It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Railways of Mexico No. 3028 Status?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:22 pm 

What is the current status of National Railways of Mexico (Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México) No. 3028 at the New Hope and Ivyland? Last I heard she was on the "dead line", in various states of decay in New Hope, PA.

Here is another question, how did it end up at the NH&I?

Thank You,
Cody Muse

Post subject: Re: National Railways of Mexico No. 3028 Status?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:59 am 

Still in the line, still dead. Focus right now is on their passenger car fleet and getting 2-8-0 #40 back up and running, hopefully by October, to break it in before pulling the North Pole Express trains.

As for how it got there... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32210&start=19

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:33 am 

This topic is almost as bad as the topic of another Pennsylvania located steam locomotive....

Quick use of the "search option" on this site reveals 18 pages of information related to the NdeM 3028.

-try it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:30 pm 

junior wrote:
This topic is almost as bad as the topic of another Pennsylvania located steam locomotive....

Quick use of the "search option" on this site reveals 18 pages of information related to the NdeM 3028.

-try it!

Or, one could ask the question and receive a quick reply as opposed to sifting through 18 pages of information. What is the purpose of posting comments like the ones I quoted?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm 

Lest this slip into a downward spiral, I'd nonetheless like to side with Cody & Murph here. He's new to the forum, so lets cut a little slack. Besides, no real harm done.

I can appreciate the interest on this machine. I missed them by a few months while they were in Mexcio, but have some great tapes from the late Virgil Staff of them on their knees with over tonnage rock trains trying to get out of Valle in a downpour.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:29 pm 

Thanks for all the replies... I actually did use the search function, but thanks for the tip. A lot can happen in just a few months, note the last post was December of 2016. I wasn't sure if the NH&I had pulled it into the shop yet... I live in Colorado, a very long way from PA, and not many people seem to know anything about that particular engine clear out here. If I'm not mistaken Sammy King likes this engine, he may have mentioned this to me at one time.

A little off topic:

I can sure say Sammy is one heck of a guy! I have been able to get too know him, and I have to say he is quickly becoming a good friend.

Thanks again,
Cody Muse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
murph wrote:
Or, one could ask the question and receive a quick reply as opposed to sifting through 18 pages of information. What is the purpose of posting comments like the ones I quoted?

You would probably be insulted if any of us responded "It's just sitting there" and "by rail." Which are accurate but unfulfilling answers.

When you get a "do the research" answer to a query here, it's usually because the full answer to seemingly simplistic questions like these in rail preservation is typically fraught with multiple complexities of answers and circumstances. A simplistic answer in such a case is typically worthless, and at times completely wrong. Ask five people involved, get five varying answers. Quite often, those multiple issues--physical condition, ownership issues, economic issues, etc.--have been rehashed over and over in this forum in the past for just about any vaguely-known steamer out there in the U.S. and Canada.

"Wikipedia: the home of the C- term paper. If you want an A paper, do the work."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
junior wrote:

Only one? <:-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:36 am 

Cody Muse wrote:
Thanks for all the replies... I actually did use the search function, but thanks for the tip. A lot can happen in just a few months, note the last post was December of 2016. I wasn't sure if the NH&I had pulled it into the shop yet... I live in Colorado, a very long way from PA, and not many people seem to know anything about that particular engine clear out here. If I'm not mistaken Sammy King likes this engine, he may have mentioned this to me at one time.

A little off topic:

I can sure say Sammy is one heck of a guy! I have been able to get too know him, and I have to say he is quickly becoming a good friend.

Thanks again,
Cody Muse

Quite right, Sammy got down to Mexico before the curtain fell in June of 1968, just before the Olympics. He was able to move some of this type too, if I recall correctly.
He'll be more than happy to relate any experiences. Good guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

Note that I do not speak for the railroad here. But it is my understanding that once #40
Gets done her work and comes back (October or so this year), then the next candidate would probably be 4-6-0 #1533 - as various social media pages have already been set up for her in anticipation of providing updates and such of a potential restoration.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:00 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
Note that I do not speak for the railroad here. But it is my understanding that once #40
Gets done her work and comes back (October or so this year), then the next candidate would probably be 4-6-0 #1533 - as various social media pages have already been set up for her in anticipation of providing updates and such of a potential restoration.

I wouldn't hold my breath. 1533 has been "next in line" since it was sidelined in 1975.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 am 

Junior speaks wisely.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 am 

I know 1533's chances are less than optimal. 1533 has gotten "the shaft" since the mid-70's, and is far better suited to the NH&I's needs than a 4-8-4 of Mexican descent. With the hope that her essential pieces haven't gone off as scrap, my personal hope would be to see the CNR ten-wheeler given a decent chance to operate once more. Yes, she'll take a million buck, but watching that NdeM Niagara piddle away in a perpetual state of repair is insulating. The 4-8-4 has been dragging since I the mid-70's under the care of several groups.

I'd like to see 1533 taken on by a group of earnest preservationists before she's lost forever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:29 am 

Truth be told the sole reason that # 40 has been put through such an extensive ( and expensive !! ) total overhaul is that the CEO loves steam. They have demonstrated for several years now that they can carry just as many people using much cheaper ( to operate AND maintain) diesels vs. steam so number 40's rebirth is totally due to Paul Nichini's love for steam.

As to restoring the 1533,..... I can assure you that as soon as someone's check for $ 1,500,000.00 clears the bank her restoration will commence immediately. Until then, she'll continue to sit on the sidelines.

Money talks and ......walks.

The way it is. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:33 pm 

It is a shame though that such a good engine sits. All it takes is cubic $$$$. Given that the '33 has sat so long there would be a lot of boiler and running gear work. I used to ride the cab of '33 in the early 1970's and she used to be pushed to the limit pulling boxcars of paper for the Union Bag plant next door up the last grade from the Perils of Pauline bridge. Good that one of her class is running in Canada.
Wasn't there something about when the 3028 came to New Hope she was supposed to be
restored in 5 or 10 years. I also read that it had been sold to a group from New York.
Is there any accuracy to either statement?

Alan