It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rare Mileage: Hurlock - Federalsburg MD Oct 7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:20 pm 

RIDE THE FALL FESTIVAL EXPRESS! Attention: Train enthusiasts, here’s a “rare mileage” opportunity. This pleasant round-trip train ride goes from Hurlock to Federalsburg, MD and back. Train departs from the Hurlock train station at 107 Gay Street. Train rides cost $8 per person. Train rides at 11am, 12:30pm, 2pm, 3:30pm, and 5pm. Tickets usually sell out, so buy early! Tickets on sale at the Hurlock Town Office (311 Charles Street, PO Box 327, Hurlock, MD 21643) from 8am to 4pm, Monday through Friday, 410-943-4181.

See also: Post subject: Maryland Delaware Railroad - Strasburg - New Tourist Train?

Post subject: Re: Rare Mileage: Hurlock - Federalsburg MD Oct 7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:29 pm 

What are they using for a train set / passenger cars?

In the mid-1990s they borrowed the Queen Anne's cars for this trip / festival. When being returned, the cars were left overnight in the Conrail yard, awaiting the local the next morning. A loaded coal train destined for the power plant arrived in the yard overnight, and made a "blind" pushing move "to a coupling" with three units on the head end. The "coupling" was to one of the QARR cars, which collapsed the flimsy coupler and draft gear (ex-PRR MP54 commuter car), derailed the car, and sideswiped a car on an adjacent track, causing the end wall to come apart.

The car was out of service that season, and the next off season we repaired it with a new homemade draft gear box, new draft gear and coupler, and lots of come-along tugging and hammering.

Conrail never admitted to anything, nor paid any damages. The insurance for the temporary operation did pay, but it wasn't much (I don't remember the details.)

Attachments:
QARR wreck car.jpg
QARR wreck car.jpg [ 52.77 KiB | Viewed 7255 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:41 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The town of Hurlock somehow (I suspect the MDDE or a private car owner was involved) ended up with two ex-NS steam excursion cars, one of them 1730--I want to say they were ex-N&W Pocahontas P-S cars from 1941, now with windows converted to opening windows. The cars have been there for about 20 years now, kept in the open at a siding in Hurlock.

Photos: http://biglittlerr.blogspot.com/2014/10 ... cials.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm 

This has been an annual feature for a number of years. Power has been either an Alco or the CF7. The two ex NS cars are owned by the town of Hurlock, and even stenciled as such. Hurlock sponsors the event, MDDE provides power and crew. State-owned trackage where MDDE is the operator.

Decent video coverage from 2015:
https://youtu.be/g0Ekpj-5L-Q

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm 

I haven't been out there for a few years, but my observation was that the cars receive no maintenance from the town during the year and look increasingly shabby from one year to the next. This was confirmed by a local fellow involved with rail matters. For the $8 ticket price you can't complain but I wish the town wouldn't let the cars continue to deteriorate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:48 am 

We went down on Sunday Oct 1 based on wrong information that it was that Sunday. The cars are spotted at the Hurlock MD station. They are working on the interior of the cars, they do need some loving care but not that bad overall.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iIvI3xh1NIAzhSQ22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:58 am 

Glad to read that the cars are receiving some TLC. When I last saw them they had more rust than ever on the exteriors and seats were held together with strips of duct tape.

Yes, the rides are today (Saturday). They're always held in conjunction with the town's fall festival which is scheduled for the first Saturday of each October.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:15 pm 

Here is the eastbound 12:30 train on its way to Federalsburg. They operated in pull-pull mode with the Alco 1203 on the east end and this unit number 801 on the west end. (Sorry I do not know diesel models etc.). Five trains were scheduled. When I arrived at 11 am they only had seats for the 3:30 and 5:00 pm runs, which was too late for my schedule. The volunteer at the ticket table said they take reservations by phone in advance, which I knew but failed to act on in time.

The annual festival offers food and craft vendors. The United Methodist Church sold lunch - I can recommend the chicken salad sandwich. We missed the 10 am parade. The event makes the trip worthwhile. The event would be a great venue for the Gramlings, but I do not have a vote or the funds to sponsor a visit.

Wesley

Attachment:
Hurlock Crop.jpg
Hurlock Crop.jpg [ 83.17 KiB | Viewed 6396 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:47 pm 

I hope someone filmed this year's train, and posts a YouTube video of it.