It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to eat near Chicago Union Station?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm 

Back in the day, I read there were several real food restaurants near Chicago Union Station. Not having been near that depot in over 20 years, I'm wondering what the good, made in the kitchen, sit-down restaurants are nearby.

Post subject: Re: Where to eat near Chicago Union Station?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:09 pm 

Why are you leaving the station?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:27 pm 

I understand your desire. My "go-to" place is The Berghoff, on Adams about 6 blocks beyond the Chicago River. To me it is "old school" Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm 

It's been 20 years since I was in downtown Chicago, but the place where the Amtrak crews liked to go after getting off the train in the morning was Lou Mitchell's, just around the corner from the station, on Jackson Blvd. Great place for breakfast. My understanding is that they changed ownership some years ago, and the new owners shut it down for awhile in order to break the union contract with the servers and then replaced the entire staff, but I don't know that for absolutely sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 pm 

Like Paul, I haven't been to Chicago in a long time. For questions like this, I have found the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum to be extremely helpful. This is not an official Amtrak site. The participants are frequent Amtrak riders who prefer to travel by rail.

I looked at some comments over the past few years and found some of the following recommendations:

* Al's Italian Beef (Adams & Jefferson)
* Beggars Pizza
* The Berghof (a few blocks east)
* Lou Mitchell's
* Giardano's Pizza (2 blocks away)
* Gold Coast Dogs (upper food court
* Luke's Italian Beef
* Boston Blackie's
* or, go a couple blocks west to Greektown for more Greek options.

If you starve in Chicago, it's probably your own fault!

Tom

Last edited by Tom Davidson on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:53 pm 

Lou Mitchell's is a great place to go near Union Station. It's rated #15 of 7,692 restaurants in Chicago on TripAdvisor.

Jim Tatum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:26 pm 

Add Miller's Pub near the Palmer House to the list

Bob H

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:29 pm 

Thank's all.

Berghoff's for me. Not much in the way of German cuisine in Charlotte, North Carolina!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm 

1702 wrote:
Lou Mitchell's is a great place to go near Union Station. It's rated #15 of 7,692 restaurants in Chicago on TripAdvisor.

Jim Tatum

Lou Mitchell's is not fancy, reasonably priced and CLOSE to Union Station. My choice hands down! If you have the time, don't mind a bit of a walk and like German food, then Berghoff's is a great place to go.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 am 

Robinson's Ribs in the Union Station food court is very good. They also have a restaurant in Oak Park where we often go. The rib tips are delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:44 pm 

I just walked to the Berghof while connecting between # 6 and # 48. It hasn't changed much at all in 40 years. The Red Cabbage alone is good enough to justify the 20 minute walk from CUS.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:18 am 

You can get German food anywhere, but if you want real Chicago food you have to go to Al's!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:39 am 

German food is nice, but for something different near CUS, Greektown one mile to the west on Halsted has many paths to satisfaction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:20 am 

Ross, fortunately you missed when the Berghoff closed, reopened by the great granddaughter as a sort of new age cuisine thing then private banquet room and eventually transitioned back to pretty much how it always was.

Wikipedia:

On December 28, 2005, it was announced by Herman Berghoff, 70, and his wife Jan Berghoff that after 107 years of operation, The Berghoff would close on February 28, 2006.

The restaurant's basement cafe reopened on April 18, 2006, during weekday lunch hours only, and was run by Carlyn Berghoff, Herman and Jan's daughter and the great-granddaughter of the founding Herman Joseph Berghoff. She also reopened the Berghoff's bar on May 23, 2006, under the new name "17/West at The Berghoff." At one point, Carlyn Berghoff converted the dining room of the restaurant into a private banquet hall called "The Century Room," however, after a year under new ownership, The Berghoff re-launched their full-service restaurant.

Last year, Carlyn, architect of this travesty of tradition, exited and her brother Peter now owns it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 am 

We seem to have set a precedent here that I would like to honour. We are discussing some extreme differences in opinion and remaining civil.

Returning to the topic at hand - I am among the the many who rejoiced at the resurrection of The (Real) Berghoff and we often try to eat there if we're in Chicago.

I realize that not all of you are willing to pay for the use of the Legacy Club (southwest corner of the Great Hall) however unlike the Metropolitan Lounge there is no objection to bringing in your own food and drink and your baggage is secured without an additional charge. We have had some very nice carry-out meals from Mariano's Market at 40 S Halsted. Their meat department will grill meat, poultry and fish free while you wait and there is a real bakery on the premises. Significant Other and I stopped there on a recent layover before catching 30 and she not only picked up our lunch for that day but also a picnic dinner (including a bottle of a very nice Malbec) and brunch for the next day. The net cost was comparable to the diner (if we had not been comped as sleeper passengers) and the quality was much higher.

Robinson's Ribs is another favorite and has also catered many an overnight trip when yet another Amtrak Cheeseburger just won't do it.

GME