It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Climax Restoration Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 am 

Understand that this may be a sore subject, but is there any news on the Climax restoration at Cass? Last thing I heard was that the locomotive was to be finished in the Cass shops by DGVR employees. Any progress?

Post subject: Re: Climax Restoration Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:40 pm 

Which one? There are two....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:17 pm 

1551, the one that the Mountain State Railroad & Logging Historical Association guys were working on. Last post says it was almost 80% complete before they got the boot. Is there a plan in place to finish it? Not really interested in the D&G #3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm 

Did a Cass shop tour two weeks ago, the 'big' Climax is still being worked on, boiler on frame, looks like active project. The original D&GV Class B is now stored outside under a big tarp. Heisler 6 is up at Durbin in operating condition.

4 Shays were hot as well, including 11, which was being test run and had just come off the 1472. Getting 11 out the door was the primary mission but got no indication that there was any less interest in finishing up the Climax, just not job 1 until 11 done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:10 pm 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:42 pm 

1) Was the boiler just sitting on the frame or had the boiler been bolted to the smoke box saddle?

2) Has the crankshaft been mounted?

Those two items were next on the list for the MSR&LHA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 pm 

I was in Durbin riding the rocket on Friday. The guys said that getting the shay's out of the shop and track work were the biggest projects. Said that both Climax's were lower on the list.

Track work between Durbin and Cass should be completed by Spring of 2018, but if winter is mild it could be done as early as the New Year.

Trains had an article in one of their latest issues saying that Climax 9 should be out of the shop next year, then followed by Climax 3. Then when they are done and done with WM 6, BC&G 4 will go in the shop, or have all focus put on it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:56 pm 

Was at Cass, WV today and joined a shop tour. Was able to talk to some shop employees that were actively working on 1551. The boiler was bolted to the saddle, steam pipes in place from saddle to cylinders. Brakes were finished including air lines. The employ I talked to said they have been on the Climax full time for the last few weeks and they were working on the steam/boiler piping and the crankshaft.
I was pleased to see work being done and I was told the goal is now for it to be running for the 2019 season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am 

Great news then on the 1551. Have they finished the roadwork on the Durbin - Cass section then? Huge fan of the Cass operation , and hope nothing but the best for them

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:28 pm 

Here's a July 2018 update from the D&GVRR on the Cass to Durbin line rehabilitation.

http://mountainrailwv.com/dgvr-moving-f ... ilitation/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 pm 

Quote:
The Trout Run washout and the additional washout north of Hosterman are the only two major components remaining in this track project. As of July 2018, DGVR has less than 3 miles of track to restore before achieving full connectivity between Cass and Durbin.

Less than three miles to go!! That sounds pretty good to me!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:20 pm 

If you look beyond the bridge in the left-side photo on their web site, you will notice there is NO bank left beyond it. That one's gonna need a massive fill job to overcome. I heard they were even considering another bridge beyond that one to get to solid ground.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 am 

My son and I took the shop tour at Cass on 8/5/18 and it was led by none other than John Smith himself. He gave a great tour and we spent quite a bit of time at the Climax. He was very complimentary of the MSR&LHA and the work they had done on the Climax.

As I understand it, the original bridge at Trout Run was washed 25-30 feet from the ROW out into the Greenbrier River. John stated that he had asked for some guidance from the state on a proper replacement and that has led to significant delays.

http://www.angelfire.com/va/GooseCreekRR/