It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Gramlings Get a 2-6-0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:44 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Mr Milhaupt, if you might have any pictures of my Coronet Phosphate #6 from the good old days, I'd sure appreciate it if you could share them with me. Especially anything which shows the woodwork on the cab would be most helpful.

Sorry, Sammy, my research at the time of the Monee->Union move was very superficial and entirely web-search oriented. It did not uncover much.

Regards,
Bob Milhaupt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:06 pm 

I don't suppose there is a list anywhere of the entire Thompson rolling stock holdings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 am 

Interesting one-piece steam dome shown in the first picture by the OP. I'll go out on a limb and assume it was replaced at some point as it seems to be attached to the boiler course via a more modern fillet weld in contrast to a riveted joint. I would have expected to have seen a built-up dome based on the age and construction of the boiler.

Best,
DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:46 pm 

Dear DC:
This locomotive (and thousands of others) has a Baldwin one piece dome, riveted to the boiler. Look closely and you'll see the "oval countersunk head" (Liverpool head) rivets.
This type of dome was patented by Baldwin and these domes were often sold to other builders.
J.David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 pm 

Dear Filmteknik:
The entire roster of John Thomson's steam locomotives can be found in "The Steam Locomotive Directory of North America" Volume 1, pages 50-51 & 138, 161, 165.
J.David
PS: Note that No.18 was never in Chicago. It lost it's lead truck after John's son (Brian?) removed it during a "restoration" that was never completed... JDC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:01 pm 

J.David wrote:
Dear DC:
This locomotive (and thousands of others) has a Baldwin one piece dome, riveted to the boiler. Look closely and you'll see the "oval countersunk head" (Liverpool head) rivets.
This type of dome was patented by Baldwin and these domes were often sold to other builders.
J.David

I'll admit I could not make out the countersunk rivets from that picture. You can see how a passerby could easily mistake this. Thank you for pointing that out.

DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:43 pm 

Found an in-service shot of this engine, via Don's Depot; interesting that the number in the headlight doesn't agree with what's on the engine.

There also appear to be a couple of boxes on the footboards that look like they are permanently attached. Tools? Coupling links and pins? (The engine has a slotted knuckle to couple to link and pin cars.)

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr010 ... pg?fref=gc