It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EMD Model 40's
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:54 pm 

A few years back, there was a thread on here about these small two axle switchers. I had one near me at Newport steel we were waiting to try and preserve. Apparently a Loco rebuilder near Chicago bought it and that was the last I've heard of it. The serial or frame number was 2284. Anyone potentially have any leads on where it went?

Joe

Post subject: Re: EMD Model 40's
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:17 pm 

Joe -

When the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum was in the process of working to get Grasselli Tower set up for a move to our museum site, an outfit named Professional Locomotive Services moved into an emplty plant a couple of blocks north of the tower site. We were too busy with the work at Grasselli to do much investigation of that company but one thing we did find out was that they had acquired a Model 40 that they planned on rebuilding. They needed a small locomotive due to the tight confines of the switches and track leading into the building. I don't know if this is the one you are referring to, or if they ever got the unit restored to service. Once Grasselli got moved to North Judson, we were busy with other things.

I'll send you some other info in a PM.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:16 pm 

Ya have to love RYPN. I was able to make contact with the owner AND get updated photos of the engine. They've spent the last few years fabricating parts and getting the engine back together. They tell me they spent roughly 2.5million to put it back to better than original shape. I wonder if anything they learned could possibly be used on others? Now to figure out how to post a forwarded photo.....

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
googanelli wrote:
They tell me they spent roughly 2.5million to put it back to better than original shape.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!???!

FOR A LOCOMOTIVE THAT IS SO DAMNED SMALL THAT IF YOU FLOOD THE PRIME MOVER YOU CAN BASICALLY FLIP IT OVER YOUR SHOULDER AND BURP IT?!?!?!?!?

(Photo from here: http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/emcemd-model-40-on-cushing-branch.html )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:00 pm 

I always thought a Model 40 coupled to a DDA40X would make one heck of a display.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:03 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
FOR A LOCOMOTIVE THAT IS SO DAMNED SMALL THAT IF YOU FLOOD THE PRIME MOVER YOU CAN BASICALLY FLIP IT OVER YOUR SHOULDER AND BURP IT?!?!?!?!?

LOL! Now that image will give me laughs for days!!!

Give me 2.5 million, and I'll make you a couple of them, brand new, so you have bookends.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 am 

googanelli wrote:
They've spent the last few years fabricating parts and getting the engine back together. They tell me they spent roughly 2.5million to put it back to better than original shape. I wonder if anything they learned could possibly be used on others? Now to figure out how to post a forwarded photo.....

Joe

Like others, 2.5 million? For a few 10s of thousands, I could re-engine our model 40 with a tier 4 truck engine and rebuild everything else.

And I like the 6-71s anyway. Tinker toy of diesels.

And its not that really great with tight curves anyway. Relatively long wheel base considering its only 2 axle.

Travel Town Railroad Museum
Nevada Southern Railroad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:00 am 

atsfm177 wrote:

And its not that really great with tight curves anyway. Relatively long wheel base considering its only 2 axle.

Curves aren't the problem at P.L.S. They have a restricted amount of space after the switches and pushing/pulling a locomotive into/out of the Shop building was! It's kind of like why they used saddletanks at roundhouses; because their shortness was needed when they were riding the turntable with a much longer steamer. Thus the need for the Model 40.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:08 am 

Les Beckman wrote:

Curves aren't the problem at P.L.S. They have a restricted amount of space after the switches and pushing/pulling a locomotive into/out of the Shop building was! It's kind of like why they used saddletanks at roundhouses; because their shortness was needed when they were riding the turntable with a much longer steamer. Thus the need for the Model 40.

Les

Ahh, for that it is good. But I still can't see how a 1940s Model 40 would be better than a more modern track mobile.

