It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update on New Hope & Ivyland #40
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm 

I just posted a new progress update for the overhaul of #40 on her facebook page. We've been very busy trying to get this old girl back in service by the end of the year. Please take a look at the link below. There are a lot of pictures with captions posted in the new album "Progress Update: June 2017".

Thanks for taking a look.

https://www.facebook.com/nhrr40/

Brendan Zeigler
CMO
New Hope & Ivyland Railroad

Post subject: Re: Update on New Hope & Ivyland #40
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:35 am 

Thanks for posting the link. Great update on a very neat locomotive. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:04 am 

I fired 40 in early 90's and she was very responsive to the quality of coal that went on her grates. Powdery coal would clinker and require lots of blower and raking to keep air moving and the smoke somewhere near tolerable. Give her nice lumps, and she steamed a dream with a clean stack. That poor coal made life an additional misery for the fireman who doubled as brakeman when running around the train. Handling the cut-off, turnouts and going back to the last coach to do the air test meant you could not work on getting the fire in shape for the return to New Hope. You would work all the way back to get air into the firebox so coal would burn and thereby keep up pressure. With good coal, mostly you could ride the seat box on the return.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 am 

I remember Gary Pfeiffer telling about those same bad coal and clinker problems back in the late 1970s!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:28 am 

Hello Brendan,

Well you made me break down and register for Faceplant so I could enjoy your report. What a great series of pictures and informative commentary.

As someone who has spent many hours running that fine machine I can't wait to see how much better she performs with all the significant upgrades you're in the process of doing.

It will be good to again hear the sounds of steam in New Hope and my thanks go out to you and your team for your efforts, and to NH&I CEO Paul Nichini for his willingness to make the substantial monetary investment needed to fund this work.

Best regards, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:27 pm 

co614 wrote:
Hello Brendan,

Well you made me break down and register for Faceplant so I could enjoy your report. What a great series of pictures and informative commentary.

As someone who has spent many hours running that fine machine I can't wait to see how much better she performs with all the significant upgrades you're in the process of doing.

It will be good to again hear the sounds of steam in New Hope and my thanks go out to you and your team for your efforts, and to NH&I CEO Paul Nichini for his willingness to make the substantial monetary investment needed to fund this work.

Best regards, Ross Rowland

Agree with a well done documentation....but Ross, I didn't have to join FB to read through the series of pictures and descriptions.

As long as it's a public site, you can view any FB page without joining ....you just can't post comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:59 pm 

Thanks Junior. I learn something new every day. Obviously I thought I had to sign up to see Brendan's report, just another example of my very limited computer skills.

Did enjoy all the pictures and the excellent narrative that accompanied them.

I'm betting she'll run like a completely different machine when he and his team finish this rebuild.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 pm 

New update!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/nhrr40/phot ... 8894598109

brendan.zeigler@strasburgrailroad.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:42 pm 

Facebook is what you want it to be. I have found it to be extremely useful in keeping up to date as to what is going on in the world of steam and rail preservation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 am 

Howdy, When I was helping to overhaul the 40 in 1974, one of the regular NH&I volunteers, showed a set of drawings of a proposed conversion of her boiler for the installation of superheaters. The idea was to improve steaming, besides the increase fuel and water economy. The work was conceder not cost effective at the time. Would this be a future option for the 40? Thanks - David Notarius, Wimblington UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:44 am 

Thanks Brendan. Great update and a real learning experience for me as your captions on each picture named/explained pieces & parts I've been looking at for years and never knew their proper name.

As someone who has been honored to be her hogger on many.many trips in recent years up the hill out of New Hope I can't wait to experience the difference in how she'll perform with all your improvements. My guess is that she'll respond as a totally different machine??

Sure will be nice to have steam back on the North Pole Express trains as that's really the cherry on the top of that sundae !!

If possible please give us a little advance notice as to her break-in runs as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to witness her return to life.

And again a big thank you to CEO Paul Nichini for his willingness to invest the huge sums being spent to rebuild her due to his love for steam.

Work safe. Thanks, Ross Rowland