It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Galveston Railway Museum, Houston
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:28 pm 

Is there any updated info on the status of AC&Y FM H20-44 number 505, at Galveston? Is she also stored high and dry?

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 pm 

Thanks, certainly understandable then that they were crippled.

Still a shame to see them completely scrapped (I keep thinking about the nose/cab donor that is responsible for the Branson Scenic Railway's F7 still being alive and kicking today after a collision), but I'm sure the funds that their disposal generated were put to good use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 pm 

Tom Davidson wrote:
Is there any updated info on the status of AC&Y FM H20-44 number 505, at Galveston? Is she also stored high and dry?

Tom

She's fine (thank god) and very much in the clear from what I've been told. The last few hurricanes weren't so kind to her lower car body. I don't have any pictures to share unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
Are we saying that FEMA paid for their replacement? Or insurance? I don't how grants from FEMA work but surely they could have made it clear that these were operational equipment now reduced to display-only at a 98% reduction in value. If it was insurance, they may declare a total loss and take title in exchange for paying the claim. But as you know from autos, that doesn't necessarily mean they literally destroy the car. They would sell it to a salvager. Perhaps that was what happened here and the only party to step up was in fact the scrap metal folks. But a darn shame in any case and a pox on all their houses including the museum for not doing that time what they did this time. Glad of that at least.

Again, from what I understand, this was a FEMA requirement, not insurance. Another example of FEMA requirements was the Super Dome after Hurricane Katrina. Initial estimates put the Super Dome at a total loss, with 60% damage. The estimates were" refigured" coming in below the magic 50 percent mark. The Super Dome was rebuilt.

As far as escape plans are concerned, all I can say is for a while the museum and the local railroads had no real relationship. Strides have been made in the past few years to overcome that deficit, the results of which you saw manifested last week.