It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nobody saw this? GP10 on Gov Liquidation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:00 pm 

Last edited by superheater on Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Nobody saw this? GP10 on Gov Liquidation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:33 pm 

It was only up for two days. Really doesn't leave anyone much time to do anything about it. I'm sure someone out there got a really good deal on it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:25 pm 

rob216 wrote:
It was only up for two days. Really doesn't leave anyone much time to do anything about it.
This. I received an email from the auctioneer, dated 10/02/2017 02:15 PM, that told me the bidding would end at 10/04/2017 0400 PM EST.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 pm 

Before going to sale, I was involved with a non-profit looking to acquire the locomotive through federal donation. I could not get a quote back from BNSF quick enough for the organization to make a decision before their time to get the locomotive ran out.

I then approached the Air Force about requesting the locomotive for use here at Shaw AFB, as our 80 tonners are no longer supported by the Depot that maintains all Army rail equipment. By the time I got all the approvals it had passed the requisition timeline and went to the auction block.

The two day auctions are very common for Govliquidation. I have personally bought many trucks and equipment from them in the past. If you think two days is bad, Govplanet lists things for 5 min... if a bid is placed the time extends but only by 2 more min. You must strike while the iron is hot! I purchased a long frame 80 ton from Govplanet for the F&N last fall.

I have spoken with the crews who used that locomotive and they said it was in good shape and ran very well, with less than 500 hours since a depot level rebuild. The Army is investing in NRE built gensets and will be surplusing more geeps in the future.

This auction was a sealed bid, lowest amount was $25. So conceivably someone could have sent in a bid for $25 and if no one else bid, they won it for $25... I did finally get my shipping quotes and it would have been close to 30k to get it moved to the East coast. I am betting someone got a heck of a deal on it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 pm 

I was involved with a non-profit looking to acquire the locomotive through federal donation.

Is that something that has happened in the past, or you have just sought

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm 

it happens in the Law Enforcement an the Fire service too. Usually involving a local Congressman. Dear God its out!!! Someone will start an investigation and it is going to stop. Its not following the rules, giving stuff away OMG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 pm 

That locomotive may have only been up for bid for 2days, but it had been listed on the government bid site for close to a month.

I know someone that was looking at it, but it would require a trip out there to inspect it. No one on site could tell use if it had alignment control couplers or not and the BNSF said they would not move it without them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

And now it is for sale just after a day or so:

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... p?id=19111

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:49 pm 

superheater wrote:
I was involved with a non-profit looking to acquire the locomotive through federal donation.

Is that something that has happenedor evn in the past, or you have just sought

States usually have a fed surplus office. A non profit that meets their states guidelines (open so many days a year, etc) can request through the state federal surplus when the item goes through the donation phase. Donation is a little misleading, since there usually is a charge of some sort by the state. Also most require the item to be kept and or used by the organization for months or even years, to prevent abuse. I.E.getting items then immediately selling them.

I see whoever bought it wasted no time in tying to sell it. Tells me it was probably not a railroad that bought it but someone who thought they could flip it quick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 pm 

bory2502 wrote:
And now it is for sale just after a day or so:

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... p?id=19111

Sterling also tried that in 2014 with the Baldwin S12 that ended up being scrapped in 2015.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 am 

Alignment control couplers shouldn't be an issue in moving this locomotive. The Army routinely cycles its locomotives through its rail shop, a tenant organization at Hill AFB in Ogden, UT, for depot-level maintenance and I've never heard of any of its geeps being denied movement for this reason.

For those unfamiliar with the rail shop, here's an article on it:

https://www.army.mil/article/74040/dgrc ... overhauler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 am 

The Army may be able to move it's locomotives, but it is NO longer owned by the Army.

A party I know contacted BNSF about this locomotive and way told that they would NOT move it without alignment control couplers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:39 pm 

It went for more than $10,001. That was my bid. Sealed bids are super secret. I don't understand how that is possible since the property was public-owned.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:28 pm 

scwillis51 wrote:
It went for more than $10,001. That was my bid. Sealed bids are super secret. I don't understand how that is possible since the property was public-owned.

Several years ago, they sold a railroad crane in Washington state with very few hours on it by "sealed bid".

I tried to find out the sale price, even wrote a letter to my U S Senator and had no luck at finding the price.

This is taxpayer property and it should be public information.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 pm 

scwillis51 wrote:

Sealed bids generally means that bids are submitted in a sealed envelope so no on else can see them prior to the specified bid opening time - keeps things honest. The bid results are usually public after they've been tabulated. At least that's how it works on municipal and federal construction projects. Shouldn't be any different for an auction.