It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worse than bad news from Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:47 pm 

It is my sad duty to announce the death of an old friend, the Ferrocarril Mexicano del Pacifico, in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico. This was the last common carrier to use steam locomotives in North America, other than museum or excursion services. In a way, it was a poor man's preservation, because the employees and management of Azucarrera de Los Mochis both agreed to keep doing things like they always had, rather than figure out how to update their rail line.

Looking at the latest google earth view of the area, I can confirm that the tracks have been removed from the Chepe (now Ferromex) interchange, all the way up to the mill yard. Where we once played cards, sipped Tequila, and looked at Mexican girlie mags while the boxcars were loaded, under the wrecked tender of 2-6-2 #5 (our clubhouse), is now a Carl's Junior drive through. Where kilometer marker 0 once was, the tail of the wye with the abandoned rail mounted field crane, I think is Starbucks. The ex- KCM&O enginehouse used to be on the west edge of Wal Mart's parking lot. The sugar mill is closed, falling down, and fenced off.

I can see no trace of the steam locomotives that used to be there. I know that #7 had been moved to a park (with a fountain kicking up constant spray in what is otherwise a very good climate for outdoor display) in downtown Los Mochis. On steamlocomotive.info there is NO ENTRY AT ALL for MdelP #4, the only new locomotive ever built for the MdelP. Google is useless for searches now, since they "correct" my entries as if the Mexicano del Pacifico was merely a misspelling.

I notice that my article is still archived on RyPN, but the images all vanished. Anybody curious about what used to be, but no longer is, can find my article archived on MEXLIST.com in all it's glory. IT'S ALL GONE. The cane hauling (farm to market) type road next to the track is now a four lane divided boulevard. I couldn't see any more details for the tears in my eyes.

Any updated news would be most appreciated, I'd sure hate to think that all that remains of the MdelP is what me and my buddies managed to swipe 30 years ago.

Sammy King

Last edited by QJdriver on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Worse than bad news from Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:16 pm 

Any ideas on the history and fate of this?

Industrial Works #1750 100ton Wrecker 1907
Unknown first owner
Ferrocarril del Pacifico #9002 (converted to diesel)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm 

Sammy -

Wasn't one of the lokeys on the MdeP formerly on the Yosemite Valley? Or is my memory playing tricks on me again?

Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:24 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Sammy -

Wasn't one of the lokeys on the MdeP formerly on the Yosemite Valley? Or is my memory playing tricks on me again?

Les

Les, the YV 29, a 2-6-0 went to Merida on the Unidos de Yucatan. My wife and I saw her in 1982 on a trip down there and she was sitting right next to a beautiful sg 4-4-0.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:31 pm 

I agree Sammy, it is sad news. You always expect things to go on forever though.

I was there once, in March of 1969 while on leave from the Air Force. Had a good time while there and photographed and rode 2-8-2 #4. When I told the shopmen that my grandfather had ran their number 6 when she was California Western 21, they threw a few punky looking logs up into the cab and soon had a nasty looking fire going. A few hours later, she had enough steam up and they let me back her out of the house and I was able to get a tender first shot of her. Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm 

If you find out the whereabouts of No. 4, let me know and I'll add her to Steamlocomotive.info

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 pm 

Sammy & Group,

At least one more of the engines has been saved and put on display, sans tender unfortunately. I searched google.mx using "maquinas de vapor azucarera los mochis" and found these three, among others-

http://tinyurl.com/k4q5nd4 showing removal of one of the engines from the storage site, enroute to display. There's a brief glimpse of another being scrapped.

http://tinyurl.com/m4khozm photos of all the locos lined up behind a chain link fence.

and http://tinyurl.com/n59odlx showing the newly-displayed loco (on TripAdvisor!).

Jim Tatum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm 

1702 wrote:
Sammy & Group,

At least one more of the engines has been saved and put on display, sans tender unfortunately. I searched google.mx using "maquinas de vapor azucarera los mochis" and found these three, among others-

http://tinyurl.com/k4q5nd4 showing removal of one of the engines from the storage site, enroute to display. There's a brief glimpse of another being scrapped.

http://tinyurl.com/m4khozm photos of all the locos lined up behind a chain link fence.

and http://tinyurl.com/n59odlx showing the newly-displayed loco (on TripAdvisor!).

Jim Tatum

Jim, regarding the other one that is saved, minus tender...am wondering if that is the ex SP 4-6-0 which was on the property in 1969 when I was there. She was without a tender even back then and had not seen a coat of paint in years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 pm 

Tom,

The one you mention is the one that was on display in front of the mill for many years, yes? It's still around and has been moved http://tinyurl.com/l2wyrsg I thought I saw a photo of it in new paint but will have to search again!

Jim Tatum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 am 

1702 wrote:
Tom,

The one you mention is the one that was on display in front of the mill for many years, yes? It's still around and has been moved http://tinyurl.com/l2wyrsg I thought I saw a photo of it in new paint but will have to search again!

Jim Tatum

That's her Jim, thank you. Looks a lot better now that she's painted. When I was there, she was deep inside the property, but in a location where you could photograph her.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:44 am 

Tom -

Dug out David Conrad's book to see what I could find out about her. She sure carried a lot of different numbers over her long career! Built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1882 (c/n 1589) as Southern Pacific of Arizona #70, then:

Southern Pacific #150

then, SP #1642

then, Rio Yaqui y Pacifico #208

then, Sud Pacifico de Mexico #208

then, Cia. Unidos Azucarera, S.A. number unkown

then, Ferrocarril Mexicano del Pacifico, S.A. # 2

She was a real "boomer"!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 pm 

OK, thanks for your replies ---

#7 is the engine on display, now without the tender, and also in a new location with no spraying water...

#2 has been relocated without her tender, to a sugar industry museum, to make way for building a new street along the old MdelP right of way.

#2's tender has for years been behind #4 (see my article...) It was shown briefly in the video of #7 being moved, I SURE HOPE THEY HAVEN'T SCRAPPED #4 and #6, not to mention #4's original tank (see my article, it was covered...) !!!

As far as the diesel crane you asked about, the sugar mill in Los Mochis never had anything so nice and modern that I know of. I would suggest posting that question to MEXLIST.com

Sammy King