It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Source for IB 250T Wrecker Manuals?
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:54 pm 

We've been doing a little work on our 250T Industrial Brownhoist diesel wrecker to hopefully get it operational. So far we've gotten both engines running. Does anyone have a source for operation/maintenance manuals for IB wreckers? Not a one of us has any experience running or maintaining one of these beasts. Details: Ex-B&O #X216, built 8/52, construction no. 12064.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Source for IB 250T Wrecker Manuals?
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 pm 

Contact American & Ohio Locomotive Cranes.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 pm 

I sold off the set of IB instructions for the Type Z years ago. I should have kept them. I've run the hook that is in New Castle before. There isn't much to it. Air clutches to kick in and out the various dogs. There are only about 36,000 grease fittings to find including a few underneath.

If you are going to play with it some more, I would love to come out and lend a hand.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:10 am 

John - Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give them a shot with fingers crossed.

Rick - Thanks for your offer, we may take you up on that if/when we get stuck or you can stop by when in the neighborhood. Shoot me a PM beforehand. Funny you should mention 36,000 grease fittings. We were just discussing that possibility today.

Here's a link to a shot showing it in it's current condition: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2T3yhb2iQFycllyVW9pUC1BdzQ/view?usp=sharing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:17 pm 

May I suggest an excellent manual for not only determining the condition of your wire rope but also safe rigging practices . Wire rope is one of the most complex pieces of equiptment on a crane , most often over looked. This manual is the basis of most crane training programs in the US and Canada . The original printing was "Construction Safety Association of Ontario Rigging Manual " . It has been updated through the years but still easy to find. I also highly recommend " IPT's Crane and Rigging Handbook" which is a thick but small paperback field manual which borrows heavily from the Ontario book . These books will be an eye opener for you and very interesting . Good luck.
Mark Secco
Crane Safety and Training
Illinois Railway Museum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:40 am 

Mark - Thanks for the tip. I'd been thinking about the condition of the existing wire rope and how we could determine if it was still serviceable if/when the time comes. That would have been another question down the road. I'd say we're a long way away from actually using it for something productive, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:12 pm 

Hey Eric,
If you do end up needing some new wire rope , go online to " Wire Rope Exchange" where rigging companies list new rope, shackles , hook blocks, chains etc. that they want to unload from their inventories for various reasons ,cheap . The listings can change daily. Keep your eyes open for 1 1/8" and/or 1 1/4" 6x19 (which also includes 6x26 ) XIP RRL IWRC which is the most common specs. for wrecker wire rope, but of course if the manual says different go with that. The books I mentioned also describe how to measure and determine yourself the ropes condition. The translation for the above are in the books . They are XIP = extra improved plow steel , RRL = right regular lay , IWRC = inner wire rope core . Wire rope expense will be low if you catch a good deal. Once you're set up with a turn key operation, you'll be amazed at how much you use her. You've got a great machine there. Happy Craning !
Mark.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 am 

I just got word that American & Ohio Locomotive Crane has been sold to IPS Cranes of Duluth, MN. Everything is being moved there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:17 pm 

I just received this message from IPS cranes in reference to the old records:

"Actually- they are of great importance to us. We were both the same company that split years ago. We are the OEM so we will not be getting rid of any documents."

and this from the former owners:

"With the steadily declining locomotive crane population over the past many
years, and the reluctance of railroads and other industries to use these
railbound/captive units, it has become quite evident that there is not
enough business out there for two major players.

While it was a difficult decision to sell the company, it was the right
thing to do for the corporation.

I have met at length with the President/CEO and the Chairman of the Board at
IPS and it is their intention to save and preserve all of the records we
have passed on to them through this transaction."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 pm 

There really wan't much in the way of actual manuals for the IB wreckers. There were manufacturer's manuals for the engine, twin disc clutch etc., but otherwise it was mainly parts diagrams and listings. Some pages devoted to lubrication, setting the crane set up for self propelling or travelling, clutch adjustment etc. There isn't anything mysterious about them. They are big but extremely simply built.

Go over there one day, start the engine. Build up some air pressure. start exercising the clutches in and out. Then one at a time go through the various motions.

If this is the diesel crane at DABO, we used it years ago when we lifted another crane that was on site. Its a good runner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 pm 

John - I had gotten no response from A&O via email, was going to call but I'll try IPS.

Rick - Yes, this the diesel at DABO. Lube specs/diagram would be paramount so we know the proper lubricants and find all the grease fittings. Set-up instructions would be wonderful but given time, we'll probably figure it out the hard way.

Once we get a sight glass made for one of the engines and get everything all lubed up, we'll start playing with it to figure out which lever does what, fix it it doesn't and see if it'll move on its own. We also have a magnet and clamshell so it may come in real handy for other than lifting by hook. Fingers crossed that it doesn't need a ton of work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 pm 

A heads up on operating IW and BE wreckers.
Most Industrial (Brownhoist)Works wrecking cranes use a worm gear to power the boom wire rope drum. On this worm gear is an automatic spring applied brake band to keep the boom from lowering with or without a load. If this brake band is not set correctly or it's lining has disinigrated with age , the boom can do a slowish drop until the drum runs out of wire rope. Then the zinced on end buttons will be pulled off the ends of the boom wire ropes and the boom will drop the rest of the way to the ground in a heart beat.

Last edited by M Secco on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:16 pm 

Most BE wreckers have 2 dogs , which only 1 engages at a time to keep the boom from lowering. These dogs must be free to move or they will not engage the boom drum teeth. There is an interlocking mechanism that keeps the jaw clutch from disengaging until 1 of the dogs are engaged. BEWARE! BE had some trouble with this system. If the boom drum jaw clutch is allowed to travel to far, the short interlocking rod end, runs pass the boom dogs and allows both the jaw clutch and boom dogs to be disengaged at the same time resulting in an instint drop of the boom to the ground or through your Idler car. This must be ajusted properly. This is easy. It may only take a washer or two if needed. You will know if your BE wrecker ever dropped it's boom. The bottom boom flanges will be bent up directly over the main block.
Good luck.

Last edited by M Secco on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:53 am 

This is a longshot but you might check with the Texas Tank Car Works in San Angelo, Texas. They have a few old cranes including a 250 ton diesel wrecker. I don't know if they're still in business but the cranes are still there. They might have some manuals tucked away somewhere in their office.

http://www.ttcw.net/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 am 

Mark - Thanks for the tips on what to watch out for. The boom doesn't appear to have been dropped any time - no apparent damage or evidence of previous repairs. It might be wise to shore up the boom before we try to move it.

Charlie - Thanks, I'll add Texas Tank Car to the list of possible contacts.