It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TVRM visit help/suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 am 

Hey everyone, sorry if this belongs in the railfan section. (Feel free to move it there if you feel so, Mods.)

I'm seeing some friends in Tennessee for the second time and they suggested that we visit the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. As much as I'd like to make an all day trip out of this, they aren't railfans by any means and want to do other things in the area as well that day.

Being from Ohio, I don't know jack about the area, naturally! So I figured I'd come and ask what everyones recommendations would be. The date is October 14th if that helps any.

One thing I know for sure I'd like to try is the Missionary Ridge Local. All suggestions and info are greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: TVRM visit help/suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 am 

If you can, try to take one of their dinner train runs. TVRM does a great job recreating the experience of dinner in the diner. They use a Southern modernized heavyweight diner and actually prepare the meals on board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:46 pm 

There's certainly other things to see and do around Chattanooga.
Lookout Mountain Incline Railway
Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel (former Terminal Station) (there was also a large model train exhibit here, but it's closed last I knew)
International Towing & Recovery Hall Of Fame and Museum
Tennessee Aquarium
Hunter Museum of American Art

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm 

Downtown Chattanooga is a tourist paradise, with trails along the Tennessee River and bridges across the river for walking. There are a number of great restaurants downtown. Take a ride on the Incline, which takes you to the top of Lookout Mountain. There is a park (small charge) several blocks away that has great views of the area from the mountain top.

There are several Civil War battlefields to the south of town, plus several small parks in Chattanooga.

The TVRM ride is less than 90 minutes and goes across several bridges and through a tunnel, so most people enjoy the ride.

Lots to do....

Bart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:19 pm 

"See Rock City"

Is it still there?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:21 pm 

If you're a tourist, downtown is pretty cool. I really recommend the aquarium, river trails, and any of the Lookout Mtn. attractions. Chattanooga has had a huge culture shift the last few years and has tons of good restaurants now. No need to waste money going to a lackluster, dying chain restaurant. Mind you, there is no good food near the railroad museum unless you like gas station coffee or $5 pizzas from Little Caesars.

I'd recommend:

Stir - Upscale cocktail bar in the terminal
Brewhaus - German food and beer
Two Ten Jack - Asian and good ramen (expensive)
Publix subs or fried chicken
any roadside bbq pit near downtown
some of the local taco places
Also, there's a remodeled Wendy's near the zoo. It's exactly the same as any other Wendy's.

Just do something you can't do elsewhere. That's all the fun. Chattanooga seems to be keeping it's own character, at least for now. I think you'll enjoy it.

If you buy any beer while in town, try Calfkiller. They do some of the better beer in the region that I'm familiar with.

Steam to Summerville is coming up soon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQsBopj802c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:41 pm 

Lots of trains at TVRM on October 14, but no "Dinner on the Diner" trips.

http://www.tvrail.com/calendar

Lots of steam, too. SR #630 is scheduled to pull all five "Missionary Ridge Local" trips, while SR #4501 should be on the "Summerville Steam Special" excursion. "Halloween Eerie Express" rides will be diesel-powered (probably TVRM #1829 or NC&StL #710...although could be TAG #80 or others.)