It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee Streamliner
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:37 pm 

My understanding from a couple of years ago was that the group had actually put substantial money into 'restoring' the Winton 201A to nominally operational condition, money that might have been much better spent restoring the train. And that, following Mr. Cook's argument, actually 'running' the restored engine would be something of a crapshoot (and sort of 'abuse of a historical resource' since both maintenance and repair involve both parts and procedures that aren't easily available today.

Someone said there was a conversion to "567" power, but that didn't make much sense because to my knowledge the engine in the train is inline but all the locomotive 567s are V-type.

Personally, I think the idea of welding up a frame or 'sled' to match the historical engine and generator mount points, and then providing any combination of workable genset components on that frame, would be the way to proceed. If more horsepower or additional amenities (e.g., refrigerant compressors for external AC components) were desired, they could be relatively easily accommodated without major changes to the restored historic fabric, and removal of the power 'unit' whenever desired ought to be relatively simple even with just a single-hook crane and traveler.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:22 pm 

What Mr. Ellsworth has described is very similar to an early 1980s propulsion system replacement discussed when the train was at Edaville, with the exception that propulsion and HEP would have been provided by separate engines.

That was possible in a package that was within the footprint, total weight, and weight distribution of the Winton engine and the GE generator. The total HEP requirement for this train, even with electric air conditioning, is so small that only a very small HEP engine was needed.

PC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 am 

It seems that a possible "outcome" has been announced:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/flying-ya ... d-10393885

PC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:32 am 

PCook wrote:
It seems that a possible "outcome" has been announced:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/flying-ya ... d-10393885

PC

I think it's safe to say that there could've been a far worse outcome...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:07 am 

The other aspect is the constant barrage of criticism these people have undergone for trying to do something good. Plans don't always offer immediate solutions, although solutions are always available. I'd rather see the "Flying Yankee" people given credit for their effort thus far, than hear about where outcomes changed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:07 pm 

Just as a point of information I was in Lincoln, NH last week. The Flying Yankee trainset is no longer under cover and is sitting on the backside of the Hobo Railroad operation. It is sitting up on wood cribbing. I just couldn't manage a photo while I was there, but it is sitting out in the open and can be easily seen from the intersection of Railroad Street and Connector Road.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:10 pm 

I realize running a 201A would be a costly exercise in futility given the lack of parts but I'm not clear on what would be put at risk if you did bother to do so. You have a non-running 201A, you spend a great deal to somehow get it running, run it a while and then it fails in an unfixable fashion (say, a broken crankshaft), you still have a non running 201A to display. You've only lost time and money. Okay, maybe that connecting rod poking out the side is unsightly but that could always be cosmetically dealt with. Can't see the engine blowing up so bad there is nothing left to display nor is it likely to be a huge risk to personnel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:20 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I'd rather see the "Flying Yankee" people given credit for their effort thus far, than hear about where outcomes changed.

In that spirit let's break down what has been done.

-Trucks rebuilt and converted to rotating end-cap roller bearings
-One car's interior was completed
-New Windows
-Front end of the power car was reskinned
-Frame at front of the power car was replaced
-FY has been weatherized and structurally stabilized
-The Winton 201-A is out and has had some work done (crankshaft was renewed and some new cylinder liners were installed if my memory is correct). That's discounting the fact that they decided to abandon using it as the power plant.
-All the components that were removed and haven't been reinstalled are all in one place and accounted for (at least last I heard they were)
-They have an idea of what it'll take to get it the rest of the way to display condition, and it seems there have been some leadership changes in the view of meeting that goal.

Now then... Certainly the running restoration got botched. But how many projects have fallen flat before because of unseen circumstances? Or maybe good intentions ended up falling flat (you know what they say about the road to hell and all that...) for one reason or another. And you know something else? If it's on display and people can see the Yankee and the restoration group can show the community that they got their act together, then what's to stop them from doing an operational restoration five or ten years down the road once they've established a track record and developed a solid plan?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:27 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:
I'd rather see the "Flying Yankee" people given credit for their effort thus far, than hear about where outcomes changed.

In that spirit let's break down what has been done.

-Trucks rebuilt and converted to rotating end-cap roller bearings
-One car's interior was completed
-New Windows
-Front end of the power car was reskinned
-Frame at front of the power car was replaced
-FY has been weatherized and structurally stabilized
-The Winton 201-A is out and has had some work done (crankshaft was renewed and some new cylinder liners were installed if my memory is correct). That's discounting the fact that they decided to abandon using it as the power plant.
-All the components that were removed and haven't been reinstalled are all in one place and accounted for (at least last I heard they were)
-They have an idea of what it'll take to get it the rest of the way to display condition, and it seems there have been some leadership changes in the view of meeting that goal.

Now then... Certainly the running restoration got botched. But how many projects have fallen flat before because of unseen circumstances? Or maybe good intentions ended up falling flat (you know what they say about the road to hell and all that...) for one reason or another. And you know something else? If it's on display and people can see the Yankee and the restoration group can show the community that they got their act together, then what's to stop them from doing an operational restoration five or ten years down the road once they've established a track record and developed a solid plan?

Thanks to both you and Mr. Glueck for remembering this perspective.

A lot of times we have to take a leap of faith. We know we don't have the complete resources now. We don't know where we might run something yet.

But if we don't do something, sometimes things will just deteriorate. At least someone is making an effort.

And the effort will always be longer and harder than it should be. We not only have to overcome the problems of decay and wear, but we too often have to deal with the cultural issue of us being denigrated as "people who play with trains." That even goes for railroad managements who should appreciate some support from people who take heritage railroading seriously.

From what I can tell, that attitude is almost totally lacking in Great Britain, Germany, and Japan. A lack of that attitude, if not at least some acceptance in certain circles, could do wonders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:19 pm 

When I visited in 2014 the volunteers acting as docents all told us that the biggest issue is money. There is a small but dedicated group of volunteers working on the restoration but they are only able to make progress as money becomes (very slowly) available. They have a vision and have been pecking away at this for a long time, changing the goal to meet their diminished circumstances.

At the time of my visit the trainset was inside a "hoop house" constructed of polyethylene sheeting supported on a tubular frame. This enclosure had seen better days and itself was in need of restoration. If the train is out in the weather now, it is no surprise.

No money is forthcoming from the state so if you have not been there to visit you should refrain from throwing stones at these people and do what you can to help them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:42 pm 

An email was sent out by the Flying Yankee group, re-posted on the American Rails group on Facebook:

"The Flying Yankee Restoration Group is now back on track. We have reorganized with a new and energetic board dedicated to [restore] the Flying Yankee. The Yankee will be moving soon to a location that will allow everyone to get a closer look, in the spring it will be opened up for tours. Keep in touch for more announcements. This email is not just to announce our new board but to also see who is interested in getting regular newsletters and other communications..."

Sincerely,
The Board
Tommy Robichaud - Chair
Wayne Gagnon - Secretary
Joe Santoro - Treasurer
Joseph Linquata - Membership Director
Bill Clark - Vice Chair"

https://www.facebook.com/americanrails/ ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am 

If one of the cars is still unrestored, they should consider setting it up as a dining car. At least that way the galley can be utilized, even if the consist is stationary, and they can fundraise.