It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GTW 5629 Trust
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:03 pm 

Just a few thoughts:

First, the idea of replicating 5629 ought to be off the table right now.

Second, the folks in Durand seem to have some kind of plan for 5632, and that's the best we can logically do in terms of saving a member of the class. Whether she can ever be operated again is way beyond my pay grade.

The 5060 in Jackson may be an entirely different story. She is certainly not a basket case, but she needs TLC. Whether she could ever be steamed again is an open question that depends a lot on how much money is available to throw at the project. I could easily envision her fitting quite nicely into the collection at Dearborn, MI. She would certainly be more geographically appropriate there than certain other items in that collection, such as the B&LE 2-8-0. In operation, she could be an asset to an operation like the Strasburg, or the Valley, or the Mid Continent Museum. Her trailing truck might be an asset for reverse operation.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:02 am 

Having contributed to this thread several times, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, I'm not certain there is any reality or fiber in this proposal. The more I read of it, the more I believe this is not an organized effort. I have yet to see anything to make me believe this is more than a dream of an individual who is excited about saving a locomotive, but has no real plan or structure to do something significant.
Please prove me wrong. Remedy my doubt:

1) Post copies of your written communications with the owners of the two surviving locomotives.
2) Post the URL of your website.
3) Where will the loco go for restoration, and have you discussed this with qualified contractors?
4) Have you worked with other restoration projects, and which were they?

Believe me when I tell you, I am very much in favor of rescuing 5030. This is a million dollar effort, probably more. All I'm asking for is grit to prove you have traction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:33 pm 

There are more important questions than asking a group or organization whether they can present communication with property (locomotive owners), whether they have spoken with qualified contractors, web-based applications, or to reference previous restoration projects.

The interesting questions should be:

1. How do you plan on facilitating fundraising activities that can provide for the relocation, refurbishment and perpetual maintenance of a piece of railroad equipment?

2. Once you are finished overhauling a piece of railroad equipment are you prepared to realistically continue to purchase coal, insurance and operating fees? Are you saving dollars every day for the future?

3. Have you established a written relationship with a railroad company that can provide operating opportunities? Or, will you lease or do you own a railroad line that can help achieve your goals?

4. Do you have a healthy relationship within your line side communities that will provide support and financial stability to your organization? Do the communities even want you operating there?

5. Do you have a professionally designed marketing plan that targets potential passengers with events that are diverse and family friendly? Do you know your target demographics?

6. Will your organization be purely volunteer or involve paid staff/leadership?

7. How will you develop individuals and farm new talent as memories of steam engines/historic railroads continue to fade?

Restoring a steam locomotive isn't insurance that passengers will come. On the front end there will be a massive surge in photos, social media posts and railroad/rail fan publicity. Once the excitement fades your organization will need to be more concerned with keeping revenue coming in.

Who, what, when, where, why and how the engine ran won't be all that important.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:16 pm 

Since the organization isn't even launched it, I am using that as a guide, and thanks a lot. We've agreed that 5629 won't be built immediately. Instead, we're taking your guys' advice and plan on inspecting 5632 and 5030 first to see which of the 2 can be restored

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:58 pm 

Out of curiosity -- can we see a version of the current feasibility plan, with details, for how you propose to do what you want, pay for it, and keep it?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:46 pm 

The plan right now is still a bit blurry. We're saving up as much as we can for backup money, and rely on something like patreon or gofundme while the organization is underway. As for the engine, we're contacting the Jackson City water treatment plant and ask to repair 5030. We don't plan to dress her up as 5629, but that engine needs TLC regardless. Along the way, we plan to hopefully obtain 5632 and dress her up as 5629 some day. As for where to do all this, we're still looking for unused yards or places willing to let us rent space.

I Understand this sounds huge, but we still plan on launching this project in a few years and are gathering as much data, ideas, money, etc.

If anyone had any other ideas or criticisms please tell us!

Also, really sorry about the long delay. I was caught up in personal business

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:54 pm 

The J-3-a in Jackson looks absolutely nothing like the K-4-a that you want to recreate and the K-4-b in Durand, while the boiler is similar, the cab is not and nor is the tender.

Why do you want to modify something historic to the GTW that exist to try to recreate something that was destroyed years ago? Fix up those engines. Try to find somewhere to run those.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:05 pm 

I know that 5030 looks nothing like 5629. We're starting to drop rebuilding 5639 as a top priority, and looking for engines to restore instead. So far 5030 looks like she needs the most attention

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 am 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:19 am 

Anybody got a wooden stake?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:05 pm 

This thread does suggest an important issue, which might be to increase efforts to rescue, or at least, stabilize the engines sitting in parks.
Passing through Gladstone, Michigan, near Escanaba, there is Soo Line Pacific No. 730. It has a very attractive shelter over it with a metal roof. Just google "gladstone michigan" and it should come up. It seems like they respect the engine enough to have it as an attraction.
Building similar structures over park engines might be a better long term focus of limited dollars than other projects.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:17 pm 

I'd suggest centering the lettering and losing the black rectangle over the leaf. It does nothing to add to the story of the 5629, unless you were going for a black box joke. Most steam engines don't have "black boxes" anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 pm 

NorthwestDaylight wrote:

Can we please move on from this? This bump has contributed nothing, and I have changed a lot in the time since. I have made a fool of myself on this thread and in front of experienced rail preservationists. The whole idea was a mistake on my part, but it was for the better for I have learned from this, and I am now a wiser man. Please do not continue this, it will only dig a deeper, more humiliating hole.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:53 pm 

Far better to be a fool than to be a wise man without a dream ! There was nothing wrong with your idea except there were other examples that still survive.
PLEASE: Dream big and don't stop dreaming ! There is nothing to be ashamed about !

Kevin K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:14 pm 

I see no shame in learning. You’d be a fool if you didn’t learn, and showing that you have learned, you are no fool.