It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Maryland Delaware Railroad - Strasburg - New Tourist Tra
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 am 

Well, it's been a long while since anything has happened on this front that I'm aware of - the last article I see is the one I'm offering a link to below, from December 2016. Has there been any updates/progress since then - that others on here might know about and be willing to share? Or is this whole endeavor pretty much done for?

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2016/12/29/ ... t-service/

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 am 

I second Big Jim's request. Since everything I know about this "deal" I have learned from this thread, I'd like to know what the latest railfan generated rumor is as well.

Strasburg Rail Road Mechanical Department

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 am 

The local press has been silent following the initial series of studies. A few interested parties from local government and the chamber of commerce made a trip to Great Smokey Mountain RR and nothing has been said since then.

The concept of a tourist rr would work well in this location.

Wesley
Live from Berlin, MD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:10 pm 

Driving south on Route 113 Monday and north today, I saw a lot of tank cars stored on the Maryland & Delaware from Bishop south almost to Berlin. I also observed that the propane dealer between Frankford and Selbyville had several cars placed for unloading. Also, there is a brand new concrete crossing in place on Route 113 south of Newark, Md. on what will someday be the southbound lanes of Route 113. Construction continues on the new northbound lanes in the same area, but no work yet on a crossing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm 

The tank cars have been stored since last spring. The propane dealer sees regular business There is a hopper car at that site that I think they use for shunting.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 pm 

I have said this before, and I'll say it again.

It is really hard to drum up tourist RR business on the peninsula. Why? Because tourists are going to the beach. Washington DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc. are the big towns to draw from, and there are plenty of folks coming to the beaches of Delaware and Maryland........but they are coming to the BEACH. Anything that draws them away from the beach will have a struggle, and catching them in transit is going to be a struggle too. At QARR, we spent as much as our tiny budget could allow on brochures, TV, radio, beach newspapers, etc. and still struggled to fill up the train. That is why the dinner train at QARR was created, to provide an "after day at the beach" dinner / entertainment.

As much as the railfans would like to see it, proceed with caution.

Maybe Kelly can take this information back to this board of directors, who apparently know nothing about this, and inform them of past history.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 pm 

Mark Jordan wrote:
Maybe Kelly can take this information back to this board of directors, who apparently know nothing about this, and inform them of past history.

We've internalized all of this, which is why you haven't seen an SRC Lines South

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:02 pm 

Here's an update from August 24, 2017:

http://baysideoc.com/eastern-shore-news ... k-on-track

Excerpt:
[Berlin Mayor Gee] Williams said developing the excursion train project is dependent upon reaching an agreement with Tyson Foods to ship product from its feed mill on Bay Street in Snow Hill to Frankford, Delaware by freight train.

“That’s the prerequisite for the excursion train initiative to even be possible,” he said. “The whole concept is moot without the freight service.”

O’Donnell said the railroad, which has lacked freight partners on the 26.9 mile stretch of track south of the interchange in Frankford since 2012, would need to perform infrastructure repairs before reestablishing the shipping route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 am 

As far as beachgoers only wanting to go to the beach our family regularly visited Edaville when we vacationed on Cape Cod. The kids, and adults, need something else to do besides spending every day at the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm 

Last week took the grandkids to Cape May NJ where we rode the motor car train out of the former PRSL station out to the canal and back and then walked to the beach. Several other non-railfan families did the same thing. of course I was there for rare mileage and the grandkids for the beach!