It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strasburg Shop Expansion Makes Local News
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 am 

Lancaster Online Article.

There are several scrollable photos at the top, and a video at the bottom. Of course, there are details that are incorrect, for example, "Bruce Ross's" real name is Ross Vana, but hey, at least they spelled the wrong name correctly.

To preemptively answer the inevitable question; no, #4 isn't scheduled to come into the shop at this time.

Post subject: Re: Strasburg Shop Expansion Makes Local News
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:13 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
To preemptively answer the inevitable question; no, #4 isn't scheduled to come into the shop at this time.

Darned!

Lookin' good, Kelly. A lot of work has been done since I was there last month.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:09 pm 

Still very nice.

p.s. there are a few names in the article. I guess they are correct, so one out of ## isn't bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 pm 

Congratulations. You made the local news.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:01 pm 

Kelly: Looks really great. At about 0:30 into the video there is a saddle tank in the background. Looks a lot like the one off of the engine I'm working on: Coos Bay Lumber #11, a 1929 ALCO 2-8-2T. Is the one in the video from a similar engine?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:39 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Jim Baker wrote:
Kelly: Looks really great. At about 0:30 into the video there is a saddle tank in the background. Looks a lot like the one off of the engine I'm working on: Coos Bay Lumber #11, a 1929 ALCO 2-8-2T. Is the one in the video from a similar engine?

I'm not Kelly, but:

Pacific Lumber/Wawa & Concordville/Wilmington & Western 2-8-2T 37, a spiritual if not identical sister to your 11, is at Strasburg receiving work (as it's paid for) for its new owners out west.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:50 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Jim Baker wrote:

I'm not Kelly, but:

Pacific Lumber/Wawa & Concordville/Wilmington & Western 2-8-2T 37, a spiritual if not identical sister to your 11, is at Strasburg receiving work (as it's paid for) for its new owners out west.

I'm curious about the "new" owners. It had been part of the Timber Heritage group near Eureka, CA. Not so any longer? They also own former Pacific Lbr. 2-6-2 #29 , Hammond Lbr. (later Pickering) 90-3 Shay 33, a diesel Heisler and other equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:37 pm 

Quote:
I'm not Kelly, but:

Thanks. I looked up some photos of #37 on-line. Somehow it looks longer than #11, especially the fuel tank. And, 11 never had that big air reservoir (I assume that is what it is) on the front end.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 pm 

Jim Baker wrote:
Quote:
I'm not Kelly, but:

Thanks. I looked up some photos of #37 on-line. Somehow it looks longer than #11, especially the fuel tank. And, 11 never had that big air reservoir (I assume that is what it is) on the front end.

Jim,
Although the 37 was one of 4 of this type to be built new for Sugar Pine Lbr., she was the final one and was heavier than the other 3. Specs show her saddle tank as having greater capacity, 3,000 gallons of water vs. 2,500 gallons for sisters 1-3. I feel that this is what may contribute to her appearing longer. An engineer on the mill switcher that I talked with in 1967 said that she was a "beast" of a puller. Given the added weight, it makes some sense.

Last edited by tom moungovan on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:40 pm 

Kelly,

The shop looks great! Your people did a very nice job with the filmed interview. Getting the interviewer on the Cagney was a great idea!

Nice work,
Steve Piwowarski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:14 am 

tom moungovan wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Jim Baker wrote:

I'm curious about the "new" owners. It had been part of the Timber Heritage group near Eureka, CA. Not so any longer? They also own former Pacific Lbr. 2-6-2 #29 , Hammond Lbr. (later Pickering) 90-3 Shay 33, a diesel Heisler and other equipment.

New is a relative term. Timber Heritage Association owns #37. Work on her had been on hold for several years due to lack of funding. THA now does have limited funding available to restart work, but their contract is at the "when time allows" rate, and we have been inundated with tight deadline jobs lately. Hopefully, she will enter the shop in the not too distant future, and to that end THA is looking for donations, if those stock market profits are burning a hole in your pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 am 

Kelly, thanks for the clarification. I apologize if I got a little far afield on the subject of 37.

Looking forward to the news someday that she is completed and heading West.