It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RGS 20 and UP 4014
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am 

I took the Strasburg Railroad shop tour on 9/5/2017 and saw RGS 20 and the drivers for the UP4014. Pictures can be seen here: https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/strasburg-rr-shop-tour-9-5-2017-up4014-and-rgs-20?reply=74918006414216444#74918006414216444

Post subject: Re: RGS 20 and UP 4014
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm 

Thanks for the pix! I bet the crews at Strasburg find it interesting to be working with something so much newer than most of what they see.

I also noted this comment following the post:

Quote:
ELDODROPTOPMEMBER

Sixteen new tires and crank pins... What is the cost on that?? Gotta be at least $12 or 13 bucks. ��

If more Corporations were willing to make investments like this in the name of Public Relations and Advertising the world would be a more interesting place. Beats the heck out of dumping 5 to 35 Million a year in a NASCAR Sponsorship.

I have to agree with that assessment of NASCAR sponsorships!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:47 pm 

Are crankpins such a disposable item? Why are they all being replaced?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:29 pm 

Steven, I don't know. I assume it has to do with the engine being outside for 50+ years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
According to Hot Water over on OGR says
Quote:
For what it's worth, new crankpins are REALLY necessary since there is no telling how many times the existing crankpins had been resurfaced/turned undersize. Also, the installation of all new crankpins, made to original Union Pacific drawing specifications, will insure that ALL the drive wheels will be PROPERLY turned to the exact same diameter and perfectly quartered. Such dimensions insure proper valve settings when finally assembled.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 pm 

Looking at the 7th photo, showing 4014's drivers lined up,
I'd say they've converted it to plateway operation!! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm 

John - Thanks for posting the photos! It looks like you and Keith got a personal shop tour that day!! That shop is amazing!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:46 pm 

Ron, Thanks, we had a great time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:40 am 

softwerkslex wrote:

Steven,
With the work we've been doing on the C&NW 1385 I'd say that yes, crankpins are relatively "disposable". Consider that to best machine them for stroke and quarter the axle must come out so why not do it while the wheelsets are at a capable shop? If the aim is a "zero mile" restoration then why not start out with all the pins and then all the bearings the same (original and full) size?

My next statement is pure conjecture but if during inspection a crack was found in any pin that would make them all suspect in my mind.

Also drawing from the 1385 work, the cost of the pins we replaced was a relatively smalll percentage of the wheel work......mld

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:16 am 

While the drivers from the Big Boy are the big subject, I noticed something a good deal smaller in one of the photos of RGS 20--what appears to be part of a small Crown park locomotive.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/fileSendA ... G_8411.jpg

It's hard to judge the size from the photo, but the small Crowns came in 15 inch, 16 inch, and 24 inch gauge.

It could well be an engine there for contract work, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't a 15 incher that'll eventually be a new playmate for the Cagneys!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:04 am 

J3a-614 wrote:

Quote:
ELDODROPTOPMEMBER

Sixteen new tires and crank pins... What is the cost on that?? Gotta be at least $12 or 13 bucks. ��

If more Corporations were willing to make investments like this in the name of Public Relations and Advertising the world would be a more interesting place. Beats the heck out of dumping 5 to 35 Million a year in a NASCAR Sponsorship.

I wouldn't. You have to be deranged to think that for a pure public relations standpoint, that a steam locomotive that runs just a few times of year is going to be better bang for the buck than sponsoring a race car, which would be seen by millions and millions of people in person and on TV.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:38 am 

p51 wrote:
J3a-614 wrote:

Quote:
ELDODROPTOPMEMBER

I wouldn't. You have to be deranged to think that for a pure public relations standpoint, that a steam locomotive that runs just a few times of year is going to be better bang for the buck than sponsoring a race car, which would be seen by millions and millions of people in person and on TV.

More effective? Probably not, for the reasons you mention, but being more effective is not necessarily impossible. It would require more PR work in addition to the sponsorship, such as use in commercials or something.

