It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flying Yankee Streamliner
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:15 am 

Folks,
After many years of static display at Edaville Railroad, the locomotive left for what was suposed to
be an opeerational Restoration.

A great deal of money was spend by a publis /private
partnership. Then nothing further!

Anyone seen anything about this project?

Where is the locomotive now?

Ted66

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee Streamliner
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 am 

This was the last I saw about it, on here just over a year ago......

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38895&hilit=flying+yankee&start=0

I did have the chance to have a tour around it back in September 2013 and the interior restorations seemed to be progressing well.........

Attachment:
13-1763.jpg
13-1763.jpg [ 173.18 KiB | Viewed 12805 times ]

Attachment:
13-1762.jpg
13-1762.jpg [ 161.66 KiB | Viewed 12805 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:21 am 

The FYRG 2013 IRS 990-EZ form is a public record available on foundationcenter 990 search. Lines 9 and 27 in particular explain this group's current status.

PC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:36 pm 

Their 2015 990EZ is now available. I've attached it, below.

Attachments:
FYRG IRS990EZ 2015.pdf [236.47 KiB]
Downloaded 579 times

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:33 pm 

So looking at the 2015 990, it appears the only asset is cash. There is no value listing the actual Flying Yankee as an asset. Do they actually own it or are they merely a "Friends" type group raising funds but no ownership?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:44 pm 

The Flying Yankee is owned by the State of New Hampshire.

PC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:33 pm 

From the photo it looks like a second section has been completed since I visited three years ago. The interior restoration work they are doing appeared (in 2014) to be first rate and if you didn't know that the rest of the train was still incomplete, the effect was pretty remarkable. You could easily imagine what travel was like back when this thing was in commercial service. Structural repairs were under way in the last car when we visited. They admitted that operation was a dream as they have virtually no funding and only a small group of volunteers doing the work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:12 pm 

I'm think operational runs on perhaps 20 miles of track, maybe Vermont Rail, could be a well constructed tourist draw, especially with beverages and light eating fare offered. Staff in 1930's uniforms could make it a premier dinner train.

These people have been steadily beaten with criticism, which frankly, they don't deserve. The effort to restore the "Flying Yankee" deserves kudos for trying, and I hope they get additional support in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm 

Seems like I remember there was a problem finding parts to rebuild the Winton 201-A engine. There was talk of using a Caterpillar gen set as a replacement. Anybody know?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 pm 

Many years ago, when the train was still at Edaville, a plan was drawn up for re-engining the Flying Yankee with common and readily maintainable propulsion system components. However, it did not happen.

When the FYRG became involved with the train they at first intended to rebuild and use the existing Winton 201A engine, the original GE Main Generator, and the GE Traction Motors.

Some years later (around 2007) the FYRG gave up on rebuilding the Winton 201A and announced plans to re-engine the train with a modern and emissions compliant propulsion system.

The most recent news I heard, now several years ago, was that the Winton engine and the original GE propulsion system components were stored in containers that have been moved to a NH DOT storage site to make room at the Hobo Railroad.

PC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 pm 

Does anyone know what work exactly the Winton needs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:32 pm 

Yes, a number of people in the FYRG, several persons who have provided technical information and support to the State and the FYRG, and the NH State DOT manager who interfaces with the group are all familiar with the issues relating to the Winton engine.

Basically, the engine was in need of overhaul when the B&M retired the train, and then Edaville left it stored for years without effective stack covers so rain entering the exhaust manifold drained into cylinders.

PC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:19 pm 

If you have invested in the Flying Yankee (as I unsuspectingly did), you have another chance for similar results: the PRR T-1.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:59 pm 

1361prr wrote:
If you have invested in the Flying Yankee (as I unsuspectingly did), you have another chance for similar results: the PRR T-1.

It's this sort of mudslinging that gives the groups who only update on their sites and Facebook a reason to stay away from here, as well as say that RYPN no longer has a purpose.

I don't understand the hate the T-1 trust receives. They are open with what and how they are going about their quest, they have have sponsors, are doing CAD drawings along with digitizing the original blueprints, and have already started some fabrication. People didn't think that that the 60163 Tornado would be complete and yet it is. I support the T-1 Trust both through with a monthly donation and through AmazonSmile; and I am always pleased with the progress that they make.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm 

IRM has a Winton on display that came from EMD that looks like it could run tomorrow. They also have a D&R EMC SC 600 hp. switch locomotive that has a Winton engine in it. I have no idea what condition that engine is in, it has been outside for many years. Here is a link to photos of it.
http://www.irm.org/gallery/DR14/aas

Steve