It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Illinois Railway Museum takes Delivery
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 pm 

11 kilivolts transmission AC but the engine converted it down to DC, the engine used GE 752 motors, as far as I can tell thats pretty much one of your standard diesel motors.

You shouldnt need 11 kilovolts, if you can bypass the systems and if the controls worked on usual standard voltages perhaps IRM can get it to run on their standard overhead.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:07 pm 

The 4601 has been delivered to the IRM. It is clearly visible on the mainline webcam on the IRM website.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From Facebook page of IRM:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:53 am 

And if you're a glutton for punishment, we have lots more pictures here:

https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2017 ... otive.html

Before anybody asks, the chances of getting this thing to operate on 600V DC are identically zero. We already had this discussion on the GG-1.

Confucius remarked: "There is in the world now really no moral social order at all."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 pm 

You would have to reroute power wiring, I have no idea of its complete power setup, if there are any schematics about or whatever, would be curious to know. At a certain practical level it doesnt sound impossible, its about what it's system is and what would have to be done.
Now its in house one can peruse whats what and see whats about it. South Shore had to do plenty to the Joes for them to run on the South Shore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:38 am 

It could be done. Schematics would aid in using existing wire runs but that's all as no existing equipment (most of which is gone anyway) other than traction motors (using 4 out of 6) would be used. Trolley car switchgear & controller, resistor grids, MG, compressor, battery. Yes, it could be done. Will it? No. What would it accomplish? It would be a Frankenmotive, not real preservation / restoration. Better to do a cosmetic restoration and if brakes were made functional one could wire in a diesel MU controller and put a diesel behind it.

If one really wanted to create the thrill of seeing something run on its own the GG1 would be better candidate. More cramped and difficult certainly but much more exciting to see run. A ton of people would come to see that.

Based on reports on other sites the NS cosmetic work didn't happen due to lead based paint which would have been too costly to remove but IRM apparently has a good contractor who can do that work for less.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:25 pm 

Lead paint? i think not. That locomotive wore black its whole life until Conrail, there's no lead in black paint (they use carbon black, a readily available mineral pigment). I don't see any black poking through that paint and by 1976 lead was pretty much out of paint anyway. Also, "blue lead" is not a thing.

The difference is, with the GG-1, it could probably be accomplished with minimal and reversible alteration to historic fabric. With the E44, not so much. In any case step 1 is repair damage and get it back to intended condition. Then the engineering begins.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:01 pm 

I recall it being a nice Orange color while on the New Haven. Loved watching them pull freights through Brooklyn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:04 pm 

what do its current controls use?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
robertmacdowell wrote:
Lead paint? i think not. That locomotive wore black its whole life until Conrail

For the umpteenth time across various forums: THIS IS A NEW HAVEN E33 or VIRGINIAN EL-3, NOT A PRR E44.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:57 am 

I guess what comes around does truly go around. I still find it hard to believe that an authentic NH locomotive was given up by such a respectable New England institution. While the IRM may offer a better future (a running one for that matter) wouldn't it make more sense to keep it at home even as a static display? Oh well it's been done already.

Attachments:
#4601 RMNE.JPG
#4601 RMNE.JPG [ 176.81 KiB | Viewed 7899 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:32 am 

Sorry, typo. I thought I saw a different NH scheme that was basically black like the VGN scheme. Oh well. It'll look real good in that NH scheme...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:38 am 

NWHS looks like they have a full set of electrical schematics on the engine, I -might- go for it myself but it certainly would be required substance need for IRM to have, if they havent already..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am 

robertmacdowell wrote:
Lead paint? i think not. That locomotive wore black its whole life until Conrail, there's no lead in black paint (they use carbon black, a readily available mineral pigment). I don't see any black poking through that paint and by 1976 lead was pretty much out of paint anyway. Also, "blue lead" is not a thing.

The difference is, with the GG-1, it could probably be accomplished with minimal and reversible alteration to historic fabric. With the E44, not so much. In any case step 1 is repair damage and get it back to intended condition. Then the engineering begins.

Lead paint and PA restrictions were specifically cited in the Altoona Works posting.