More interesting? Absolutely!! Just by being different from everything else would make it that--and maybe, just maybe, that difference might also improve the effectiveness (along with those commercials, mind you).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:00 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
p51 wrote:
You have to be deranged to think that for a pure public relations standpoint, that a steam locomotive that runs just a few times of year is going to be better bang for the buck than sponsoring a race car, which would be seen by millions and millions of people in person and on TV.

More effective? Probably not, for the reasons you mention, but being more effective is not necessarily impossible. It would require more PR work in addition to the sponsorship, such as use in commercials or something.

More interesting? Absolutely!! Just by being different from everything else would make it that--and maybe, just maybe, that difference might also improve the effectiveness (along with those commercials, mind you).

This is where train collectively fans can't connect with the public at large.
No slam on anyone personally, as this opinion is a popular one among train fans. It reminds me of a co-worker who is huge into modern buses. Bus foamers. I didn't know they existed until I met this guy. Anyway, for a long time he'd come into my cubicle, excited as can be about a new variant of bus he just saw on the road during lunch. I tried to humor him but after this happening plenty of time, even I got fed up.
I told him, "Look, I get it's a big thing for you, but nobody here cares, just like they don't care if I see a steam locomotive the previous weekend or a WW2 fighter plan flying over my house."
He just stared at me with a blank expression. He then yelled out, "HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT think I just saw a [insert bus designation here] isn't cool???"
So here's the point; most of us are the bus foamer in that case. And my coworkers and I are the rest of the world.
Sure, a steam locomotive under its own power looks cool and will hold a non-train-fan's attention for a moment or two. But then, they'll be wondering what they're going to do for dinner.
So, a railroad's options are to sponsor a NASCAR or put the money into a steam engine?
Look, I'm a train fan, but even I would go with the car if that was my job to handle the best PR for my company. Any sane businessperson would, too.
The idea that even someone here can't see that would be the best way to spend a limited PR budget, is downright comical.
We all need to collectively understand that trains are cool for us, but not nearly so (if even at all) for the rest of planet earth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 pm 

p51 wrote:
Look, I'm a train fan, but even I would go with the car if that was my job to handle the best PR for my company. Any sane businessperson would, too.
The idea that even someone here can't see that would be the best way to spend a limited PR budget, is downright comical.

Perhaps you could tell us about the race cars UNP and NSC have sponsored?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am 

p51 wrote:
... He just stared at me with a blank expression. He then yelled out, "HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT think I just saw a [insert bus designation here] isn't cool???"
So here's the point; most of us are the bus foamer in that case. And my coworkers and I are the rest of the world.
Sure, a steam locomotive under its own power looks cool and will hold a non-train-fan's attention for a moment or two. But then, they'll be wondering what they're going to do for dinner.
So, a railroad's options are to sponsor a NASCAR or put the money into a steam engine?
We all need to collectively understand that trains are cool for us, but not nearly so (if even at all) for the rest of planet earth.

I think you underrate the general appeal of steam locomotives. During the NS Steam Program (the original one) I saw rank and file citizens turn up trackside in large numbers whenever the excursions were coming through. Not railfans, many didn't even have cameras. There is just something generally appealing about a steam locomotive in operation - it's both classic and intriguing with all the visible moving parts. Also, they are not filling these excursions with just railfans. If you had a GP-7 coming though town or a heritage unit, I do not think the public would care, at least not nearly as much.

The difference between a steam program and something like NASCAR or the NFL or whatever comes down to marketing. Those organizations are marketing dynamos. They are about flash and bling and things that get the public's attention. Admittedly a steam program is unlikely to ever reach that level of general popularity, however I believe that no steam program has gone beyond scratching the surface of its marketing potential. It is unlikely one ever will because the railroads are not much interested in marketing to the general public. Yes, there are exceptions like the CSX ads of a few years ago, but in general what advertising they do is directed at shippers and financials channels. This only increases the knowledge disconnect between the public and the railroads (which is part of a larger disconnect between the public and all the facilities that make modern life possible, but that is another discussion.)

In any event, because the railroad are not much interested in marketing to the general public, I think it very unlikely that you are going to see any railroad names on NASCAR racers or NFL sidelines. At least with a steam program they can run it on THEIR OWN track.

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad