It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another from Shorpey's
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 pm 

From the Shorpey's website. Nice overhead shot of what I think are E-5's or E-6 cabs on the "Super Chief" Great other features, like the fueling system and passenger cars.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/83?size=_original#caption

Post subject: Re: Another from Shorpey's
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:55 pm 

Thanks for sharing that. Interesting "black out" hood over the headlight.

I wish my dad was still around to see that picture. He was in a physics class at the University of New Mexico eleven years before that picture was taken. Someone learned that Albert Einstein was on the train heading to Cal Tech. So the whole class went down to the depot, climbed on board, and filed through the train until they found Einstein. Everyone shook his hand and then jumped off as the train pulled out.

Now I can picture it better.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm 

One thing I notice in this photo is the shear number of bodies that the RR (ATSF) is throwing at this train, compare this to Amtrak where the Station Caretaker might come out and look at the train.

-Hudson

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:19 pm 

The blackout hood is interesting, and so is the fueling system. Obviously a temporary solution, probably due to wartime restrictions. I wonder how long they fueled from tank cars?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:34 pm 

The Santa Fe at this time was only refueling only 8 trains a week at Albuquerque. The diesel powered Super Chief was a twice weekly train and so was the El Capitan. The Chief was still steam as were the lesser trains.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:01 pm 

What I find interesting is that the house track looks like it gets as much traffic as the mains do. Very shiny rails for a track that only holds a couple of cars.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:13 pm 

The number boards are a lot like a Santa Fe (and a few others) PA, one above the windshields (visible from the front) and two on the sides of the nose, rather than the more common three-quarters on the nose. This is the only unit I have ever noticed them placed this way other than a PA. Also, note how they are moving fuel, it looks like just gravity on the hose at the end, but if you notice it looks like they are running an air line from the engine to the tank car dome to pressurize the fuel.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:17 am 

Bobharbison wrote:
I wonder how long they fueled from tank cars?

I'd guess not too much longer after this, as more diesels came online, fuel racks were installed at both ends of the platforms between Main 1 and 2

HudsonL wrote:
One thing I notice in this photo is the shear number of bodies that the RR (ATSF) is throwing at this train, compare this to Amtrak where the Station Caretaker might come out and look at the train.

Albuquerque is still a flurry of activity, though not as much as seen here. A full mechanical staff swarms over the train performing the train's 1500 mile inspection. This includes a full walk of the train, calendar day inspections of the locomotives, and a Class 1 air test. Meanwhile, loads of luggage are thrown by the station staff and conductors, more so during the apex of the upcoming tourist season.

And in a coming in a near full circle, the fuel racks mentioned above are long since decomissioned, and today the Chiefs are fulled by portable tanker trucks.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:35 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
What I find interesting is that the house track looks like it gets as much traffic as the mains do. Very shiny rails for a track that only holds a couple of cars.
That is because the tank cars are probably being moved in and out of the siding twice a week.

This is a westbound Super Chief and it was schedule to be arrive in Albuquerque at 3:40pm and depart at 3:45pm on Wednesday and Sunday. The El Capitan was right on its heels with an arrival at 3:47pm and depart at 3:52pm on the same days.

Eastbound the El Capitan was scheduled there from 6:15am to 6:20am. The Eastbound Super Chief had an evening departure from Los Angeles and so it was in Albuquerque at from 12:45pm to 12:50pm. Both trains were there on Wednesday and Saturday each week.

I'm not sure where the tank cars were spotted for the eastbound trains. But it was probably on one of the platform tracks at the opposite end. And probably moved out of the way between the times of these trains.

So Wednesday was a busy day in Albuquerque. The switch crew was very busy.

The times I quote are from the February 10, 1943, Santa Fe system public timetable.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:22 pm 

Note also the baggage carts and hand truck with bagged linens (?). Lots of servicing activity here.

- Doug Debs

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:34 pm 

The amount of activity, the date, the "modern" train all happily providing coast to coast premium service. Yet the Boeing 707 is waiting in the wings, to appear in just a few years, and in a decade, the whole passenger train way of life will be mortally wounded. Kind of hits me in the gut!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:41 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
The amount of activity, the date, the "modern" train all happily providing coast to coast premium service. Yet the Boeing 707 is waiting in the wings, to appear in just a few years, and in a decade, the whole passenger train way of life will be mortally wounded. Kind of hits me in the gut!

Dick -

You're missing an important step here. Long before the 707's and DC8's, there was the piston powered Douglas DC-6's and Lockheed Constellation's that did the long distance passenger train in.

I appreciate the 1943 photo of Albuquerque. The wife and I have been through, and detrained there, a few times, during Amtrak stops. Interesting the differences. One thing I hadn't noticed before now is the impressed letters in the station tower. Looks like RPY. Standing for?

Les

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:05 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
One thing I hadn't noticed before now is the impressed letters in the station tower. Looks like RPY. Standing for?

Les

It appears to be a hidden watermark for Shorpy. If you look to the left side of the frame, above what appears to be a Railway Express Agency sign and doorway, there's the letters "SHO". It appears Shorpy might be using it to combat someone photoshopping out the larger watermarks.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:53 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
William Diehl wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
One thing I hadn't noticed before now is the impressed letters in the station tower. Looks like RPY. Standing for?

Les

It appears to be a hidden watermark for Shorpy. If you look to the left side of the frame, above what appears to be a Railway Express Agency sign and doorway, there's the letters "SHO". It appears Shorpy might be using it to combat someone photoshopping out the larger watermarks.

Which is somewhat ironic because virtually ALL of Shorpy's imagery is stuff that is technically in the public domain.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:39 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Which is somewhat ironic because virtually ALL of Shorpy's imagery is stuff that is technically in the public domain.

I would be careful with "technically". Either it's in the public domain, or it ain't.

I can only imagine how that would go! Defendant argues "Look, this is a public domain photo, plaintiff added no creative value whatsoever except to watermark it, and even that only to set the stage for a false copyright claim"... at that point I would fully expect the plaintiff to be picking up the defendant's legal fees. At the very least.