It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kettle Moraine Railway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 pm 

Two former Lackawanna commuter trailers, with the open platforms, went from Kettle Moraine to the Virginia and Truckee, and remain in yellow and green.

Also, the well-travelled Saginaw Timber 2 was a Kettle Moraine engine, and it was at IRM in the early 1980s.

The Hicks List of IRM deacquisitions -
https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2010/01/irm-deaccession-list.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:14 am 

mmichaud wrote:
Les,

As of this year the only building left out on the property was for the restrooms. Everything else is gone. I believe the new owner plans to install oil tanks on the property. The depot was saved and the new owner moved it to a new location somewhere down by Janesville if I recall correctly. I hope to get down there some time and take photos of it when it is finished.

Mike M.

Mike -

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that the depot was also saved.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 am 

If anyone was wondering, the depot was ex Soo Line, originally Wisconsin Central, from Trevor, WI, first station north of the Illinois state line. It was moved to Northlake about 1970 or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:29 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
If anyone was wondering, the depot was ex Soo Line, originally Wisconsin Central, from Trevor, WI, first station north of the Illinois state line. It was moved to Northlake about 1970 or so.

Thanks Dennis. I'm sure that there are a few of us that were interested in the depot's history. Always nice to see another piece of Soo Line history preserved. The station has now been moved twice and although that's interesting, my guess is that there have been others that have been moved that many times. I wonder though, if any depot was ever moved three times? That might be the record holder if it was done!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm 

The Waterloo indiana station was moved away from the tracks, set as a museum I think, some Amtraky station made instead, but then they decided to use the station and put it back where it was, possibly in a slightly differrent arrangement, thats twice moving.