It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truck Strikes Chehalis-Centralia Excursion Train
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A Curtis, Wash. man was injured and cited for failing to yield when his pickup truck collided with the Chehalis-Centralia steam train on Saturday evening.

No injuries on train, truck driver injured, no derailment.

http://www.chronline.com/crime/curtis-m ... 3360f.html

Post subject: Re: Truck Strikes Chehalis-Centralia Excursion Train
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 pm 

The Olympia's article (Truck crashes into historic train in Lewis County) linked to a picture of the collision that was posted on Twitter:

Truck collides with Chehalis-Centralia Railroad steam train on state Route 6 near Adna. Driver injured.

I hope everyone is ok and that no polka dot hats were harmed by the collision!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:21 am 

A few years ago an elderly driver drove past warning lights into a museum train on a crossing in NC, at about 10 MPH. The train was running even slower going into the yard......

There is a time to get out from behind the wheel and leave the driving to others.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 am 

The rather significant damage to the front of the truck indicates that the impact was at a pretty good rate of speed. It would appear that he either tried to beat the train, or simply wasn't aware it was there. Either way, not good for the driver. It was a bright sunny day, the lights were working, there's really no reason to not see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:54 am 

Bobharbison wrote:
It was a bright sunny day, the lights were working, there's really no reason to not see it.

Or hear it.

I second the hope that all polka dot hats were unscathed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 pm 

Hi,

There is a third option that in no way excuses the accident. He was too stunned to see a steam locomotive and froze.

I saw a video of the older accident about 4-5 years ago and you could see the driver was too stunned to see a steamer and drive into a caboose (I think).

Doug vV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm 

Dougvv wrote:
Hi,

There is a third option that in no way excuses the accident. He was too stunned to see a steam locomotive and froze.

Rather unlikely. Comments on Facebok indicate that he's a local living nearby, and the CCRRA has been running on this line for years, 3 trips a day on Saturday, every weekend, all summer long, as well as Sundays and other times. This is nothing new to the folks in that valley.

There is a far more likely explanation. It's common to misjudge the speed of an approaching train. He may well have thought he could beat the train rather than wait for it to slowly roll by. It's not exactly a unit coal train, but they do only go about 10 mph.

As for Polka Dot hats, I don't know if Harold was running, but no injuries to passengers or crew on board the train.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 pm 

Dave wrote:
A few years ago an elderly driver drove past warning lights into a museum train on a crossing in NC, at about 10 MPH. The train was running even slower going into the yard......

There is a time to get out from behind the wheel and leave the driving to others.

https://youtu.be/enkh9A5jdUI

This video that you speak of always makes me laugh hysterically....I mean, completely oblivious to the train, but manages to follow the twists and turns the road leading up to the crossing..... although he/she didnt follow the no crossing the double yellow line rule.....

Gotta love stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 pm 

Years ago, while working a special event at the Portola Railroad museum, I was driving out of the Members' back area. I stopped for the demonstration train, which was going by in front of me when the local garbage truck drives up behind me and proceeds to impatiently go around me and almost drives into the SIDE of the train (not the locomotive, it had already cleared the crossing). I guess he never expected a train to be on the track!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:46 am 

Dave wrote:

I noticed in one of these stories that the driver in this incident would be considered older, too, at the age of 82.

I'm 62, and I'm not sure I'd want to be driving at that age. . .even though some fun has come back into driving for me in the form of a manual transmission on my new Nissan Versa.

Love clutch pedals and floor levers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm 

It is possible not to see a train. The mind sees what it expects to see. Back in the 1960s when I was a new driver I came up to a crossing near my home. The lights were flashing and the horn was blowing and I didn't react. Just before it was too late I realized what was happening and spun my Honda Trail 90 around before plowing into a Great Northern passenger train. In the 1990s I saw a guy drive right into a standing train. He turned right off of the main street and drove into the side of a standing locomotive. Despite the fact that the locomotive was not moving and the crossing lights were flashing he swore that he did not see the train and that it had run out in front of him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:40 pm 

OK I confess...in 1979 I happened upon the 4 green SR FP-7's working a ballast train in my hometown. I was so smitten by this scene that I drove over a curb and lost a hubcap. My date was NOT impressed.
I have learned a lot since then...I can now drive, take pictures, text, play frogger, eat pizza and drink a Coke Zero all at the same time. So we all need to practice multi-tasking in order to be safer drivers.
T7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:34 pm 

Termite7 wrote:
OK I confess...in 1979 I happened upon the 4 green SR FP-7's working a ballast train in my hometown. I was so smitten by this scene that I drove over a curb and lost a hubcap. My date was NOT impressed.
I have learned a lot since then...I can now drive, take pictures, text, play frogger, eat pizza and drink a Coke Zero all at the same time. So we all need to practice multi-tasking in order to be safer drivers.
T7

You're not being a safe driver if you're not putting your full attention towards the road. If you're multitasking, you're not being a safe driver, plain and simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 pm 

Hi,

Recall that none of us is perfect. To expect otherwise is not logical. Stunned moments have happened to me a couple of times. The best result is to learn from the failure, not to not make the failure in the first place.

Doug vV