It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Off Topic (Marine Preservation)--U.S.S. Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 pm 

Brian Norden wrote:
Subsequently almost all battleships had turbines.

There were also six battleships built with turbo-electric drives between 1915 and 1921, viz:

New Mexico (BB40)
Tennessee (BB43)
California (BB44)
Colorado (BB45)
Maryland (BB46)
West Virginia (BB48)

The battlecruisers Lexington and Saratoga, rebuilt into the Navy's first fleet carriers under the same names, also had turbo-electric drive. The extra weight of the turbo-electric system proved its undoing when tonnage limits were imposed by the post-WW1 naval treaties. There's an article about the advantages of the turbo-electric drive here:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-038.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:50 am 

News video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtESuQ4nE2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJcXuDRDytY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:57 pm 

A very good friend of mine works for the state, and in light of her current problems, the governor is currently involved in working for a solution. However, I am loathe to think that a government which let Texas State Railroad go and has been starving Texas Parks and Wildlife for years will spend the proper amount of money to properly stabilize the Texas for future generations. In her current condition, she cannot be towed to a drydock, even if one was available ( there are none any more, to my knowledge in the area which can accomodate her.) She was last out of the water in 1988, when she was towed to Galveston and went into the Todd Shipyards drydock, which is now gone. From what I remember, she almost sank on that journey.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:00 am 

LOOM - Large Outdoor Object Museum

If you think railroad equipment preservation is difficult, the occasional discussion here of marine preservation makes railroad preservation look like a piece of cake.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:14 pm 

USS Texas (BB-35) is a very significant vessel and worthy of continued restoration, preservation, and display. To scrap her would be a mistake. Her history alone makes her worthy. She has hosted many technological firsts and was our nation's first memorial battleship when dedicated in 1948. She also stands as a sole surviving participant of two world wars and the very last of her type.

As our first memorial battleship, the Texas has been a test bed of sorts for other similar museums and in many cases, an example of what not to do. A great effort was put forth in late 80's, which included a haul-out (she barely cleared the keel blocks due to flooding enroute to the drydock) and major refit in the above mentioned Todd Shipyards (which has since closed), as well as the dredging of her slip, and the installation of an improved mooring system. After her return to San Jacinto, a renewed effort at the restoration and preservation of her interior spaces began and has continued with some very nice results. As a native of southeast Texas, I voted in favor of Proposition 4 back in 2007, which ultimately awarded some 25 million dollars toward the continued restoration, and preservation of the ship. The State of Texas conducted studies which produced several options for dry-berthing the ship, which have been determined to be the best long-term solution. Before efforts could move forward with those plans, which would require more than the 25 million, it was determined that the ship was in need of major structural repairs in one of the worst locations, under her engines. The US Coast Guard will not allow the ship to be removed from her berth, due to (very valid) fears that she may sink in the ship channel, become a hazard to navigation, and ultimately cripple commerce shipping in the Port of Houston. There are alternate plans that allow for the dry berth to be built with Texas in her current position. The State has chosen to use the Prop 4 funds to repair and stabilize the ship in an attempt to keep her afloat and open to the public until the long-term solution can be realized. Since then, the State has exhausted all of the Prop 4 funds and then some to keep her going.

They're going to have to s**t or get off the pot this time. Hopefully, this isn't the "Mighty T's" last stand.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:47 pm 

Brian Norden wrote:
From my reading, the Texas BB-35 and its sister New York BB-34 were built with triple expansion engines because US manufactures could not supply turbines meeting the Navy's specifications. Several prior orders of turbine propelled battleships had English made Parson turbines. Subsequently almost all battleships had turbines.

The Texas began construction in 1911 and was launched in 1912. This was the era of the Titanic and steam turbine technology for large ships was in its infancy. So the Texas was designed with reciprocating engines and boilers that burned coal. The next class of U.S. battleships was the Nevada class laid down in 1912. The USS Nevada used Curtiss geared turbines while her classmate, USS Oklahoma, was constructed with reciprocating engines. Oklahoma was the last US battleship with reciprocating engines.
An interesting sidelight to this discussion is that these ships were originally equipped with coal burning Scotch-type fire tube boilers. By the mid 1920's all of these ships were reboilered with higher capacity water tube boilers burning fuel oil.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 pm 

Could the extended rains from "Harvey" bring a final blow to efforts to rescue USS TEXAS in its current condition (leaking hull)? Any news yet on the ship in the midst of more serious concerns for human lives and personal property in the aftermath of the storm?

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:30 pm 

I am also wondering about the condition of the ship during this storm. I know the surrounding area is much lower than the channel for the USS Texas around the San Jacinto battlefield grounds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:59 pm 

p51 wrote:
I am also wondering about the condition of the ship during this storm. I know the surrounding area is much lower than the channel for the USS Texas around the San Jacinto battlefield grounds.

From what I have seen while watching the news some parts of Texas that were hit by the hurricane now tropical storm have gotten over 50 inches of rain with more expected to come. This could literally be the death knell for the dreadnaught.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 am 

Some info from a somewhat unlikely source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarship ... battering/

Also, a live cam:
https://www.earthcam.com/usa/texas/lapo ... sanjacinto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:21 pm 

The web cam shows the ship upright in its berth surrounded by high water. The ship is not list greatly, etc.

The view from the cam is stunning in terms of the amount of water that seems to cover every land surface beyond the ship. Sigh.

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 pm 

As of 5:02 PM local time, USS Texas BB-35 is afloat, riding high in her berth, and appears to be on an even keel. Webcam link as follows: https://weather.weatherbug.com/weather- ... ?cam=LPRTH

Webcam view is of ship's starboard side, berth, and surrounding area.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:33 pm 

Has the State of Texas finally thrown their hands up in defeat regarding the Grand Ole Lady of Texas? According to the October 2019 issue of Naval History magazine, the USS Texas BB-35 “is a losing proposition and frankly, the State is tired of putting money into it. It needs to be somewhere where it’s going to track four to five times as many people.” Their plan is to have her towed to Alabama to be hauled out and repaired before proceeding to a new display site. The article mentions Galveston as the most logical location for display along with the other vessels at Seawolf Park. The belief appears to be, “that if something was not done this legislative session, the next session would provide funding to scrap her.”

Yeah, I have some questions too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm 

When I was there, one of the volunteers mentioned a plan on filling in a berm in front of the ship, draining the water and filling the area around the Texas with dirt.
Sounds like a better fate than how she is now!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:38 pm 

I’m afraid she’ll be lost in transit. I wonder what marine surveyor, if any, has signed off on this yet. That’s not to mention the Coast Guard and their previous concern that she may become a hazard to navigation if she sank while transiting a navigable waterway. If her condition has improved enough to warrant such a trip, that would be great. I am cautiously optimistic, but her pumps currently run at 350 gallons per minute as is.