It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Locomotive Owner's Manual
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:12 pm 

I'd like all your tips and advice of locomotive ownership for newbies (steam and diesel). Those who have never touched a true working engine nor had any real experience in the railroad industry. I realize individuals like myself who have an interest but don't have any particular skills might find a hard time catching up our own. From everyday maintenance to operating procedures what basics should we know and follow up upon in the future? What did you do differently when you acquired your first piece of equipment? I look forward to hearing your input.

Cameron

Post subject: Re: New Locomotive Owner's Manual
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 pm 

For Diesel-Electric and Electric locomotives, learn right away how to read and use the locomotive physical schematic wiring diagrams. It is a skill that will be useful for an entire lifetime. There is an old saying, "In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man can be King".

PC

Post subject: Re: New Locomotive Owner's Manual
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am 

Read the more practical of the old manuals you can find, wherever you can find them - but then go and work on different locomotives at different places with different people and lay hands on a lot of different jobs. You can't get the manual skills you need from reading, and depending on specific conditions you can only learn to choose the best right way of the many possible to do what needs to be done after years of work and exposure.

The best manual would simply say: "Have deep pockets and a list of good experienced contractors."