It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RJ Corman 2-10-2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 pm 

Hi,

Just now on my Instagram page, somebody reported that the RJ Corman-owned Chinese QJ at Lexington, KY has been scrapped. Can anyone confirm this?

Thomas Dyrek

Last edited by Trainkid456 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 pm 

The last news story I could find on it was from Midway KY, where RJ Corman was trying to have it placed in a park and was asking for money from local government last year:

http://midwayky.blogspot.com/search?q=steam+engine

I know it was out of tube time, but it doesn't really make sense that they would scrap it, the running gear, frame etc. were only 30 years old or so. Why not sell it to some operation that doesn't care about authenticity and is trying to attract "daisy pickers"? But I am not really up on the economics of pulling that off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:16 am 

Saw it at the shop a few days ago, still in one piece! Engine has 5 years and 5 months of tube time left. Don't know if it's for sale, make RJC an offer!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:59 am 

kbarnett wrote:
Saw it at the shop a few days ago, still in one piece! Engine has 5 years and 5 months of tube time left. Don't know if it's for sale, make RJC an offer!

Well she has 59 inch drivers and 63,235 lbf of tractive effort - not too shabby. With the longer tender she measures out at 95 foot, 10 inches.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:22 am 

Very difficult to wrap my mind around cutting it up, just to get it gone. Certainly the RR has enough track to hold an idle locomotive of this type for an indefinite period. I suppose there would be taxes of some kind.
Some enterprise might purchase it, Americanize it, and go from there. No real gain by destroying it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm 

Why the loss of interest in it, after all the trouble they went to bring them over?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:21 pm 

There were never really any reasonable long term plans for the RJ Corman QJ apart from RJ Corman and Henry Posner collaborating on finding the engine a home.

With Corman's passing and the local debacle over the enginehouse for display, the QJ is but a small but strange entry in modern steam restoration and operation. It was good - mostly - while it lasted.

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:28 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Kimball wrote:
Why the loss of interest in it, after all the trouble they went to bring them over?

When people want a pick-up truck, and you offer them a Peterbilt or Mack tractor.........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Kimball wrote:

When people want a pick-up truck, and you offer them a Peterbilt or Mack tractor.........

I am sure someone here could do the numbers in their head in a second about how many passengers it would take to break even with the QJ compared to say Flagg Coal #75. But if you had a place with enough riders and a tough grade (D-L south of Scranton?) it (edit: could possibly, I'm not positive)make sense I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The only currently running tourist railroad that could even possibly make an economic and/or horsepower case for a QJ would be the Grand Canyon Railway, and they have some tight wyes at both ends....... and F40PH's that are easier on the track......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 pm 

The only currently running tourist railroad that could even possibly make an economic and/or horsepower case for a QJ would be the Grand Canyon Railway, and they have some tight wyes at both ends....... and F40PH's that are easier on the track......

And Western Maryland Scenic, except they have their hands full with the 1309.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:40 pm 

Modify the living daylights out it and make it fit whatever lost configuration you wish.
That's a long wheel-base.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 pm 

PMC wrote:
But if you had a place with enough riders and a tough grade (D-L south of Scranton?) it (edit: could possibly, I'm not positive)make sense I think.

Over 90 foot with that tender so it can't use the turntable at SNHS. And the DL can't run steam excursions on their own.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 pm 

PMC wrote:
Kimball wrote:

I am sure someone here could do the numbers in their head in a second about how many passengers it would take to break even with the QJ compared to say Flagg Coal #75. But if you had a place with enough riders and a tough grade (D-L south of Scranton?) it (edit: could possibly, I'm not positive)make sense I think.

Could you imagine the freak out from the “Steamtown has too many Canadian locomotives crew” if a Chinese locomotive showed up in Scranton? Brains would melt.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:35 am 

robertjohndavis wrote:

Could you imagine the freak out from the “Steamtown has too many Canadian locomotives crew” if a Chinese locomotive showed up in Scranton? Brains would melt.

Rob

On it's way to "Moscow," no less. ha ha