It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bring Back 757 Raises $45,000 in the First Six Weeks!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

Thank you to all of our donors. We're excited to report that the latest donation figure for the BRING BACK 757 campaign is $45,952.43! That's extraordinary for only 6 weeks.
The winner of our 765 Throttle Time drawing is Robert Kess of North Olmsted Ohio. Congratulations Robert, we'll be in contact very soon.

If you'd like to be a part of bringing back the 757, visit www.bringback757.org. Donations are accepted at the museum during our normal business hours. You can also mail your donation to us at:
Mad River & NKP Railroad Museum
Bring Back 757
233 York St.
Bellevue, OH 44811

Post subject: Re: Bring Back 757 Raises $45,000 in the First Six Weeks!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 am 

Mr. Rowlands - Congratulations. This is truly impressive. Have you done any recent on site prep work for the move? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 am 

The first work sessions on the 757 will occur in October.

There are many items on the punch list to address. The list includes but is not limited to:

inspecting and changing pads on the tender journals
changing oil on the cannon boxes
refurbishing the air brake system
inspection of spring rigging and repair/replacement of any defective components
removal of main rods
inspection and cleaning of crank pins/rod bearings
removal of any components not securely attached to the locomotive
installing a door in the plywood wall that closes off the cab
installing a floor over the stoker trough so that supplies can be carried in the tender
rigging up air connections off of the main reservoir so rods can be greased enroute.
rigging up an electrical system so that we have power and lights where needed on the locomotive.

And some other things as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:10 pm 

You're doing great ! Keep it up and many, many kudos for all your efforts.

Kevin K.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 pm 

Rick is one of those guys who throws himself heart and soul into his love of railroad preservation. I recently had the pleasure of meeting him, while he slugged away at spiking a switch, on a hot August day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 am 

Thanks for the compliment Richard! Zach Hall and Dan Pluta are the individuals in charge of the mechanical work on this project. I am there to assist in whatever way possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am 

I was curious if the same people who expressed doubts over Mad River's ability to raise funds would chime in here to lend their perspective on the group raising 46k in six weeks, but it's oddly quiet. They're well on their way to pay for the special move itself at this rate.

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:48 pm 

Kelly, the late science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke, said:

"There are three phases to every project. They are:
1) It can't be done, don't bother me.
2) Well, it can be done but it will cost too much.
3) Great accomplishment! I was behind it from the beginning!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:14 pm 

nathansixchime wrote:
I was curious if the same people who expressed doubts...

People expressed doubts? I was too busy making a donation to notice. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm 

"I was curious if the same people who expressed doubts over Mad River's ability to raise funds would chime in here to lend their perspective on the group raising 46k in six weeks, but it's oddly quiet. They're well on their way to pay for the special move itself at this rate."

It is a "significant" number to be sure in accounting terminology, but like all matters of filthy lucre; to determine how significant one needs to look beyond the number, into the composition. It is more significant if it is the result of many individuals making contributions with enough capacity and dedication to wash, rinse and repeat as necessary-it is less significant if it comprised of one to a few large one-off contributions that comprise a large proportion of that number.

We also know that "rate" may not continue-it may go down because the interested have written the checks they intend to write or it might languish until it reaches some level where fundraising efforts can attract those who might be disinclined to support the effort until it appears close to finish line is cause to open their wallets. Ultimately, time will tell.

It's a good practice not to count chickens until the eggs have hatched. It's the first quarter and you just got the first TD of the game-as a practical matter-a little to early to start dancing in the endzone. If you are old enough to remember this day sixteen years ago from an adult perspective-you remember the ultimate Black Swan-completely upending lives and plans.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Fundraising like this takes many avenues.

Everyone knows about the stereotype putting ten dollars in a collection kettle and walking back. That's the way public TV, the Salvation Army, and other charities want to present all such fundraising. And of course there's an initial blast from the initial publicity.

But now comes the harder, and equally significant, work. Non-profits or individuals with larger funds to donate sit back, see whether this shows signs of good organization and success, and then pony up bigger donations. Then maybe someone else offers to write the big check that pushes it to "will definitely happen," or offers a loan to beat the deadline (see IRM and the TP&W Alco). Or a major railroad offers free transportation, or the like.

This stuff happens incrementally, and there's still plenty of room for failure. As one director of a non-profit excursion line told me long ago when I was just getting too deeply involved into this stuff, "This avocation cannot survive without angels--the rich people or companies that make the big donations. There aren't enough fans or members in any group to do this out of pocket change donations, no matter how much we try to present it as such to get everyone else to do their part."

Now the job of the 757 fans is to keep the momentum going--or keep shovelling coal into the firebox and not just coast, if you will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:09 pm 

Mr. Rowlands - Thank you for the punch list. What is the anticipated timeline on the prep? Hope the weather is cooperative. Great to see continued progress with this.

Richard Glueck wrote:
Rick is one of those guys who throws himself heart and soul into his love of railroad preservation. I recently had the pleasure of meeting him, while he slugged away at spiking a switch, on a hot August day.

Mr. Glueck - Yes, Mr. Rowlands is definitely a major catalyst in the rail preservation renaissance going on in OH. I too look forward to meeting him some time soon. That, and a trip to Maine to check out your impressive undertaking and the fantastic operation at the WW&F, are both on my list.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 pm 

Let me know before you come up and we'll have people on hand to show you around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Let me know before you come up and we'll have people on hand to show you around.

Thank you very much. Hopefully next spring/summer. I'm always up for meeting a fellow former inhabitant of the land of Dashing Dan and Dashing Dottie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 pm 

Scranton Yard, whenever you make it to Youngstown I will certainly show you around and if 58 is running then we will fire up and have some fun.

No timeline yet. I don't think that will be developed until our work session when we sit down and discuss the condition of the 757, what it needs and how we can schedule the work into all of our busy schedules.