It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pullman troop sleeper color test
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:54 pm 

I got it.

The name Ditzler turn the light on...dimly... after Sherwin Williams came back with the same formula as Lowes and Menards and PPG paint store said we don't do that kind of paint, I went to an auto paint store where they mixed me up a sample.

42791 is the correct match for the green
81649 looks to be the gold lettering

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:12 am 

Does that 42791 color have a name? It sounds vaguely familiar. Back forty years ago when I was painting at IRM, we were using a Ditzler color named Great Northern Railway Pullman Green. It was the early seventies, and lead laws had forced a lot of colors with sales volume too low to be worth reformulating to become obsolete... but this was available and was a nice color. In addition, Nick worked out a deal with Rustoleum Corp. for several hundred gallons of free paint, our choice of colors, so I prepared a sample plate of the Ditzler color. IIRC, of the three Lackawanna "Boonton" cars at IRM, one was painted with Ditzler, and two with the Rustoleum match. As expected, the Rustoleum lost its gloss long before the Ditzler, and eventually turned somewhat darker, but held up well, for what it was.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm 

Dennis,
Your question prompted me to do a little digging. 42791 has no name other than it's in the green family. No chips available. Special order color only. One might assume PPG could have called it Pullman green. Don't know for sure.

81649 has no name either. Comes up in the yellow family. Special order, no chips. So that could be the lettering color as stated by hytwr1. I'll update my list noted that it could be for lettering.

Hytwr1,
Curiosity killed the cat.... Post a photo of the color when you can.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm 

Did a bit of digging and found a page that will cross difference Dulux codes to Ditzler.

This page lists codes taken mostly from EMD styling diagrams:

http://www.hosam.com/paint/dup.html

It lists the GN Pullman Green color as Dulux 83-4558.

This page:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... ton=Search

Crosses that Dulux number to Ditzler 42791, but gives a date of 1990. Looks like someone had a Dulux sample matched twenty years after I was paining.

There was another common number for a Pullman green that I can't find offhand. It would be interesting to see if there was Ditzler a match to that.

Warning - RANT

With the advent of in-store color matching, anyone can have a color "matched", and can call it anything they want. The problem is a lot of paint lines use white or light tone bases, because they mostly sell pastel architectural colors. I played with the matching at our local Loews; took a sample of chrome yellow and paid for their "mini match" deal where they make you a pint of custom paint to try. The result looked like a dirty Manila file folder. When I questioned it, the pimply faced clerk said, "It's a match. The machine says it matches." Beware.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:24 pm 

Be careful with the hosam list as there are some discrepancies. I've incorporated some of that list into my own where I can find some other references that agree. The previously mentioned yellow either possibly slipped past or more likely it was a typo/copy/paste goof. Even I don't completely trust my own list 100%.

Paintref.com may have cross references on a railroad color code if any of those colors were used on trucks or cars. Some of those colors did cross over into the commercial vehicle lines. Like a lot of the chrome yellows or Swift Red. I have some of those color charts from the DuPont historical color site.

RANT EXTENDED.... I've never seen a color matching system in a big box store that is even close to dead on. Sometimes you can get within three shades with a pristine matte latex wall paint sample if you're lucky that day. And the calibration varies from machine to machine. I certainly wouldn't use them for anything but latex house paint if you're not too fussy. The labs at the automotive/industrial coatings manufacturers have much better equipment, procedures and qualified people to get a decent match if all you have is a drift card, code or chip. Even then, sometimes sort-of-close is all you're gonna get as too many variables are different nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 pm 

Dennis,

Here's the label info off the samples.

Bill

Attachments:
Image967548289.jpg
Image967548289.jpg [ 89.6 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]
Image-1787820592.jpg
Image-1787820592.jpg [ 169.28 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 am 

Termite7 wrote:
I think it looks VERY light to me. It looks more like something the Army would have used to paint trucks then Pullman.

I don't recall the source off hand, but I recall reading once that 'Pullman Green' was the exact same as 'Olive Drab' as used during WWII.

CD