It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kettle Moraine Railway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:39 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Wow, those coaches really turned out nicely! Could be some of the finest looking former Lackawanna coaches running in my opinion.

It's funny sometimes, how things work out. I re-started this thread this past Sunday after 5 years, just to see how things were going these days in North Lake. And then I find out that the ex-DL&W coaches that the wife and I rode in at the V&T last year, came from the Kettle Moraine! Thanks for the info, and Bob, you are right, the coaches are wonderful to ride in!

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 pm 

I have been watching this post for quite some time now. I was one of the engineers out at the Kettle Moraine Railroad up until the day it closed in 2001. I had volunteered out there for the last 13 years or so. I have to say that it was a neat operation. Unfortunately the township did not like it....

As of July 2012 all of the track has been ripped up with the exception of the track around the depot and shop. The ROW will be part of the Bug Line Trail.

I will post some pics of the yard and ROW from July of 2011.

Michael

Attachments:
File comment: ROW looking East from highway VV
kmry3.jpg
kmry3.jpg [ 26.58 KiB | Viewed 10272 times ]
File comment: Looking out past the yard to the main heading east.
kmry2.jpg
kmry2.jpg [ 40.47 KiB | Viewed 10272 times ]
kmry4.jpg
kmry4.jpg [ 43.68 KiB | Viewed 10272 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:27 am 

Michael -

Thanks for the comments. I was always going to get up to North Lake and ride the line, but never did until the very last day they ran. Boy, I'm sorry I didn't make it up there more often. It was really a nice little operation.

Your photo of the open air box car is interesting. I had sent a note to Steve Butler asking about its availability, but our museum decided instead to convert a flat car on the property into an open air car (and we now have a second flat car so converted). I wonder what the heritage and history of that boxcar? Sure seems like somebody could use her.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:20 am 

Satellite photos tell the story. They still show the shop and some loose, rusting equipment.

Much of the ROW has been sold and developed. The remainder looks more like a interurban, with all the urban development.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:58 pm 

Question, is the ancient vertical boring mill still in the parking lot? I saw that a couple of years back and dreamed of bringing it home. Can't remember if I asked Steve about it or not. Would ask him but do not know his phone number any more and haven't seen him for a number of years now. Any of you ex volunteers know if that is still around? I was so full of gorp that it would of survived outside for quiet a while without getting rusty.

Cheers, John.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:06 pm 

mmichaud wrote:
I have been watching this post for quite some time now. I was one of the engineers out at the Kettle Moraine Railroad up until the day it closed in 2001. I had volunteered out there for the last 13 years or so. I have to say that it was a neat operation. Unfortunately the township did not like it....

As of July 2012 all of the track has been ripped up with the exception of the track around the depot and shop. The ROW will be part of the Bug Line Trail.

I will post some pics of the yard and ROW from July of 2011.

Michael

Michael -

I took another look at your photos from last year (2011), and now I admit I'm a bit confused. One of the reasons given for the shut down of the KM was "suburban sprawl" and "McMansions". Not visible in your photos. On my only ride on the railroad, I DO recall seeing some houses at the far (east) end of the railroad, but also seem to remember that the west end was fairly wooded, had the trestle over the river and all-in-all, seemed more scenic. This west end was also where the shops were located in North Lake. The other reason for the abandonment of operations was that Merton, Wisconsin claimed that the KM was violating the towns "junk ordinance". But wasn't the shop (and any "junk") actually located in North Lake? The only thing in Merton would have probably been the rail line itself. Did Merton consider the rails as junk? Maybe I've got this all wrong.

Also, there was a report the KM was at one time, considering a new location. Did this not pan out?

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:58 pm 

Les,

The far east end where the run around track was is now a huge subdivision. Actually where we would stop and run the locomotive around is now part of someone's backyard.

The pictures I posted have the houses right out of view off of highway VV. If I recall correctly there are a couple of subdivisions now. Around the trestle there are condos overlooking the area on what would be the south side of the ROW.

It was the township of Merton that was the problem. North Lake falls in that township. The KMRY had not gone through Merton since 1985. The ride use to be about 1.5 miles longer prior to that time.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:40 pm 

Michael -

Thanks for the info. Is the Township of Merton still hassling Steve about the still existing Shop area, or is that pretty much over?

Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:28 am 

John, to answer your about Richard and Ester. Richard is still doing ok, Ester passed away this past February.

Steven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:36 pm 

I just wandered upon the site of this former railway a few hours ago. Although Google maps still shows the shops and some equipment there, the site is bare. The shop is gone, just the cement slab. There is one red 20' x 20' building there, and some scrap iron and lumber around. All of the rail equipment is gone.

Does anyone know what happened to it? The last information I had heard, was there was a White Pass & Yukon #61 under long term rebuild in the shop, but like I said, it is all gone now. On site is a bunch of used chemical storage tanks, perhaps from the coop across the street.

Sad, as I rode it back in the day, the Heisler

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 am 

Mid-West Locomotive & Machine Works, Inc. is in Brookfield, Wisconsin, the owner may have moved it up there.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php ... msg-251783

Quote:
I've talked to the owner of the #61 (Steven Butler) via email quite a bit. Here's what his plans are for the #61:

I do own the #61. I have built a shop to work on it in, as time and money permit. I do not have a plan for it once it is finished. That is a long way off.

Steven

looks pretty serious of a restoration to me... 8-D

this was a pretty good dig to find this, there ya goes, anybody with updates?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:51 am 

SteveC wrote:
The last information I had heard, was there was a White Pass & Yukon #61 under long term rebuild in the shop, but like I said, it is all gone now.
I can tell you where the #61 is reported to be going. But, I'm not sure here it is now located.

Stathi Pappas posted back in March on the Facebook page of his Stockton Locomotive Works that he had traded his Lee Tidewater Cypress sg 2-6-2 #16 to Steven Butler of Morton Locomotive and Machine. In return he was obtaining the #61.

Stathi Pappas is relocating his Stockton Locomotive Works to Antonito, Colorado. He posted last week to the NGDF that once that is done he will move the locomotive. Mr. Pappas earlier this year took the position of Assistant General Manager Trainee and Project Manager at the Cumbres & Toltec and relocated his family to the Antonito end of the line.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 am 

1.5 track miles of Kettle Moraine rail is at the WW&F in Alna Maine, awaiting installation as we build "down the mountain" towards Head Tide. In fact, a few sticks of that rail may be getting installed this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:49 pm 

It seems that a lot of the Kettle Moraine stuff, maybe most of it, found new homes. Kudo's to the owners, for not rushing to a quick decision and taking the time to move things. I wonder about the depot that were used as the departure point for KM trains. I seem to recall that it was moved into the site, rather than being there originally, although perhaps I am wrong on that. In any event, did it end up as kindling, or was a new place found for it too? Photos below were taken after the rail operation was suspended.

Les

Attachments:
215.JPG
215.JPG [ 209.83 KiB | Viewed 8866 times ]
213.JPG
213.JPG [ 184.43 KiB | Viewed 8866 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:05 pm 

Les,

As of this year the only building left out on the property was for the restrooms. Everything else is gone. I believe the new owner plans to install oil tanks on the property. The depot was saved and the new owner moved it to a new location somewhere down by Janesville if I recall correctly. I hope to get down there some time and take photos of it when it is finished.

Mike M.