Greg

Nevada Southern Railroad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 am 

After being dumped outside under a tarp behind the building for years, the AMF EMC40 known as "Big Bill" (see Mar. '72 TRAINS?) was wonderfully restored and is a centerpiece exhibit in the York, PA Agricultural and Industrial museum in downtown York. Even the cab is open for inspection. For years it was 'the faded pink thing under the tarp'.

https://i0.bookcdn.com/data/Photos/Big/ ... trial.JPEG

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/543 ... 0b6f39.jpg

One of the strangest oddball/unique features on an EMC 40 is the rounded 'cutouts' underneath the noses to clear the brake levers and cylinders.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:35 pm 

Sometime between 1970 and AUGUST 5, 2000 I had and took the opportunity to see, photograph this Loco then be at the Helm of this loco due to a friend who once worked for BUFFALO CRUSHED STONE. Two ROUNDHOUSE/ ATHEARN had produced a HO-SCALE MODEL of EMD's MODEL 40.

Mr. Starr
Attachment:
ATH89560 copy.jpg
ATH89560 copy.jpg [ 106.59 KiB | Viewed 12288 times ]

Attachments:
Buffalo Slag-TJStarr copy.jpg
Buffalo Slag-TJStarr copy.jpg [ 68.15 KiB | Viewed 12288 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:02 pm 

What engines do these use? Wiki claims they have 2 detroit 6-71's. especially once you add the fan, radiator, and generator, the hoods look roughly HALF the length they need to be.

Also claims they are 84,000 pounds?

The 6-71 may be in limited production yet, for military use. You can still get reman from detroit and there should be 100% parts availability.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Acciording to Critters, Dinkys & Centercabs by Jay Reed, the eleven Model 40s built had a pair of GMC 6-71 engines running a common generator under the cab--one spun left-handed and the other right-handed, so it was a common power train--"this was a celebrated feature of the 71 series (their engine blocks were entirely symmetrical, so that the output end could be either end)."

The 6-71 is a 7-liter inline six rated for 238 hp, according to Wikipedia, which also says the 71 series was discontinued by GM in 1995.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:44 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Acciording to Critters, Dinkys & Centercabs by Jay Reed, the eleven Model 40s built had a pair of GMC 6-71 engines running a common generator under the cab--one spun left-handed and the other right-handed, so it was a common power train--"this was a celebrated feature of the 71 series (their engine blocks were entirely symmetrical, so that the output end could be either end)."

The 6-71 is a 7-liter inline six rated for 238 hp, according to Wikipedia, which also says the 71 series was discontinued by GM in 1995.

The 71 series was probably one of the most versatile families of engines being produced in everything froma 2-71 inline up to a V-24. Even in the 6-71 variant there was probably a dozen or more setups with RH and LH rotation, Exhaust on Right or Left, supercharger on RH or LH.

Horsepower ranged a lot too depending on being simply supercharged (all 71 series engines are 2-cycle so must be supercharged) or turbo-supercharged and what size injector is installed.

The engines in Travel Town's Model 40 are rated at 150 HP each giving a total HP of 300 when both engines are installed and running. As stated above, there is a single generator spliced between the two diesel's and a belt driven air compressor driven from the back side of the main generator.

Electrical system is 32v.

It has a linear throttle so there are no notches as in a road locomotive and no MU capability.

Greg

Nevada Southern Railroad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:59 pm 

The original EMD demonstrator for the model 40, 1134, still exists. It is currently in storage in Stellarton Nova Scotia at the Museum of Industry. It is out of sight from visitors but at least now it resides indoors. She is currently painted in the green and yellow of DEVCO, which was the final owner before it went to the Museum. DEVCO (Cape Breton Development Corporation) used it as a shop switcher at the shops in Glace Bay. Before all that, it was used at the GM plant in St. Catharines, along with another rare, actually one of a kind GM Diesel, a GMDH-3, which is now in Michigan. 1134 was also used as a lease unit by A. Merrilees. 1134 (DEVCO 20) was the only Model 40 to make it into Canada. I had the chance to get in to see it on a visit many years ago. Her McKinnon Industries (GM) were still visible under the green and yellow Devco paint. Not sure where my pics are at the moment.