It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NKP 757 Progress
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 am 

A group of us from the Mad River & NKP Museum were at the Railroad Museum of PA last Friday and Saturday working on the NKP 757 to prepare it for it's initial move to a track closer to the restoration shop. We added oil to the tender journals, serviced the trailing truck journals, cleaned the cab and generally gave the locomotive a good inspection. Then on Tuesday the Strasburg Railroad successfully moved the 757 out of it's enclosure in the front of the museum and spotted it in the rear where it will be easier for us to make the rest of the preparations for movement.

Some initial air brake work was performed on the locomotive as well. We got the tender brakes to set up and release as well as the foundation brakes for the No. 3 and 4 drivers. Still work to do to get No. 1 and 2 to function, but it was good to see any component on the 757 function again after so many years. The Butterfly fire door was rusted shut but with the help of a steel wedge and hammer it quickly freed up and we took a look into the firebox. Much to our surprise all of the grates and arch bricks are still in place. After that I opened up the smokebox to find that it too is fully intact with all screens and baffles still in place.

Now that the 757 has been moved we can continue our work servicing the journal bearings as well as removing the rods, addressing the crank pins and replacing the side rods. We also plan to add air lines to make on the road re-greasing of the crankpins easier. There are many more items on the list that are not listed here so this is not an all inclusive explanation.

We have no set timeline on when the 757 will make it's trip west. It is better to just let the pace of work and the needs of the loco dictate when the movement will happen.

Work will continue on the 757 over the fall and winter.

Post subject: Re: NKP 757 Progress
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am 

So... it's going to move on its own some day?

Killer!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:25 pm 

Mr. Rowlands - Thanks for the update. Sounds like the work is going well. Are you or the museum going to post any pics or videos?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm 

Scranton Yard wrote:
Mr. Rowlands - Thanks for the update. Sounds like the work is going well. Are you or the museum going to post any pics or videos?

Mad River’s Facebook page is full of pictures and multiple videos on their progress. I like how Facebook gives institutions a much larger potential audience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 pm 

What is a pleasant surprise is that the locomotive is apparently going to move on its own wheels.

And from Mr. Rowlands' comments about what is there, yes, a return to operation sounds quite plausible, if, as usual, expensive. (I hate to think of what the weather has done to the engine over the years.)

In any event, let's wish Mad River the best in all of this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 pm 

hullmat991 wrote:
Scranton Yard wrote:

Mad River’s Facebook page is full of pictures and multiple videos on their progress. I like how Facebook gives institutions a much larger potential audience.

hullmat991- Thanks for the heads up. Great stuff on the FB page. A lot of times Mr. Rowlands mentions posted pics/videos, so I thought I'd ask. Looks like they had a productive couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
So... it's going to move on its own some day?

Killer!

No. Cosmetic only. http://bringback757.org/faq

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm 

We posted the photos that we took to the Mad River Facebook page. I have some raw video from my Go Pro which will go to Dwayne to be edited into a video which will be posted on Mad River's Youtube channel. As soon as I got back home I started working on getting things ready here for our first Steam School to be held this weekend, so I haven't had a lot of time for my usual postings.

The plan is for NKP 757 to roll on it's own wheels to Bellevue but it will not be restored to operation. If we ever get a bug up our butts to see the 757 run again we will beg our friends in Fort Wayne to renumber 765 for a day! Much cheaper.

So far we are over $62,000 on the Bring Back 757 fundraiser.

https://www.facebook.com/madrivernkpmuseum/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC24uA4Vi9UsPP8sl2tvE-RA/featured

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:19 pm 

Mr. Rowlands - Great idea on the number swap. The posts on the MR FB page are great. Looks like you had a very productive session. Good luck with the boiler class. This is a wonderful way to meet the educational aspect of the 501 (c) (3) status and also to develop new volunteers. Hope it goes well for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:49 pm 

In the recent Bring Back 757 email, a picture of 757 was shown where it looked like the locomotive was repainted. Has this been completed or was this just a great wash job? The tender still looked the same from what I could see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:46 pm 

She has indeed been repainted.

Rob Gardner