It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NS Auctioning Coaches, GP38-2s, Parts, Seats
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
At Norfolk Southern's Roanoke shops on August 17th, Norfolk Southern will be auctioning off approximately 70 high-hood GP38-2's, a pair of MP15s a Railpower RP20CD hybrid assembled by NS, about 100 lots of locomotive parts.....

......... and the five coaches NS rebuilt for steam excursion service.

These five cars were built for the Chesapeake & Ohio in 1950 or so, then were rebuilt for Pittsburgh's PATrain commuter service in the 1970s/1980s, then went to Connecticut DOT for its passenger services. From there, they were stored then sold to NS, which rebuilt them for additional coach service for its 21st Century Steam program.

The auction notes that seats are being sold separate from the coaches; it is unclear at this time if these are the CDOT/PATrain commuter seats removed from the cars during rebuild or the seats last used in the cars in NS service.

More info over in the Classifieds listing. (I am not involved in this auction).

Post subject: Re: NS Auctioning Coaches, GP38-2s, Parts, Seats
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:11 pm 

Some odd ones in there on the locomotive side, too.

Recently rebuilt MP15E's instead of unrebuilt MP15DC's for an example. And perhaps most puzzling of all, recently rebuilt GP38-2's with admiral cabs instead of unrebuilt high hood models that have only ever had routine overhauls and servicing done to them since leaving La Grange decades ago (At a time when several high hood GP38-2 rebuilds are underway at Altoona for 2017 with brand new admiral cabs).

Usually Norfolk Southern's motive power decisions make a lot of sense to me, but there's some surprises in this initial list. I could understand the former Conrail GP38-2 or two that snuck in the last time around, since Norfolk Southern has such a surplus and they were probably mechanically in worse shape than many of the high hoods.

But GP38-2 rebuilds from 2015 at a time when the very same rebuild program has been revived in 2017? Doesn't make much sense on the surface.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:23 pm 

The coaches for sale look great on the outside, and I am sure are in very good shape mechanically, but aren't the best inside - they have 3-across commuter seats that don't rotate, the luggage racks are removed, and I have heard from time to time of a/c issues with them. I am not sure how much demand NS will see for them.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:11 pm 

Usually the AC issues were O.E. However the control systems on the HVAC on those cars as well as the use of dual systems makes the whole package significantly more complicated than it really needs to be. Mechanical was decent.

ctjacks wrote:
The coaches for sale look great on the outside, and I am sure are in very good shape mechanically, but aren't the best inside - they have 3-across commuter seats that don't rotate, the luggage racks are removed, and I have heard from time to time of a/c issues with them. I am not sure how much demand NS will see for them.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:02 pm 

"But GP38-2 rebuilds from 2015 at a time when the very same rebuild program has been revived in 2017? Doesn't make much sense on the surface."

Even odder when you consider that nobody offers new four axle power anymore (outside of the boutique builders who are using smallish 1800RPM engines on to existing frames and trucks) and if you want "new" four-axle power; a rebuild is your only option.

They are also jettisoning off one of their "gen-sets" and there is a Powerpoint floating around that explicit said the gen-sets had disappointing performance and reliability,that along with the re-numbering and storage indicates the gen-set experiment is over.

Of course, NS knows the mechanical and physical condition of their power better than anybody else-maybe they've been beaten to death.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:30 pm 

One major downside of these coaches ( in addition to the poor choice of non turnable commuter seats) is they require HEP as they are not generator equipped.

They'll end up selling them for far less than they spent rehabbing them but to NS its coffee money.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:02 pm 

Hate to see NS break up the 21st Century Steam Passenger Set. Understood there in the business to be making money, not operating steam specials. I'm surprise NS didn't bother to donate them to VMT, NCTM, TVRM, NRHS Roanoke, or NRHS Watauga Valley. Guess their last outing together will be with NKP 765 on the Juilet Rocket Metra trips. -_-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 pm 

Did anyone find the complete locomotive parts list of items to be auctioned? It says on the one page that there's an attachment that can be downloaded but I can't find the link.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:56 pm 

Four of the five Excursion Cars Numbered 43, 44, 46, & 47 have been parked on "4-Pocket" next to Roanoke's East End Shops since late June and will remain there till the Auction later in August.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm 

Link to auction site with details on the 5 coaches set to be auctioned on Thursday (8/17):

http://www.blackmonauctions.com/equipme ... enger-cars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 am 

Small correction to the coach seat part of the discussion. When I was on the former C&O, PAT-Train, ConnDOT cars, legally, earlier this week, they all had 2-2 seating, not 3-2. Only one broken window in the bunch, with fully compliant FRA glazing, but no overhead luggage racks. Ross is correct about the cars lacking self power and yes, they are plain in side, but each car has a working ADA bathroom. Still the railroad did a good job in their overhaul and we should grateful for the effort and having had use of about 300+ seats on the excursions over the NS over the last 5 or so years. I too am hoping they go to a good home, and that depending on their new service, more comfortable longer haul seats are installed. Good luck to whoever is contemplating bids!

G.F.Payne
B'more.

Last edited by Catalpa on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm 

Does anyone know who got the coaches?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 pm 

Word on the street says the prices for the 5 cars went thru the roof, so there were at least 2 spirited bidders (maybe more) that really thought the cars had very high value.

Last edited by Topfuel on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:34 am 

Holland America/Princess Tours,(2) Adirondack Scenic,(2) and NCTM (1) were the winning bidders. Winning bids ranged from $160,000 to $275,00. IMHO way more than the cars were worth. Must have been an epidemic of "auction fever"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 am 

Adirondack Scenic sold these five cars to NS originally. I can't believe they bought two back. And for a lot of money it would seem.