chinese SY Mikado headed for US tourist line service that went down in the bay of Bengal in the early 90s. It's something like 6000 feet down.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 pm 

So we can't do April Fool's jokes but we can rehash this stuff? As has been mentioned in the many previous threads on the subject, it's better to put your money and efforts into preserving what we do have rather than trying to dredge up another wreck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:06 am 

Hi,

Good point. Double standard.

As for the PRR loco in a quarry, with 13 members of the family having worked for the PRR, 5-6 claimed it was no joke about the PRR switcher in the quarry. They said they hit an underground river and the speed of the filling up of the quarry was such that moving the loco out by the track was not possible (the track was flooded) but they could get down and run. The last died about 2001 - no going back.

Sort of like claiming that there was no train lost in a tunnel in Richmond VA and yet it has been proved.

How about the sunken locomotives off the New Jersey coast - laugh laugh until it was proven that there are two 2-2-2s.

Gad.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:20 am 

Located in Phoenixville,Pa, there are two or three locomotives. They are on private land. There is a machine business located on the property. They might be for sale. I believe that there are 2 tank locomotive from a steel mill, and one other. They can be view from map satellite located on Spring City Road. There use to be a locomotive used on the Valley Forge
Railroad. It's been a while since my last visit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:18 am 

junior wrote:
wilkinsd wrote:
There is a Pennsylvania Railroad 0-6-0 in the bottom of a quarry in Pennsylvania that might be considered abandoned. PM me. I'll give you the contact info if a Mr. Shaner, who can help you locate it.

You're just plain evil..... :P

Wilkins has unleashed the Nuclear Option.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:12 pm 

Quote:
" You're just plain evil..... :P"

Quote:
"Wilkins has unleashed the Nuclear Option"

No. Iä! Iä! Cthul-Lew fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthul-Lew Rail'yeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm 

northernfinds1 wrote:
Located in Phoenixville,Pa, there are two or three locomotives. They are on private land. There is a machine business located on the property. They might be for sale. I believe that there are 2 tank locomotive from a steel mill, and one other. They can be view from map satellite located on Spring City Road. There use to be a locomotive used on the Valley Forge
Railroad. It's been a while since my last visit.

I believe they are all 42in...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:04 pm 

These are former Lehigh Coal & Navigation Coal Company mine lokies. I believe there were two 0-6-0t's and possibly one or two 0-4-0t's. One had its saddle tank removed. The former were quite large. One had to be closely connected to visit them.

I heard a rumor that the last lokie at Wanamie (which was in very stripped and derelict condition) may not have been scrapped. One person claimed that in an aerial view he saw what he thought may have been the locomotive moved off site. I tried to find it but was unsuccessful. I got the word second hand, so you know what that may mean. Does anyone have information on this?

Bernie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:40 pm 

A comment on Wanamie #8, the last one on site, claims that it was scrapped around 2001 and that it was so stated in the January 2008 issue Railfan and Railroad Magazine. I don't have that issue so I can't completely confirm that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:17 am 

Not far from the Phoenixville locomotives is the Massachusetts Electric No. 1 in the Oaks Industrial Complex just off of Egypt Road. These have been here a number of years and look worse and worse as the years pass. I had spoken to somebody who apparently knew the owner who would see if we could slap a coat of paint on it to pretty it up a little but ended up going nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 am 

There are some small steam locomotives sitting in front of businesses, restaurants, and other establishments that could probably be had for the right price.

Just drove past this sad example in Tannersville, PA sitting out front of the Tandoor Palace restaurant.

http://www.tandoorpalacepa.com/gallery/nggallery/page/2

At least it has a coat of paint, but in my opinion, absolutely no connection to the current use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 pm 

I dunno, seems like a good way to steam vegetables and barbecue ribs...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:21 pm 

Perhaps the topic should now read "abandoned restaurant steam locomotives". Check out the Salted Rim restaurant in Ocean View, DE.
http://www.saltedrimde.com/Pages/Photos.aspx?id=10111