It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another museum is being broken up.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:56 pm 

Could anyone provide any contact info for this group? There's no reason for some of this stuff to be cut up if they're willing to give it away or sell it for cheap. I'm not interested in Facebook so I don't have a way to contact them through that method.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:35 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
info@truckeedonnerrailroadsociety.com

http://www.truckeedonnerrailroadsociety ... /about.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:21 am 

Apparently they have not told membership about this issue. Members are finding out via social media that "their" equipment needs a home..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:45 pm 

Quote:
D6311B (9/18/53); CED4232M (nd)

D6311B (9/18/53) is "Exterior painting arrangement SP 'Cascade' cars"
CED4232M is "Painting, striping and lettering for SP-owned lightweight cars used on the 'Overland' train"

The paint codes are in a separate file at Tom's website... searching only the number will show you what it means...

http://www.pullmanproject.com/Paint_Text.htm

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 pm 

jmlaboda wrote:
The paint codes are in a separate file at Tom's website... searching only the number will show you what it means...
Jerry,
Thank you for the link.
Somehow I missed that table on the visit after Tom put it up and every visit after that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:54 pm 

Pretty lucky WRM actually found someone who wanted their SP wrecker.

I wonder if the Truckee RR Museum was also lucky enough to find takers for their unwanted crane, loco, car and wrecker?

CCDW wrote:
It would appear that the fledgling railroad museum in Truckee, California is not thriving. I was contacted as a representative of Nevada State Railroad Museum regarding the rolling stock and our interest in it. We really aren’t in a position to acquire any of it so I throw this out to all of you. The collection consists of:

A burro crane
A GE center cab
Passenger car
A steam wrecker with tender.

There is a rotary snow plow however the city of Truckee has expressed an interest in it.
PM me if you desire more information.

CCdW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 pm 

Is there any news on the disposal of their equipment?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:35 pm 

These is nothing on the Truckee Donner RR Museum web page about them having to move. After following several links I found their Facebook page where it mentions they are working with another local museum to save something. It looks like there will be room for the wrecker and rotary snow plow. The GE switcher has been sold to the Virginia & Truckee RR and the small crane has been sold to an unnamed museum at Oroville, CA.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:13 am 

The information on the drawing numbers and codes is partial - it is correct for the Operating Dept. / Company (depending on era). In other words, CE refers to not the car manufacturing engineers - but the operating company engineers.

Likewise, the drawings at the Newberry are from the Operating Company - NOT the Manufacturing company. HUGE difference, that is the main reason for so much erroneous information floating "out there" - when you're blind and you feel up an elephant's leg, it takes a lot of looking to actually know you're in deep **** instead of the mouth.

The Specifications, Drawing List and *original manufacture* drawings are at the Pullman Library - including paint information. That in the Newberry is post manufacturing. Neither being wrong, both being a snapshot ONLY. You CAN NOT make relevant analysis on Pullman by looking only at the Newberry or only at the Pullman Library.

Doing so is fraught with pitfalls. The term "Composite" is one example - at the Newberry, this is taken to mean "of multiple constructive materials (usually wood & steel)". At the Pullman Library, that word is VERY different, as it defines a car that has multiple uses (esp., but not limited to library/buffet/baggage cars). When you read certain books and papers regarding Pullman's terms or "codes" (sic) you are usually reading/hearing the OPERATING arm's information ONLY - *NOT* the Manufacturing or Manufacturing/Operating company.

The Newberry has scanned their Pullman drawings. What you can see on-line is the low res versions (copies are high-res). They have about 10,000 drawings. We have over 20,000 scanned, and over 2 million in total. They do not have railroad "experts" to provide caption or metadata, and some of their drawing information (and the resultant analysis) is far off base as a result. It is a tremendous resource, but one *MUST* know its limitations. If not, you are liable to get the incorrect version of events out there. I look at it as if it were post Augie at the DPL.

The issue must be addressed as far as IRM is concerned with a new web page - which has been in the works for years. And at that, input must be more consistent and correct than it has been. The gestation period for an elephant is less time consuming. But there are viable reasons for that...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:49 am 

I think rswebber has made an error. His message seems to have nothing to do with the Truckee museum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm 

Um...it was a direct reply to several previous messages AND a direct reply to the equipment at said museum. Sorry to try to be informative and complete in answers. I know being informed is no longer "cool" but I thought, perhaps, it might be in a preservation forum - sarcasm or no.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:25 pm 

Sorry! I was not trying to be snide or sarcastic but thaught you had posted to the wrong topic (I have done this). When I went back to last July on page 1 I found what you were reffering to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:10 am 

Just as a follow up, their Facebook page reports that the wrecking crane and rotary snowplow have been moved to a pocket track where a small park will be built around them. It looks like the boom car for the crane isn't included. The passenger car has been moved to a temporary location but I couldn't find out exactly where it is. All of this was reported in May of 2018, so you'll need to do some scrolling on their Facebook page to find it.