It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Progress on 1309?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
What's wrong with Pullman green and elegant Railroad Roman Extended in gold?

It seems hardly any heritage roads use that.

It doesn't show up well in family photos. Got to keep in mind who pays the bills.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 pm 

Just so everyone knows, the article we are looking at is actually a television transcript; that is, it is based on what was said on camera and then edited slightly. It appears they have done a bit of sloppy editing.

That being said, the real crux of the issue here seems to be that the on and off camera information given by the railroad didn't seem to match the audience. For example, how many non-railroad oriented people know what a "Geep" is? Similarly, the 'circus' comment effected us similarly because, even as a railroad oriented audience, most of us did not know what it meant.

Their is a lesson in here that we all can learn from. If you want to communicate information to the public clearly, tailor your information and message to the public.

Stephen Piwowarski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 pm 

jlg759 wrote:
I would like to interject here if I may. I was appointed foundation coordinator by Mr. Garner awhile back. Once I got the position if you look the foundation was becoming very active we painted the crew room , painted the turntable in Frostburg and worked on some freight cars along the way as well as 1309. I was also asked to be the photographer and posted progress photos frequently. We had a model shoot (AKA Rosie the Riveter shoot) . I worked hard for the railroad and along with other foundation members raised $8,000 from raffle drawings for photos I donated of the 734 during trips. The last two photo trips were coordinated and ran by me and the wonderful crew at the WMSR. Things were going good and the group was preparing for our next project. I was asked to prepare a report for Mr. Garner that he needed in 8 days. The next day I had to rush my uncle to the University of Maryland hospital with a life or death liver issue. I prepared the report in the waiting room of the hospital and was planning on driving it to Cumberland from my Home in Greencastle Pa to give to him the next day. Six days before he needed the report. Instead I received a call from Kevin Rice who said Mr. Garner wanted all the foundation stuff back and sent Kevin to get it. In my 26 years of management I have never treated an employee like this or not been man enough to speak with them. I have since called him a few times and work things out like a man. However he has not returned any calls or offered any explanation as to what happened. I do wish the railroad luck but not as excited as I once was.

Joe Goodrich

So what do we know about Mr. Garner (background, experience, etc.), since he has been making so many wholesale changes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:01 pm 

I'm just gonna leave this right here...

https://www.wcbcradio.com/?news=wmsr-ex ... -documents

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:57 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
I'm just gonna leave this right here...

https://www.wcbcradio.com/?news=wmsr-ex ... -documents

Wow Jim. This isn't good. According to a Trains newswire article earlier this year, it appeared that WMSR was turning itself around. I guess that did not come to pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:31 pm 

https://www.wcbcradio.com/?news=superin ... d-finances

Mr. Garner's Radio Interview...

If I understand his reply towards the end of the interview, Mr. Garner remarks that he has been with 15 different Heritage Railroads. I knew he worked at the Gettysburg and with NS at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:35 pm 

https://westernmarylandscenicrailroad.blogspot.com/

Just arrived in my email.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 pm 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
https://westernmarylandscenicrailroad.blogspot.com/

Just arrived in my email.

I won't claim to be an expert, but I like this photograph.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7DgzEo661Ds/ ... 0892-3.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:47 pm 

Hello,

Zooming in on the photo, it's appears the tubes are welded to the flue sheet?

It's been almost 30 years since Mr. Laepple invited me to assist on a certain restore in central PA. I can't recall but are boiler flues typically rolled and beaded? If this photo appears correct, is welding accepted practice also?

As I recall copper ferrules were used previously, but now no more?

Requesting if the subject matter experts here on this forum could confirm.

Thank you.

Randy Musselman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:48 pm 

Common practice is to roll and bead the tubes and then apply a seal weld as you can see in the photo. The term is a little deceptive as the intent is not to seal the tubes to the flue sheet, rolling does that, but to protect the ends of the tubes from the heat of the fire.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:48 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The white flag has been waved, at least with regards to the special premiere charters:

Quote:
CUMBERLAND, Md. — Western Maryland Scenic Railroad and Trains Magazine will postpone inaugural photo-charter freights with Chesapeake & Ohio 2-6-6-2 No. 1309, Chief Executive Officer John Garner and Trains Editor Jim Wrinn announced Tuesday. The delay will give the railroad more time to perform additional running gear work, complete restoration of the 1949 Baldwin-built locomotive, and complete break-in runs. The 80 ticket holders for each photo freight will be given the first opportunity to reschedule their reservations to an early 2018 date.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... nouncement

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:07 pm 

This was inevitable. When I visited the WMSR shop in January my WAG was that they were at least a year away from having her reassembled and the bugs run out of her.

Hopefully most of the folks with paid reservations will agree to leave their money in the pot and accept deferred dates for their rides.

She'll sure be some sight to see running up that steep grade in the snow.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 am 

Thats the buggers when you pre-announce projects when the main focus (1309) wont be ready. A differrent industry has the same ordeal but it always runs down to..-when its done-.

765 was 4 years of clunking on weekends mostly in its original restoration. 1309 is going much faster.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:58 am 

So in the latest article from today Aug 2nd http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... -1309-work It states that another major delay is that there is corrosion pitting in the axles that needs to be machined out and this also means rebuilding crank pins and wheel boxes. Wouldnt Strausburg have noticed this pitting when the wheel were up there for work?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:55 am 

OK, how does turning the axles (assuming the pits aren't just the little kind that help out by carrying the grease) require crankpin work? Crown brasses, yes, obviously..... but crankpins?

I think if Strasburg is hired to do one job only, they will do it very well and call it done. Other folks are in charge of the restoration. It was up to them to plan and execute. If you hire a tire firm to replace your tires, do you expect them to also rebuild your transmission?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next