It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: National Railways of Mexico No. 3028 Status?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 pm 

Short answer is no on both.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 pm 

Where's the great Matt Giardino, doesn't his Alco historical society own the #3028 these days. I believe I remember him saying on the old thread restoration was still on the table but it was more within a limited approach. The money just isn't there right now and the society is still struggling financially. I guess a repatriation to the museum in Mexico City would be more appropriate at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 am 

The ALCO Historical and Technical Society does indeed own the 3028, but it is still under its original lease to New Hope from its time owned by the Great North East Railroad Foundation. Work towards a new lease or new direction for the locomotive's future stalled with the passing away of our board chairman, who was personally working on the project. A new effort has not yet been started, due mostly to lack of active bodies in our organization. I'm having enough of a hard time finding volunteers for day to day operations, let alone taking on this massive project.

I find it best to lay low whenever the subject of the 3028 is brought up because honestly at this current time neither AHTS or New Hope is in a position to make significant changes, and that number always seems to bring controversy. Now if anyone wants to back their truckload of money up to either of our doorsteps I'm sure the situation can change in a hurry, but until that happens the status will remain unchanged, until the next opportunity presents itself.

Maybe some people here would actually like to get involved and help influence change rather than just talk about it and make suggestions fromg behind their keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 pm 

I sure wish I could be more useful on this 3028 business.

I CAN tell you that the NdeM delivered her to the US border with 245 psi, two gauges of water, the air pumped up, and the cab fully provisioned. The only reason she was shut down was ICC paperwork, or lack thereof. She was one of their most recently overhauled Niagaras, Mexico wanted to give us their best.

As far as the idea of repatriating her to Mexico is concerned, they have 11 examples (correct, Mr Mitchel ???) already. 3038 and 3034 are in near operating condition, and 3036 looks to be complete. 3033 was maybe the best of the bunch before the bronze thieves got to her...

Still working on those drawings I promised you, Matt.

Cody and Tom, thanks for those little white lies you told about me....

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:15 am 

Does anyone know why the National Railways of Mexico spelled Niagra differently than the New York Central? Or why that name was chosen instead of calling these 4-8-4 locomotives Northerns?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:55 am 

Ron Ziel told me the Mexicans shuddered at a 4-8-4 locomotive being called a "Northern", as they lived south of the US border. He also related the Mexicans pronounced it as "Nee-a-garra".
Ron spent a lot of time south of the Rio Grande, chasing steam.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:38 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
He also related the Mexicans pronounced it as "Nee-a-garra".

That's my understanding as well, they were unfamiliar with the word and pronounced it how it's spelled, using Spanish rules!

CD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm 

Dick & CD,

CONGRATULATIONS to you two for getting the pronunciation close to correct, which is indeed different than the way they say it in New York.

The spelling in Mexico is "NIAGARA". I usually explain the pronunciation as follows: Knee - a- ga- ra There is a primary accent on the first A. There is a secondary accent on the Ra. Dialects differ around Mexico (just as in the states), the way to say it in Central Mexico, where these engines were concentrated in later years, is "choppy" with every syllable distinct. That is pretty much how they talk on Mexican TV, such as Univision or Telemundo, if you don't have an example handy.

The Mexicans named their premier steam class in honor of the NYC class of the same wheel arrangement, being built at the same time as theirs. Pure admiration, as the operating rules and signal systems for the entire NdeM system were also based directly on NYC practice.

And Matt G, Those drawings I promised should materialize in another month or so. Promises, promises, promises....

Sammy King