It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Up for sale Former LIRR/SEPTA cab units
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:11 pm 

Both of these units saw service as power cars for the LIRR during the Push-Pull years. SEPTA purchased them for gel-train cars. Neither has power or traction motors, but both would make terrific static museum pieces, or even lawn ornaments! Anyway, they are up for sale or scrap. I've listed some uncertain background for the locomotive carcasses, but the FA1 is by far and away most interesting. I do know restoration part replacements are available.
I understand there's not too much time left for either, so whatever your favorite road scheme is, here's your canvas!

Attachments:
File comment: SEPTA F7 622, ex-LIRR, ex-B&O?
LIRR F7.jpg
LIRR F7.jpg [ 72.83 KiB | Viewed 15603 times ]
File comment: SEPTA FA1, ex LIRR, ex SP&S, ex-GN, ex Demonstrator
LIRR 615.jpg
LIRR 615.jpg [ 95.29 KiB | Viewed 15603 times ]

Post subject: Re: Up for sale Former LIRR/SEPTA cab units
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:33 pm 

Thanks for posting the heads up - hope they find a good home!

'Shame, SEPTA does not seem to be much into preservation of its history. Would be neat to see one on display along one of its Reading Lines ROW painted up. Or perhaps I am mistaken, in regards to whether either the Reading or PRR owned such specific models.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:42 am 

Hi,

I seem to recall that CR had a government demanded clause that it could not give anything away for preservation when it was formed in 1976. (PC and other NE railroads mega bailout rolled into CR).

I wonder if SEPTA has a similar clause.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 am 

Quote:
Shame, SEPTA does not seem to be much into preservation of its history.

The Silverliner in the background of the second picture is supposedly going into preservation. It and one other are the only two that have not met the torch since the IIs and IIIs were retired in 2012. As for the F units, it doesn't make historical sense to preserve them because they've only been here a short amount of time.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:07 am 

Hi,

Quote:
As for the F units, it doesn't make historical sense to preserve them because they've only been here a short amount of time.

A point if you are thinking of SEPTA history, but the FA might work as a display in another road's paint scheme. Sort of like McCormicks' NKP PA. Still may not be worth the effort.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 am 

I would argue, it's worth the effort if you want to preserve an FA1 carbody, particularly one that is going to be somewhat less expensive, as it is without prime mover and generator. Sadly, the LIRR had the 244's replaced in a number of these locomotives, and re-fit them with Detroit Diesel "sleds" to generate 800 volts. The inside was modified to accommodate the sled, but given proper drawings, I suppose the original configuration could be returned.
There remain several of these locomotive bodies in deadlines, untouched by their preservationist owners since retirement. In those cases, I would suggest work crews descend, give the bodies a good scraping and quick paint job in whichever classic scheme they choose. If nothing more, it will slow the rust and and quell eyesore status.
But the topic is these two SEPTA retirees. Mitch's suggestion about the Reading T &HS group grabbing one, kind of rings a nice tone.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The reality is that these former locomotives have as much to do with "SEPTA's history" as the Zamboni in the ice rink has to do with a NHL hockey team's Stanley Cup victories.

The 622 is reported to be former B&O F7 265, later B&O 4524, built November 1950. So the Reading Co. guys (who now have two more FP7's in Reading paint coming to their neighbor) aren't the ones to want this.

The 615 is reported to be ex-GN FA1 442A, then SP&S 864, then (briefly) BN 4116.

Does anyone out there want them badly enough? Probably not, but crazier things have happened.

EDIT: 611 changed to 615, data still stands.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 am 

I will start looking in a moment but do you have a contact?

We would be very interested in the FA to make a HEP/cab unit for our bilevel trainset.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 am 

Hmmm... not listed on their website under surplus property. Surprised nothing is listed.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:34 am 

I hope someone can put the FA to use before it gets cut up. I ran it thousands of miles as the SP&S 864 and BN 4116 before it moved to the East Coast. The Alco FAs/FBs were my favorite freight diesel power to run.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:04 pm 

Jim700 wrote:
I hope someone can put the FA to use before it gets cut up. I ran it thousands of miles as the SP&S 864 and BN 4116 before it moved to the East Coast. The Alco FAs/FBs were my favorite freight diesel power to run.

Seems like it would be a good candidate to bring back to the PNW? Maybe add it to the Portland Collection?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:02 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
http://rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7486 (Note: thread from 2003)

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopi ... x?id=54186

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... ?1,2578612

Supposedly sister 866 was saved........ any word on it lately?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:48 pm 

Minor correction; SEPTA did not get 611, it is in South Jersey, along with 601, 602 and 614. All are slowly on their way back to becoming locomotives. 602 (L&N 309) is the closest to running again, followed (most likely) by 601, as both still have their 244s and 581s. 611 and 614 had Detroit 'sleds', but donor locomotives have been purchased to provide all of the missing major parts.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm 

Jim700 wrote:

I would also love to see SP&S 864 brought back to Oregon and painted in SP&S colors, it would be the only authentic Alco cab unit here in its original operating paint scheme ( I know it was a GN unit first but it was SP&S for a while). I wonder if it ever operated on any of the old Oregon Electric, part of which I live about 2000' from.

Attachments:
SPS864-6508.jpg
SPS864-6508.jpg [ 190.34 KiB | Viewed 14619 times ]

Last edited by PMC on Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:14 pm 

Only paint scheme they belong is is Long Island. They should come home where they belong.
Mike