It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nobody saw this? GP10 on Gov Liquidation
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:52 pm 

jayrod wrote:
scwillis51 wrote:
It went for more than $10,001. That was my bid. Sealed bids are super secret. I don't understand how that is possible since the property was public-owned.

Sealed bids generally means that bids are submitted in a sealed envelope so no on else can see them prior to the specified bid opening time - keeps things honest. The bid results are usually public after they've been tabulated. At least that's how it works on municipal and federal construction projects. Shouldn't be any different for an auction.

There phone number is on their website, give them a call.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:58 pm 

jayrod wrote:
scwillis51 wrote:
The bid results are usually public after they've been tabulated. At least that's how it works on municipal and federal construction projects. Shouldn't be any different for an auction.
Govliquidation has a Past Bid Results section on their website, but Event ID 15472 (the locomotive)is not listed there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:57 am 

Now on Sterling Rail

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... p?id=19111

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 pm 

I called Gov Liquidation after the auction to see if they would tell me the selling price. They said that they do not disclose the sale price on sealed bid auctions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am 

Could this be FOIA from the fed? The auction site can keep it secret but surely this meets FOIA guidelines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:08 pm 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
Could this be FOIA from the fed? The auction site can keep it secret but surely this meets FOIA guidelines.

The auction company claimed to me that they are a private company and that they do not have to reveal the bid results.

I took it to my U S Senator and got no where. I just decided it was not worth the time to do a FOIA filing.

Items that are not done by sealed bid, clearly have an area where you can see the bid results, so my question was, why not the sealed bids.

Before the government hired a private contractor to handle the sales of surplus property, government employees did this. This was also before the computer age and all was done by mail in sealed bids. But even then the bid results could be had. There was a company that would publish the bid results for a price, you subscribed to their services.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:20 pm 

That's just not right. I totally believe what you're saying, but don't agree with the policy.

It's government property. The public should be able to know what it was sold for. This is taxpayer funded property. Seems like a system that's ripe for abuse.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:13 pm 

Hmmm.... The auction company has a contract to sell for the Fed. The auction company may have a policy to keep sealed bid results private but somewhere, somehow you should be able to find out what the Fed receives after the paperwork is completed, filed and money collected and paid. There'd have to be a report generated somewhere. If you find out the gov't cut, you can add back in the buyers premium to determine the final bid price. You'd have to ask the agency that handles the contract with the auction company - don't have the foggiest of who that would be, though. You might have to dig for the info and it'll likely be a huge pain in the butt. You'll have to ask yourself if your curiosity is that really that strong or if the value of your time is worth the effort.