It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cavalacade of Streetcars
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:30 pm 

Scroll down for a short video clip of our Belgian tram in operation at National Capital Trolley Museum. The scene begins with the Hague PCC crossing in front of the camera.

Wesley

Last edited by wesp on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Cavalacade of Streetcars
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:10 pm 

I'm a Facebook user, but unable to view that video.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:42 pm 

Evan and others,

I am not sure what happened to the original link. I updated the hyperlink above to go to our Facebook page where you can scroll down to two videos from the event on April 23.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:02 pm 

Where can those of us not on facebook view it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 am 

The Museum Facebook page is a public page. You do not need to join Facebook or be a user to view the page. Click the link above and scroll down the page. If you do not want to use Facebook then the video link is not available.

To save time and bandwidth on the usual RyPN Facebook and webpage liturgy, please accept my simple apology. Our webmaster and social media folks are volunteers doing the best they can.

Wesley

Last edited by wesp on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am 

Maybe they should try asking someone who is NOT on Fassbook how well that works. Within twenty seconds of loading that page, I get a pop-up that Adblock won't kill, telling me to join Facebook. When I click "not now" the pop-up moves to the bottom 1/3 of the screen and stays, no way to kill it. I don't need to deal with this, so I don't.

How many other potential customers won't, either?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Maybe they should try asking someone who is NOT on Facebook how well that works. Within twenty seconds of loading that page, I get a pop-up that Adblock won't kill, telling me to join Facebook. When I click "not now" the pop-up moves to the bottom 1/3 of the screen and stays, no way to kill it. I don't need to deal with this, so I don't.

How many other potential customers won't, either?

That has started happening to me one every "Public" Facebook page I go to anymore.

I also decline to deal the aggravation.

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am 

wesp wrote:
Our webmaster and social media folks are volunteers doing the best they can.

Wesley

I also apologize, but I don't agree with you on that. They're restricting the content to a limited audience by only using Facebook. That is not "the best they can do".

"But websites cost money and take time!" Well, I think that's time and money well spent, but even so, there's a free and simple solution.

Post your videos to YouTube, where anyone can see them. Then, share the link from YouTube on Facebook. You only have to upload once, you get twice the exposure, and anyone can view it on YouTube. Simple and free.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:50 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Maybe they should try asking someone who is NOT on Fassbook how well that works. Within twenty seconds of loading that page, I get a pop-up that Adblock won't kill, telling me to join Facebook.

You don't even have to ask anyone else, you can test it yourself.

You can test it by logging out of Facebook or simply opening an "incognito" window in Google Chrome. That window has no cookies or other user ID info, so when you click in the link there, it will show you how FB behaves when you aren't logged in.

(Executive summary: Facebook pesters the shit out of you until you sign up or leave in disgust. You can typically only view ONE page on a supposedly public FB Page/Group.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 pm 

Bob Harbison --
Thank you very much for your great advice!

I, too, simply cannot understand why anyone would post videos only on "FaceSplat" (as I like to call it), instead of posting them on YouTube.

wesp --
All groups need to remember that no group can ever afford to irritate people, and FaceBook irritates the heck out of a lot of people, as you can see from some of the comments above mine. So -- use FacePalm (another epithet), but please remember -- put everything on the group's website, and post all videos on YouTube, and put on your group's website just a small clickable image from any video that your group wants site visitors to see.

Volunteer time is precious, and must be spent only on things that are wise and well woth their effort.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:51 am 

thee are a couple of groups I'd like to keep track of, including on company but they all use only Facebook. While I belong to Facebook, I'm on dial-up (all that's available here, trust me, I've tried to go faster), and cannot go to Facebook sites-they just use up too much bandwidth. Most Webpages I can get too, although AMTRAK's website is a major pain for me! Took me over a half-hour last night to check ticket prices for a trip we may take in a few months--a single stop, round trip!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:16 pm 

Friends,

From my follow up post with italics added for emphasis

Quote:
To save time and bandwidth on the usual RyPN Facebook and webpage liturgy, please accept my simple apology. Our webmaster and social media folks are volunteers doing the best they can.

Wesley