It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Galveston Railway Museum, Houston
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:16 pm 

I have received the following tonight:

"If you wish you can post this to the group.

The Galveston Railroad Museum had a foot of water in the depot from the heavy rains yesterday - about 11 inches in 24 hours. Only damage was to a rug. Equipment in the yard is fine. Clean up will commence immediately.

The train ride, scheduled for late September, has been canceled and might be rescheduled next spring.

Don Harper"

Harry Nicholls
Dallas

Post subject: Re: Galveston Railway Museum, Houston
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:59 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
See also:

https://www.facebook.com/BNSFRailway/ph ... =3&theater

Quote:
Santa Fe No. 315 and vintage passenger cars from the Galveston Railroad Museum wait out Tropical Storm Harvey at BNSF Railway's Pearland Intermodal Facility in Houston on Saturday, Aug. 26. BNSF moved rolling stock from the museum to higher ground to protect it before Hurricane Harvey reached landfall.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:25 am 

Is there any word on how the collection of the Texas Railroading Heritage Museum at Tomball - formerly the Gulf Coast Railroad Museum - is doing? The collection was moved to a storage site in Houston when the Gulf Coast NRHS lost access to their long term museum site a few years ago.

A roster of equipment may be viewed here:

http://texasrrmuseum.org/exhibits/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:10 am 

Howdy, Did all the other equipment, from the Galveston Railway Museum, also get moved or only the equipment showed? Thanks - David Notarius, Wimblington, Cambridgeshire UK, Ex New Hope PA & Houston TX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:34 am 

https://www.facebook.com/TexasRailroadi ... ageMuseum/
------------

RAILROAD CARS AND LOCOMOTIVES WEATHER THE STORM

In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, the historic railroad cars and locomotives destined for display at the Texas Railroading Heritage Museum at Tomball are high and (relatively) dry at their storage location on Houston's east side. The location on the bank of Buffalo Bayou near downtown Houston is built up and a recent inspection of the site found the bayou's water level at an estimated 20-25 ft below track level.

The railroad equipment is owned by Gulf Coast Chapter - National Railway Historical Society, Inc. of Houston.

TOMBALL IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

According to city officials, most businesses (grocery, gas, restaurants, pharmacies, retail, etc.) are open in Tomball. No damage has been reported at the Tomball Depot Museum

----------
Bob H

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:57 pm 

Ah yes...the people who scrapped F's because they got some water damage.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm 

Tomball, TX and Galveston are two different, separate organizations. At Tomball, the museum was in Houston until the property was removed from their use. Galveston is teh place that cut up the AT&SF F units, not Tomball.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 pm 

Yes, I am referring to the topic of this thread which was Galveston. And the photo of their replacement F's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 am 

If past RYPN posts on the subject are correct ; both Galveston's original and replacement Fs started out on the SP, even though they may have different paint schemes in preservation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 pm 

filmteknik wrote:

My understanding of the situation was this...the locomotives, according to FEMA, were more than 50 percent damaged, and therefore, considered "destroyed". They could be replaced with other locomotives, so that is what they did, which meant they had to scrap the F units they had. The decision was out of the museums' control.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:09 pm 

filmteknik wrote:

I haven't held my tongue in my criticism of the Galveston museum, but the damage to the previous F-units (which I rode behind when they hauled the 'Texas Limited') was far more substantial than 'some water damage' - they were subject to several feet of 'storm surge' which was extremely corrosive (salt water + chemicals) and were rotting from the inside out by the time they were torched.

CD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 pm 

That surprises me to hear. In the handful of pictures I saw of them getting cut up, it looked the water line was below the carbody with the damage presumably limited to the running gear and such. So new traction motors and such, but basically unscathed otherwise.

How submerged were they?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:02 pm 

LeoA wrote:
That surprises me to hear. In the handful of pictures I saw of them getting cut up, it looked the water line was below the carbody with the damage presumably limited to the running gear and such. So new traction motors and such, but basically unscathed otherwise.

How submerged were they?

The water covered the equipment at least ten feet deep from what I remember...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:38 am 

Txhighballer wrote:
LeoA wrote:

How submerged were they?

The water covered the equipment at least ten feet deep from what I remember...

Took the words right out of my mouth! I think it was at least 10' over the railhead, and it wasn't 'flood water' like we experienced in Houston recently it was 'storm surge'

CD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:28 am 

Are we saying that FEMA paid for their replacement? Or insurance? I don't how grants from FEMA work but surely they could have made it clear that these were operational equipment now reduced to display-only at a 98% reduction in value. If it was insurance, they may declare a total loss and take title in exchange for paying the claim. But as you know from autos, that doesn't necessarily mean they literally destroy the car. They would sell it to a salvager. Perhaps that was what happened here and the only party to step up was in fact the scrap metal folks. But a darn shame in any case and a pox on all their houses including the museum for not doing that time what they did this time. Glad of that at least.