It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off Topic (Marine Preservation)--U.S.S. Texas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:19 pm 

Another battlewagon in trouble, it seems.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2 ... undraising

Post subject: Re: Off Topic (Marine Preservation)--U.S.S. Texas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 pm 

Another in trouble? Did something happen to one of America's seven surviving fast battleships recently?

Hope the Texas eventually gets her dry berth while she can still be saved. She represents an awful lot of history, both for this country and the world as the sole surviving dreadnought.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:20 pm 

Texas is no where close to a fast battleship classification. The New York class came in at 21 knots as built, but Texas went down to about 19 after the 1925-26 refit... She probably didn't do much faster after the AA battery was added on in the 1942 refit. "Fast" battleships were any battleships capable of 25 knots or greater. Our Iowa, North Carolina and South Dakota classes (all of which have preserved examples) met that standard. As for trouble, they'll all run into the problem of leaks eventually... Salt water tends to do that. The only battleship I can think of that is out of water is the Mikasa, although she's embedded in concrete (which I doubt has done any favors).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 pm 

One of the more interesting things about the Texas is that it uses the same kind of steam engines that were on the Titanic; and they are the last of their kind.

As a Texan, it saddens me that state funds have not been appropriated to dry berth the Texas.

Don't get me started on the Texas State Railway, either....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
Texas is no where close to a fast battleship classification.

Never said she was.

I was inquiring what he meant by "another battlewagon in trouble". That implies that the Texas isn't alone in recent trouble. And since every other preserved battleship in this country is a fast battleship from the WWII era, by default that means that the other ship he's alluding to is a fast battleship.

I suppose that he could've been referring to the Mikasa, the world's sole surviving pre-Dreadnought battleship. But either way, I hadn't heard of major recent issues for any other battleship museum and am curious if I missed something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm 

A World War II battleship is the North Carolina, displayed at Wilmington,NC.

She has had recent work that may be the salvation of those big ships. A watertight caisson was moved along the waterline to make repairs. I do not know if they did inserts or doubles. But they are water tight.

the only one of the WWII battleships that has been to a traditional dry dock for repairs was the USS Massachusetts and that was some years ago.

Another historic steel vessel the USS Olympia would benefit from the same system.

Good news is that the ship Balclutha of 1886 is now in an Alameda, California dry dock getting her ten year check up. She has a steel belt along her water line.

Ted Miles, SF Maritime Park, retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm 

Quote:
One of the more interesting things about the Texas is that it uses the same kind of steam engines that were on the Titanic; and they are the last of their kind.

SS John Brown in Baltimore uses similar engines. The ship is operated on occasional cruises.

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 pm 

LeoA wrote:
Another in trouble? Did something happen to one of America's seven surviving fast battleships recently?

Hope the Texas eventually gets her dry berth while she can still be saved. She represents an awful lot of history, both for this country and the world as the sole surviving dreadnought.

Sorry about the confusion, I'm not the most knowledgeable on battleships!

It's just that, as many here would know, marine preservation makes anything we do look like a cakewalk by comparison. And even military preservation, as in this case, suffers from a lack of resources.

I was aware of the age of the Texas and that she has reciprocating engines. I doubt that anything else of comparable size still exists today.

"Did we save too much and preserve too little?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 am 

USS TEXAS machinery video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdGo-54bknM

PC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 pm 

PCook wrote:

Very cool. On a Steam turbine power plant, the condenser is put under a vacuum to improve the steam flow from the LP turbine, to make the condensation more thermally efficient as well as keep oxygen out of the steam. Did the Ships of Texas' vintage also use steam ejectors to create a vacuum?

Greg

Travel Town Railroad Museum
Nevada Southern Railroad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:26 am 

As an interim opinion while waiting for an answer: I suspect the Texas engines would be perfectly happy with a condenser vacuum no better than about 26" and therefore some sort of mechanical air pump could be used (as with early ship practice) to exhaust air at startup and remove any gases coming out of solution in the exhaust. I believe water-sealed centrifugal pumps would have been available for this service at the time the Texas plant was designed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:31 am 

From my reading, the Texas BB-35 and its sister New York BB-34 were built with triple expansion engines because US manufactures could not supply turbines meeting the Navy's specifications. Several prior orders of turbine propelled battleships had English made Parson turbines. Subsequently almost all battleships had turbines.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 am 

I saw her in 2012 and she was in pretty bad shape then. I was told by the volunteer crew that there were a few compartments sealed off and flooded due to holes going right through to the outside.
The Texas shelled Normandy in WW2 as well as being a WW1 battlewagon. Of all the historic ships in museums in this country, I consider this to be right up there with the US Olympia in Philly in the heading of 'most in need of preservation' due to the history they've seen...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 am 

If anyone would like to learn more information about the U.S.S. Texas here is a video that shows some of the background of the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN_ThoXR9GQ

The video is produced by a company called Wargaming, which creates videogames based around warships, warplanes and tanks. The games are pretty fun if anyone wants to try them, but at the moment on the main Wargaming YouTube channel there are at least 31 different videos about naval ships from countries such as the UK, Russia, Poland, Japan, and the US. If anyone is interested in watching them my suggestion would be to watch the 2 part episode that they have on the arctic convoys that went from the UK to the soviet union during the war.

Arctic convoys part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMf3JbAl0f0

Arctic convoys part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lQc_vyfyOs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 pm 

p51 wrote:
The Texas shelled Normandy in WW2 as well as being a WW1 battlewagon. Of all the historic ships in museums in this country, I consider this to be right up there with the US Olympia in Philly in the heading of 'most in need of preservation' due to the history they've seen...

The Texas's commander actually ordered the ships torpedo protection rooms to be flooded to intentionally list the ship and give her guns more elevation and range.